Looking at 2011 Ford Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be replacing my daily driver in the next year or so, and an '11 Mustang is on the short list. I drove a 2010 convertable as a rental some years back and was quite impressed. That one had the 4.0L SOHC engine, but even still I liked just about everything about the car. I thought the 4.0L had good power (especially low end torque), looking forward to test driving the 3.7 & 5.0L for comparison. Been waiting for prices to drop to a level that's reasonably affordable, and they're finally getting close. Few questions for those that know or have experience with these cars.

The engine choices 3.7L and 5.0 were new for 2011 if I'm not mistaken. Any teething problems or common issues that plague these early engines? Any problems with the 6 speed manual?

What is the fuel economy delta between 5.0L and 3.7L? The gearhead in me prefers the 5.0L, but even though it's high on the want list, winds up pretty low on the need list. The price difference between GT and anything with the six is pretty enormous I've noticed.

I often see GT models with reference to a Premium package. What is this package, and do you think it's essential? If anyone has a run down of standard features versus optional, that'd be helpful-- did some internet searching and still not clear what is included on a "base" versus the higher trims.

Does this model year have LED taillamps, and do the turn signals light sequentially? Just curious on this one, I don't really care either way. Is there a certain package / option that is required for the "mood lightning" in the interior? The rental I drove had this, and the lighting was really nice on it.

For those that have owned this car (or similar year/generation) what is your overall take and would you buy it again? I'm looking at the 80k-100k mile range (or less) and usually keep vehicles to 200k or so. Is this car a good candidate for high mileage ownership? Any other tidbits or info you guys could offer are certainly welcome.

Wikipedia is your friend:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_(fifth_generation)#2011_and_2012_Mustang

Looks like 2010 brought the LED sequential tails, and 2011 brought the 3.7 to replace the 4.0.

I urge you to go for the 2011 with the 3.7, if you can only afford a V6. 2011 was also the first year for the 5.0. In my area, it looks like you can get a decent deal on a '11 or '12 GT for ~$15k. Seems pretty reasonable, all things considered.

I bought a 2012 GT premium back in 2011. Mine was a 6 speed automatic and I had no issues over the 60k I put on it until late 2014. Premium includes the faux leather seats but I dont remember what else. Probably a stereo upgrade but none were great. I replaced the factory speakers with some Pioneer ones.

A lot of people on the different mustang message boards complained about the manual transmissions from those early years having issues. I think 2011 was the first year for the MT82. It seems there were some small revisions over the first few that must have improved things so be cautious of that.

I think I would go for the 5.0 engine. I have the 5.0 in my truck and really like it. I am sure the smaller engine will have plenty of power as well. Almost any car made in the last 15 years has plenty of power to drive safely anywhere you want to go. I like the Mustangs and think Ford did an excellent job with the retro look. Plenty of parts out there too since they had high production numbers in that era.

That six speed manual in those model years was a Getrag unit but it was made in China. If you search the Mustang forums back when those were new there were TONS of complaints about transmission issues, many of which Ford dealers could never fix. It got so bad that the NHTSA opened an investigation. Over the years they seem to have revised the transmission, but I would be wary of one of the early transmissions. If it seems OK at 100,000 miles it may have been properly repaired or may have been one that escaped the issues.

https://jalopnik.com/faulty-chinese-built-transmissions-plague-new-ford-must-5792482
https://www.americanmuscle.com/s550-mustang-mt-82-transmission-explained.html

Drive the 3.7 and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the power, especially if you were impressed by the earlier 4.0.

"Could've had a V8". You'll have plenty of people asking why you didn't get a 5.0 blah blah blah. And if you get a V6, you'll always be telling yourself dumb things like "It gets better gas mileage than a 5.0" "It's cheaper to insure" "The V6 has plenty of power". Truck drivers will see a Mustang, notice it's not a 5.0 and look at you passing by thinking you might be a chick. I wouldn't even consider buying a Mustang with a V6.

I sure enjoy my '11 5.0 Brembo, 401a Premium, MT82 ... She's sitting out the winter downstairs right now. A garage queen for sure. Had her since 11/12. I've left her pretty much stock with a few upgrades. I never considered a V6 or an automatic....3 pedals or no pedals....

I have a 2012 with the 3.7 liter automatic premium package. i have added throttle body ,custom tune, magna flow exhaust and K&N intake. The car has surprising power for a v6 these mods helped to wake the car up , stock the car felt really flat on take off.
I have over 90000 kilometres on it and has been dead reliable.
Would i buy another one?? in a heart beat, saying that though my next mustang will be a 5.0.

If you have any question feel free to p.m me.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
"Could've had a V8". You'll have plenty of people asking why you didn't get a 5.0 blah blah blah. And if you get a V6, you'll always be telling yourself dumb things like "It gets better gas mileage than a 5.0" "It's cheaper to insure" "The V6 has plenty of power". Truck drivers will see a Mustang, notice it's not a 5.0 and look at you passing by thinking you might be a chick. I wouldn't even consider buying a Mustang with a V6.

On the other side of the coin, as the owner of a V6 mustang, I adopt the "HoneyBadger " stance.
I'm the only one that has to be pleased. Different strokes, and all that.
IMO, a 4.0 liter is more than sufficient for a car titled (at least mine is) as a "Subcompact" car.
However, if I were buying a 2019, it would be a 5.0.
Because, A 4 cylinder in a Mustang is just. plain. wrong.

Stock 5.0 mustangs get stellar mileage on the highway for the power they put out. Easily mid 20s and if you try, close to 30. Don't get the v6 for gas mileage, it's barely any better than the v8.

The 1st and 2nd gen 5.0 v8s are stout. Remember it's also in the f150 so, Ford made sure to do it right.

The only genuine problem that isn't just internet hoopla is the first few years of the mt82 6 speed manual were hit and miss assembled poorly in the Chinese factory. I would avoid those years.

kind of a funny little story about could"ve had a v8.. Last summer late one night on a major ontario highway i came up on a Audi coupe moving at a good clip, anyways i passed him we were doing around 130 kilometres per hour! so i guess he decides to get a closer look he rode my a$$ for a few minutes then pulled out and passed, fine by me so fair play i rode up close on him , he was just waiting for me to pull out to pass him, so figuring when i pulled out he would hammer down on me he does , so knowing this i punch it hard and get by him but by now we are really moving so i back off and so does he he slides in right behind me again rides in close for a few miles and tries to go at it again. So as soon as i see him pull out to pass i get on it hard he gets up beside me but can,t get by me at this point its way above legal speeds and we both drop down to reasonable speeds and he stays back behind me until i turn off the highway , sure enough he follows me off and flashes the lights so we pull in to the service centre together, i start to think maybe some road rage about to happen but nope guy gets out of his car smiling so i think okay whats up !! i get out he goes up one side of my car and down the other then asks me if did a delete on the 5.0 emblems i said no why, he says no way a v6 pulls that hard at speed. So i pop the hood and show him the 3.7 needless to say he was impressed with the performance of the car and what a few mods could do to the 3.7.

Originally Posted by hemitom

kind of a funny little story about could"ve had a v8.. Last summer late one night on a major ontario highway i came up on a Audi coupe moving at a good clip, anyways i passed him we were doing around 130 kilometres per hour! so i guess he decides to get a closer look he rode my a$$ for a few minutes then pulled out and passed, fine by me so fair play i rode up close on him , he was just waiting for me to pull out to pass him, so figuring when i pulled out he would hammer down on me he does , so knowing this i punch it hard and get by him but by now we are really moving so i back off and so does he he slides in right behind me again rides in close for a few miles and tries to go at it again. So as soon as i see him pull out to pass i get on it hard he gets up beside me but can,t get by me at this point its way above legal speeds and we both drop down to reasonable speeds and he stays back behind me until i turn off the highway , sure enough he follows me off and flashes the lights so we pull in to the service centre together, i start to think maybe some road rage about to happen but nope guy gets out of his car smiling so i think okay whats up !! i get out he goes up one side of my car and down the other then asks me if did a delete on the 5.0 emblems i said no why, he says no way a v6 pulls that hard at speed. So i pop the hood and show him the 3.7 needless to say he was impressed with the performance of the car and what a few mods could do to the 3.7.

I played around with a V6 Mustang recently with the Jeep and was surprised at how well it worked. Guy obviously had aftermarket exhaust, not sure what else was done, seemed keen on doing a couple rolling pulls, which we did, and then window-downed laughing and tells me to stop picking on his V6
lol.gif

FWIW I have 3 V-8 Mustang Premium GTs. A 2000, 2010 and 2018. All are automatics just because I shift gears all day as a truck driver and don't want to on my time. That being said, I don't see anything wrong with having a V-6 or four cyl. in a Mustang. The difference in fuel mileage isn't that much, though. I get 17 to 23 with the 2000, 19-26 with the 2010 and 20-30 with the 2018. The pedal on the right really affects the mileage on the 2018, though. My wife uses it as her daily driver and she gets 24 and some change mpg, which IMO is impressive.

Don't think that $15k is all that great considering a no option version 7 years ago could be had for $22k.

The 3.7 puts out 302 hp. To put that in perspective, Steve McQueen's ‘Stang in ‘Bullit' put out 329hp and is marginally faster in the quarter mile. The 3.7L also has the quality of being an exceptionally durable and reliable engine.

That said, there is little mpg advantage compared to the 5.0. Any 5.0 you find is likely to be with a higher trim level. Just a question of what's available to you at the moment and whether you are willing to pay the premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back