New US Emissions ...rollbacks might not matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
And burn obscene amounts of coal?

It works for Saskatchewan. Then again, we don't get called a cultured and well developed society of intellectuals. We get called the Mississippi of the north.
wink.gif

I recently drove from Austin to Berkeley and back over 2 different routes in my 2015 S600 and got 24+ MPG.

If a 6 litre, 540 HP motor can take a 5000 pound car and get 24+ MPG st 70-75 MPH, obese Americans have little to worry about.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Most people will drive whatever the manufacturers tell them too like they always have.
Marketing works well !

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
They need to look at other countries pollution levels, not ours....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/201...s/#49cd07cb3535

No matter how much AlGore wants you to drive a .8l ethanol powered death trap, the American people want something different. The rhetoric is fine and dandy until THEY need to put THEIR family in the car and go camping.....
The TV didn't tell me to think about that. I usually do what the TV tells me do.

Originally Posted By: Onetor
I think we should follow Germany. A cultured and well developed society of intellectuals. A few years older than the States. Especially their engineering!
O.K. If you say so.

I think we should follow Germany. A cultured and well developed society of intellectuals. A few years older than the States. Especially their engineering

Yet, they filled a dirigible with hydrogen.....

Originally Posted by tomcat27
90% of consumer demand does not support vehicles that get 47mpg. Even in my own family I cannot garner support to drive anything efficient. Trucks, suv's, cuv's are today's vehicles, as evidenced by consumer demand.

So? What's wrong with driving what works for you?

I also power my SUV with ethanol free gas. Am I an evil capitalist?

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Brigadier
They need to look at other countries pollution levels, not ours....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapie...-reducing-carbon-emissions/#49cd07cb3535

No matter how much AlGore wants you to drive a .8l ethanol powered death trap, the American people want something different. The rhetoric is fine and dandy until THEY need to put THEIR family in the car and go camping.....

The TV didn't tell me to think about that. I usually do what the TV tells me do.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Onetor
I think we should follow Germany. A cultured and well developed society of intellectuals. A few years older than the States. Especially their engineering!
O.K. If you say so.

CT8 you are just cracking me up right on.

As I have said before..higher efficiency, small vehicles means the highways will be clogged. Give me gas guzzlers. Either way all the gasoline will be used. I am retired and really don't care but the planet won't be changed much in any case.

Originally Posted by Al
As I have said before..higher efficiency, small vehicles means the highways will be clogged. Give me gas guzzlers. Either way all the gasoline will be used. I am retired and really don't care but the planet won't be changed much in any case.

They're not clogged now?

The big reason for taller vehicles selling better is easier ingress/egress. My 78 year old father has a hard time getting out of my Focus. He doesn't bend or twist as well as he used to. Minivan or truck, super easy. We are both 6 foot, 250 lbs.

As the people with the money to buy new vehicles age, they buy what is comfortable for them. After the government essentially legislated full size cars out of existence, people bought SUVs and minivans, higher roofed station wagons.

I know two in the Houston area that just jumped on year end deals for 4WD Tahoes and Yukons ... $2/gallon or $4/gallon will not matter to them - some days (like heavy rains, shopping after work etc) they don't drive their sports cars/sedans ...
Upper management have both Rovers and AMG's and do the same thing ...
Another guy I work with just traded in a Suburban with 300k and got a nice Lexus sedan ... kids were grown and did not need the SUV anymore ...
Free market still ...

And I agree with getting in/out of taller vehicles and the visibility - all the things said here before ... there are mid sized CUV's getting some good MPG if that is your main thing ...

The Camrys get 37+ MPG. Speedo is 75-80, Rpm is 2200, Eco light is on. I love all that stuff. Gotta be the most boring car I ever drove though. Hooning the company Transit Connect was more fun.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
*Not a political post. Strictly looking at this from a consumer demand point of view.

https://carbuzz.com/news/new-us-emi...-automakers-from-increasing-fuel-economy

Originally Posted by Carbuzz
..."Manufacturers aren't saying 'We're going to stop all our r&d.' That's a fallacy," said Rebecca Lindland, the executive analyst at Kelley Blue Book. "Twenty percent of Generation Z says it is interested in an environmentally friendly vehicle. Demand is coming, so that's why manufacturers will continue to develop these types of vehicles."

How is this so when trucks and SUVs lead in sales??

Cheap fuel plus cheap credit plus cheap prices at real retail equal lots of demand.
Take any one out of the equation and things change for all buyers, not just the younger ones.
People of every age are far more wallet conscious than environmentally conscious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back