Wix 51269 PS filter install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to upgrade from the Magnefine to something more robust, and less likely to leak so I bought a 3/4-16 filter head and a Wix 51269 Hydraulic filter.
I had trouble at first locating a spot to put it. The place I had in mind was too cramped to work. I finally decided to have it on the front of the engine, between it and the radiator and close to the PS reservoir.
The reservoir itself is mounted to the engine with a bracket connecting to 3 bolts. I removed it and cut a piece of scrap steel off my 2004 Crown Vic to use as a mount.
After getting it tacked up and checking the fit, I welded it up.

It went together pretty easily after that. Went and bought the fitting and the hose, came back and mounted it up.

The bracket is very stiff. I tightened the filter probably more than I should have and was getting very little movement.

Filled it, started the engine, and the pump immediately sucked the reservoir dry filling the filter. Noted that prefilling this filter is necessary for future changes.
Topped it up and the put 15 inHg vacuum on the reservoir, which pulled the air out and shut it up.

Overall, I like the setup.
Next project is a Trans filter. Arguably that should've been first, but that is complicated by a few factors and so this was easy and now its done.

Why a filter on PS? Bored? Otherwise cool set up
thumbsup2.gif
, I want to do the same for the hybrid's ATF.If you are ultra paranoid, the Harley 63731-99A is said to be a 5 micron filter, if your gasket size is the same, but I just use a 51515.

This is the overengineering I like!

Plan on cutting open the filter after you change it out next time? Please post pics.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Why a filter on PS? Bored? Otherwise cool set up
thumbsup2.gif
, I want to do the same for the hybrid's ATF.If you are ultra paranoid, the Harley 63731-99A is said to be a 5 micron filter, if your gasket size is the same, but I just use a 51515.

I just like tinkering. And yeah, I think it looks pretty cool too.
This filter is a 5 micron nominal as well. The Harley filter doesn't say what percentage the 5 micron is at, but this one is Beta 2/20=5/17
So nominal is 50% at 5 micron and 95% at 17 micron.
And not $12.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
This is the overengineering I like!

Plan on cutting open the filter after you change it out next time? Please post pics.

Yes, though it won't be for awhile.

My transmission was full of dirt and I tried several flushes and the particle count was still very dirty. I put this 1269 filter on the cooler line and within 100 miles it was shifting better and after 300 miles the problems just went away. I replaced the filter after 3-4K and not had any more problems. About your P/S, I bought a Honda Trans filter to install in the steering system to collect any debris, it was around 8 bucks for a china clone and cost effective over the spin on type in your pictures.. BTW someone also referred me to a 1249 which is a longer filter with a 6/19 beta ratio.

Originally Posted by Dufus2
My transmission was full of dirt and I tried several flushes and the particle count was still very dirty. I put this 1269 filter on the cooler line and within 100 miles it was shifting better and after 300 miles the problems just went away. I replaced the filter after 3-4K and not had any more problems. About your P/S, I bought a Honda Trans filter to install in the steering system to collect any debris, it was around 8 bucks for a china clone and cost effective over the spin on type in your pictures.. BTW someone also referred me to a 1249 which is a longer filter with a 6/19 beta ratio.

Oh, this wasnt done for cost effectiveness. It was done because I wanted to be overkill about it. Something that makes people ask, "Why?"

Originally Posted by Colt45ws
Originally Posted by Dufus2

Oh, this wasnt done for cost effectiveness. It was done because I wanted to be overkill about it. Something that makes people ask, "Why?"

I understand overkill !!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back