Your Most RELIABLE, TROUBLE-FREE Vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by pezzy669

What I would give for a early-mid 80's W123 300D - anyone who has a good example nowadays hangs onto them until they are ready for the scrap yard.

It depends on the condition and miles/Km. Throw away any sort of book that may list some value away, its the car and what you are willing to pay for it.
They can get quite pricey for a nice to pristine example.

Originally Posted by Trav
Awesome cars in every way, their lack of high speed on the non turbo diesels was more than made up for with the sweet sound of that diesel engine at high rpm (for a diesel).

Our 123 240Ds were indeed slow, but they did the job and the little four cylinder did sound good with some revs, like on an interstate trip.
Kind of a hard mechanical sound, but really sweet.
Liked those cars for their excellent suspension. No car I've ever driven has offered a better balance of ride and handling.
Ride was smooth over the roughest surfaces and handling with the engineered in oversteer in hard corners requiring no correction at all yielding effortless fast driving.
Great cars.

95 dodge 12V cummins 5 speed,

never done a darn thing to it, new balljoints, new batteries, 310K. second clutch was installed at 240K.

next would be the 2012 civic EX. 180K, brakes and oil, tires. nothing else. great little car.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Originally Posted by clinebarger
My current daily driver.....2006 Chevy 2500HD, Over 400,000 with nothing but maintenance items except a couple sets of transmission cooler lines. Engine, Transmission, Starter, Alternator, Radiator/Hoses, PS Pump/Hydroboost/Hoses, AC Compressor, Injectors, Injection Pump, U-Joints/Carrier Bearing, Wheel Bearings, Engine/Trans mounts, & Every Sensor on the truck is still original!

A good truck for sure. How does GM get those two piece driveshafts with 3 u-joints and a carrier bearing to hold up for so long?

Can't really give credit to GM as 2-piece shafts are made by Dana-Spicer where most of their 1-piece shafts are made by AAM.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by pezzy669

What I would give for a early-mid 80's W123 300D - anyone who has a good example nowadays hangs onto them until they are ready for the scrap yard.

It depends on the condition and miles/Km. Throw away any sort of book that may list some value away, its the car and what you are willing to pay for it.
They can get quite pricey for a nice to pristine example.

The reputation is funny for these cars. My parents hd one living in Egypt and I as kid never thought much of it except it was decent car and a fancier taxi. I liked my dads K5 blazer which was a site vehicle . The AC was way better and neat to peer over other cars.

BITOG has an odd fetish for taxis

Last edited:
Chevy Silverado 2WD truck with old style iron block 4.3 and 4 speed automatic. 2013 was the last year for them. The 4.8 was even better but didn't get good gas mileage. My 4.3 averages 18-19, up to 22 on a trip.

Easy. My wife's 2006 Acura TSX. Currently at 215K. Drives pretty much like it did when new. I'm not seeing ANY oil consumption what so ever. The only think that needed done was a recall on the upper PS hose. OEM alternator went out at around 140K and I keep putting cheap [censored] Advance Auto ones in and they last for 30K-40K or so. I drain the ATF when I think about it. 3 qts out, 3 quarts in. I usually use the Honda ATF, but I have used the Valvoline Import on occasions. I usually use PP 5w-30 oil, but I have from time to time used 0w-40. This has to be the best motor Honda has ever built. I would have thought I would have had some trans issues by now, but knock on wood. I did change out the trans filter at 60K on the thing. Love this car. Wish they would never have stopped making it. Still hauls [censored] when I need it to.

Also, been t-boned by a propane truck, backed into by a U haul, and my wife has had a handful of accidents in it, that I know of at least:) Car is a tank. Drives straight as an arrow until this day.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, it was a Plymouth. 1993 Sundance V6 5-speed "Duster". Was also one of my favorite cars. Never darkened the door of a service department in 5 years and 74,000 miles. Castrol GTX 5W-30 and Fram filters every 3,000 miles, only Amoco Ultimate 93 until I moved to Texas and couldn't find it anymore, then Exxon 93. Contrary to everything I'd ever heard about the Mitsubishi 3.0 engine, it never burned a drop of oil.

I'd love to have it back as a daily driver but I'm sure it's not of this world anymore.

Sundance.JPG

My dad bought my mom an 89 Dodge Shadow in black cherry that looked similar to that. Very good car that we had for 10 years or so. I think that was the first year where they made the headlights flush. It had the 2.5 liter 4 cyl engine. Bought it new for $10,500 out the door and my friends said it looked like a $20k car when I drove it to high school occasionally. Which sure beat driving the 80 Olds Omega to school but that was pretty reliable for the 12 years we had that.

I don't know what it was about that car, but I just couldn't get enough of flogging it. At 2700 lbs, 141hp & 171 lb-ft felt like a lot. It surprised quite a few people at stoplights. Such a smooth little engine that wanted run. Considering the flogging it took, I'm impressed with how well it held together.

I had a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport with that 3.0 V6. It was a excellent vehicle. It never burned oil but had some tiny weeps on some block plugs that was easily taken care of by the dealer. I'll bet that rig is still going somewhere.

2004.0 CTD Cummins. The triple nickel. (555TQ)

2WD, 6-speed Manual. 8' bed. Runs around at 7,940-lbs.

Two sets of tires in a quarter million, one brake job, all else original.
50/50 town & country

19-mpg City, 24+ Hwy and 15-mpg pulling my 35' travel trailer.
(I drive for economy. Those are not highs. Details apply).

OCI is annual or 15k or when I remember. Doesn't much matter.
Dyson said ROTELLA, so it's been T6 plus BALDWIN filters.
Some FP60 and LC20 once in a while (have been using since it was MICROLUBE)

Best of all: looks like approximately $4k depreciation in the 12-years from what I paid for it versus book value today.

Literally the best vehicle I've ever owned. It's been quite nice to have gotten lucky on what is a potentially expensive vehicle to run.

Last edited:
Most have been pretty good, except the Beemer. The Germans do not understand electricity.
Best? Maybe 95 Accord LX, 01 Tundra.
But probably '93 Toyota 4WD PU with the 22RE. Has about 350K miles and going strong. Never missed a beat.
The '06 TSX has been a blast; have replaced alternator and water pump.

The Tesla Model 3 is thought to be a million mile car with it's 7 moving drive train parts. I guess I'll see.
I do love the GS. Great car.

Originally Posted by TheTanSedan
2004.0 CTD Cummins. The triple nickel. (555TQ)

The Cummins Triple Nickel is a V-555 V8 diesel engine.....It was a POS in my opinion. My Grandfather owned a trucking company & had a mid 70's Ford L8000 Toter with a VT-555, We didn't do much mobile home/construction office moving other than a few for Oil Rigs.
I put at least 3 sets of Rod & Main bearings in that thing....It alone made me realize that working on HD diesel engines wasn't for me.

The Small/Big Cam Cummins 855's were much more reliable, But didn't have the power of a 3408 Caterpillar which is what we ran it all our heavy haul trucks. OTR truckers like to brag about 600hp today......A few pump tweaks could yield that on a early 80's 3408 but would get @3-4 MPG doing it!

95 Integra GS-R. Never a serious mechanical issue. I did have an issue where a spot weld in the A-pipe broke and made this awful rattling sound at certain revs, but that was replaced under warranty and never came back. The headliner was also fixed because of a rattling sound under warranty. Other than that it was mechanically sound.

It might have been about 125k miles when the radiator tank cracked, and before then a coolant hose burst. I think I should have spotted the latter as it was probably bulging for a while. But those were fairly minor things and easy enough to fix cheaply.

While I still love (and drive) my '04 WRX, I've had the reverse idler gear break. I mean - a straight gear broke and the guy who rebuilt it looked at it like something like that should never happen no matter how many times I stalled it in reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back