Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic

Hi,

I am in the middle of an oil change and went with Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30.

My question has to do with the color of the oil going in. The new oil was positively black. Not brown, certainly not any shade of amber, but black.

Is that normal? Did I somehow get a bad batch?

Or did someone change their oil, put the old back in and "return' it? I'm afraid to drive it.

Originally Posted by Starman2112
Not normal for it to be black. Did it have a foil seal?

I agree. If it had a foil seal that will tell if it was opened prior to you getting it.

Usually it's a dark brown but translucent. Where'd you buy it from and like the previous poster asked if it had a foil seal. I've read of several people buying oil from Amazon only to have discovered when it arrived was filled with water or used oil.

I have used the M1 high mile oil for the past 5 oil changes and the oil is clear amber looking.

I strongly suspect you got used oil and suggest that you swap it out as soon as you can!
Scumbags are getting pretty clever about making a seal after putting their old oil in a jug and returning it.
No way fresh oil should be black!

I put the same oil in my car about 1600 miles ago. It was amber when it went in and its still amber today. Definitely not normal.

Originally Posted by shaolinpat
Hi,

Or did someone change their oil, put the old back in and "return' it? I'm afraid to drive it.

So, as others have indicated someone probably brought their oil back and got a refund;

It is a rookie BITOG'r mistake (as is not checking the oil filter box for the correct and undented filter)

You might try a quick blotter test. If you're unfamiliar, put a decent size drop of oil on a business or index card, and let the oil slowly spread out. After it has gone as far as it can go, if you see rings, you have an indication of solids, coolant or fuel in the oil. You an search here, Google or elsewhere to get some current info on accurate ring interpretation. This is a perfect scenario for a blotter test -- a quick answer, without the money or detail from a lab UOA. Wish you well.

Pull the plug and let some loose in a clear container and take a picture.

do you have your previous oil in a clean-ish oil pan. Might be worth straining that through a couple of t-shirts and putting it back in. Then return this oil if you can. If not you paid some life tuition.

Does M1 have a clear line on the side of the jug that you can compare?

Where did you buy it?

Well most people change out Syn oil well before it is depleted. I doubt it would hurt your vehicle.

Originally Posted by shaolinpat
The new oil was positively black. Not brown, certainly not any shade of amber, but black.
Is that normal?

NOT normal.

Someone swapped out your oil with their used stuff and returned the jug to the store

Original poster is a newbie.
If authentic,you posted in the right place, welcome.
Personally I would have that "stuff" out of the sump and into a container. Combine with your receipt and bring to the store whose name we are all waiting for.
Post results.

Last edited:
First off
welcome2.gif

Had the same happen to me; just ate the loss. Was a PP bottle (which at the time didn't have foil seal ). Switched to Castrol because of the seal and haven't looked back...

Back