when is an oil heater needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a home standby generator that uses standard auto 5 - 30 synthetic oil. It sits idle but could turn on for a power outage at any time. The factory says it is a good idea to install their $100 oil filter heater if our area gets below 32f. The installer says it is not needed in our area, lower Michigan. The winter averages in the 20s with lows in the teens and with a few weeks in the single digits, like this week. Is the $100 filter heater a good needed for this oil?

Air cooled engine.

Last edited:
A filter heater? I would think that a block heater might be a better idea. Maybe even a block heater with a circulation pump. If you can keep the engine block warm, that will lead to oil reaching operating temps faster.

Of course talking to people who have gotten block heaters, the biggest reason seems to be to have faster heat in the passenger compartment.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
A filter heater? I would think that a block heater might be a better idea. Maybe even a block heater with a circulation pump. If you can keep the engine block warm, that will lead to oil reaching operating temps faster.

Of course talking to people who have gotten block heaters, the biggest reason seems to be to have faster heat in the passenger compartment.

It's an air cooled standby generator that he's asking advice about.

Originally Posted by Danno
Originally Posted by y_p_w

It's an air cooled standby generator that he's asking advice about.

Sorry. I skimmed to the end. But even then I would have no idea that it wasn't liquid cooled.

Since this is the passenger car oil board, wouldn't this be a better discussion for the mower/small engine forum?

It is passenger car oil being used so I thought the temp tolerance would be the same no matter where it is used. Looking for expertise about the oil not the generator.

Basically can syn 5 30 benefit from a preheat?

I guess it would be better in the small engine forum. I did not look for that

Last edited:
How often do you have power outages and for how long? Without a crystal ball this is not entirely predictable but there may be trends and a typical service outage repair time associated with your area.

If power is not out very often the need for the heater is reduced, time (years) instead of cold start cycles will be what takes its toll on the generator. While it is a generator not a car, there is a similarity. You'd be best off with a lower viscosity oil in the winter than summer. If you're really *budget* minded and don't get enough hours on it to throw out the oil, you could even put the summer used oil back in the next summer, winter back in next winter. This assumes it is outdoors, not plumbed/ducted outside and located indoors since you mentioned the winter temperatures?

What is the value of this generator? $100 to reduce wear on an expensive one is a better investment than on a less expensive generator, plus constantly heating your oil just in case the generator is needed, is a constant power bill increase. Calculate the heater wattage vs your annual cost to run it multiplied by # of years (run hours) expected lifespan.

I'm mentioning all this because it is true that it isn't absolutely necessary with 5W-30 oil in your climate. I would lean towards no, you will be financially better off without it, but if there is some circumstance were a frail person could have a severe medical hardship were the power to go out for too long (even if just powering a modest indoor/room heater in winter), it may be worth the money to get the oil heater just in case.

Last edited:
Power goes out about 2 - 3 times a year but it is the "exercise" time that will wear. It starts once a week for 5 min to keep the seals from drying out. I wouldn't put used oil back in but doesn't 5 30 synthetic cover all the seasons? It costs about $5000 so I do want to take care of it but $100 for a heated sleeve seemed like a cash grab if it won't help in this area. The sell it everywhere so Alaska at -20 for 6 months would need it but does lower Michigan. Their standard of anything below 32f also seemed excessive for more high margin sales of the sleeve.

I think the other concern is that being air cooled the oil will never come up to temp even on long runs without it.

It is a 40W sleeve only powered below 32f

Last edited:
I can't imagine with or without the heater there will be any tangible difference in longevity. I've seen small engines so abused it boggles the mind run just fine. I have a Honda push mower that I bought in 2002 that was used for one year, bought a ride on and buried it in the basement for next 8 years (with original gas and oil), retrieved it to cut 5 square yards of grass between elevated planters (average run time 36 seconds once per week during the summer) for the past 8 years but then I needed it to cut 1 acre for 4 weeks this summer. I still haven't changed the original oil or used any fuel systems cleaner and the thing starts up first or second pull every time. I'm not advocating abusing your small engines just pointing out most are pretty robust (minus varnish formation from EtOH-containing gas).

Last edited:
I would think no need with 5Wx30
Maybe they speced sae30 at some point and they have leftover heaters.

Originally Posted by BrianApp
I have a home standby generator that uses standard auto 5 - 30 synthetic oil. It sits idle but could turn on for a power outage at any time. The factory says it is a good idea to install their $100 oil filter heater if our area gets below 32f. The installer says it is not needed in our area, lower Michigan. The winter averages in the 20s with lows in the teens and with a few weeks in the single digits, like this week. Is the $100 filter heater a good needed for this oil?

Air cooled engine.

I'd follow the installers advice as they are on the front-lines everyday and I think the factory recommendation is based more on profits for them. JMO.
I have no problem starting my generator that sits in the shed with 5w30 in it, in February and it can be quite frigid here at that time.

Last edited:
If you're really worried, especially about the exercise starts, get a magnetic heater and use it before you get it going. It'll be probably less than 1/4 the cost. Aside from that, a 5w-30 will serve you fine in your climate through just about every condition you'll come across.

I have a 20KW Generac air cooled whole house generator here in FL and had a similar system for our house in VA.

* My current generator's owner's manual recommends 5W-30 for temperatures 10 degrees F and below, 10W-30 for temperatures between 10-40 degrees F, and 30W between freezing and above. Bottom line is that I think you will not need a heater if you use a full synthetic 5W-30 oil.

* I used Amsoil 10W-30 Small Engine Oil in VA and do so as well here in FL. No oil consumption and no engine issues for 5 years in VA and 10 hear in FL I actually think this would also work for you as well.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...4-stroke-10w-30-sae-30-small-engine-oil/

* I think your exercise time is way to short. I have mine set for 12 minutes.

Last edited:
A small heater pad on the sump would work fine. Something like the smaller one of these that is made for 3qt sumps. Could be plugged into a thermostatic controller so that it would only warm when temp gets down to a set level. There are simple preset blocks or you can get user set outlet controllers. Bunches of them on Amazon.

https://www.wolverineheater.com/collections/cars-light-trucks

I use both block heater and oil sump heater on my commercial stuff. Even on my 1.8L compact tractor. Got sold on oil pan warmers, battery warmers, along with block heaters when I lived in Alaska.

When I had ATV's in Illinois we would ride them in the Winter on the snowmobile trails along the rural roads. I kept them in an unheated shed in the backyard. But it had 110V lighting and outlets. They were air cooled 250 CC Honda's, and were hard to start if it got below freezing. I found an inexpensive solution that worked perfectly. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a 1,500 watt blow dryer, and mounted it on a wooden stand I made out of a length of 2 X 4. I made it high enough so when I mounted the hair dryer on it with cable ties, it was right at the same height as the cylinder head.

I put the nozzle of the dryer near the cylinder, and turned it on the highest setting for about 5 minutes. It warmed up the top half of the engine beautifully, and it would start right up. Total cost, under $20 bucks.

5w30 is good well below 32 degrees F. I wouldn't worry about it. -29F this morning and vehicles with 5w30 and 10W30 started right up. I certainly wouldn't worry about a generator. It will run forever on whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back