PUP 5w-20; Toyota 4.0- 190k vehicle mi, 10k OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time running an OCI on this, also first time extending the OCI. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (high calcium from the olden days) with a Denso v8 filter.
About 4,000 miles was long road trips, but 6,000 probably came from short around-town trips, likely leading to the less than exceptional UOA. VOA Visc on PUP 5w20 is 8.8 so it was starting to thicken up a bit. Iron is high, but the rest look pretty good. Plan is to go 5,000 from here on out with 5w30 in fall, summer, spring, and 0w20 in the winter for the short trips. Air filter was changed when this sample was taken.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies, it's a 2008, the 1GR-FE is the 4.0 V6 with single VVTI. Typical use is to/from work which is 3 miles plus errands- then weekend trips of 100-300 miles, with the occasional road trip into very dusty areas. I'm not surprised the silicon is a little high given the gravel driving I do and how dusty it was during fire season this year. This oil was in service from February 2018 to December 2018, and high temps in summer are 90-100 for at least a month, plus the cold weather temps of around 0 in winter. Also of note is the Denso oil filter- I decided to use what toyota engineers used, they are likely lower efficiency, but allow high flow, which may also lead to the higher Fe number. I'd be interested in doing a 5k OCI with an Ultra and seeing if the numbers are lower given better filtration.

Last edited:
That seems like a lot of iron for 10k...perhaps your engine isn't liking the PUP? I only had 7ppm at 7000 miles on Amsoil OE 5w-20... UOA thread is on the second page.

Or perhaps it was the short trips? Hard to tell.

Originally Posted by JLTD
That seems like a lot of iron for 10k...perhaps your engine isn't liking the PUP? I only had 7ppm at 7000 miles on Amsoil OE 5w-20... UOA thread is on the second page.

Valid question. Previously, the engine had run only M1 5w30 for about 100,000 so perhaps the detergent change stirred some things up.

Originally Posted by T4RF
... I'd be interested in doing a 5k OCI with an Ultra and seeing if the numbers are lower given better filtration.

If you run an Ultra for 5K OCIs then I suggest you leave the filter in for 2 OCIs.

It's not the PUP it's the dirt which is getting past the air filter.

OP if your expecting simular conditions a 30 grade will help.

Originally Posted by dblshock
well you saved cash on fuel, maybe a buck, got a pocket full of iron as expected.

Fake News. According to BITOG the acceptable limit for iron is 150 PPM.

Last edited:
Considering that literally over 6,000 miles of this OCI racked up in 2-3 mile increments, I'm pretty happy with the performance of the engine and the oil. I deliberately extended the OCI beyond the spec, went lower visc oil than originally called for, and used an oil filter known to be less efficient, and still came out with a pretty good UOA.

Originally Posted by T4RF
went lower visc oil than originally called for

That's probably the wear metals are so high in this uoa.

Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by dblshock
well you saved cash on fuel, maybe a buck, got a pocket full of iron as expected.

Fake News. According to BITOG the acceptable limit for iron is 150 PPM.

Not necessarily...the iron number is engine and condition dependent.

Originally Posted by dave1251

It's not the PUP it's the dirt which is getting past the air filter.

OP if your expecting simular conditions a 30 grade will help.

15ppm?

Iron wear in gasoline engines without diesel soot should be more or less viscosity-independent. It's more affected by the additives and base-oil type.

Perhaps, GDI engines require a thicker base oil (not thicker overall oil) such as a synthetic 5W-20 instead of a 0W-20 if GDI particulates are causing valvetrain and timing-chain wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back