Your Most RELIABLE, TROUBLE-FREE Vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Thus far, our 2002 Ford Expedition. Thing was a tank.

This Expedition?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Never had as much as an oxygen sensor die on the Expedition. What was replaced were suspension bits, brakes, alternator, batteries, axle seal, rad and several coils as well as the launched spark plug for #4. The ABS controller died shortly before we decided to sell it.

Yup, it was awesome. Those things didn't fail all at once, and it had over 300,000Km when the rocker rot and the fact it needed front-end work again made me decide to sell it. It got us through multiple blizzards, ice storms, we drove it hard, towed hard with it and it never once left us stranded, even when it launched #4 plug
lol.gif
Which BTW, was the reason for one of the coil replacements, as that coil went flying when the plug blew out.

Guy that bought it from us bondo'd the rockers, did the front-end work and I still see it around regularly. It's gotta have close to 400K on it now.

I assume he never fixed the ABS controller. I just pulled the fuse for it and drove it without ABS for the last 6 months we had it, worked fine.

My oldest vehicle is my most reliable. '97 Toyota 4Runner. The only actual repair it's had other than some burned out bulbs, and preventive maintenance, was a $20.00 hydraulic clutch hose, and about a half-hour of my time. It only gets driven about 1.5 k miles a year now, driving in snow, and an occasional 4wd trip.

Last edited:
2001 Ram 2500 4X4. 14 years of flawless service. At the time I bought it new, the reviews all said it was the most unreliable truck you could buy. Wish I had it back.

My wife's 04 Rav4. Just turned 375,000 miles.

Just replaced the blower motor in my 15 Camry. It's not as trouble free as the Rav4.

2007 Trailblazer....307,000 miles replaced Tie Rods, Front Wheel Bearings and a Battery. Still needs an Air Pump, Speed Sensor, Rear Speakers and a T-stat but overall it's been a good vehicle.

I've had vehicles for less than 100K that never needed anything aside from oil/brakes/tires, which is good. As far as high mileage vehicles, my '00 Tundra V8 4x4 I bought new and sold with 220K miles on it and still drove like new and looked good, the interior was perfect, the exterior was clean but showed the miles. The only replacement parts during its life were a broken spider gear in the rear end after some serious rock crawling and a fan clutch. I towed a 7K dual axle enclosed trailer all over the US with it. It wasn't the best truck for towing, and with the trailer I was lucky to get 8mpg, but it never missed a beat. I sold it for $12K with that many miles on it and still get carfax reminders telling me to renew my registration every year on the birthday of whoever owns it now.

Cars we've driven past 200K with only normal maintenance and wear part replacements:

'78 Mercedes 240D

'86 Civic Wagon

'97 Accord coupe

Cars we've driven past 170K with only normal maintenance and wear part replacements:

'95 BMW 318iC

'97 Aerostar

'99 Accord sedan

100K cars that have needed same:

'81 VW Vanagon

'88 Mercedes 230E

'09 Subaru Forester

'12 Accord sedan

Modern cars will typically run for many years and miles while needing little.

2004 Grand Caravan with the 3.3L v6, currently at 185k miles. Bought new in 2004. It has survived my parents abuse of them using it like a pick up truck, 3 teenage drivers, and now it sits around most of the time unless my brother doesn't feel like driving his Charger in the snow. It's only ever had basic maintenance (2 tune ups in its entire life).

2007 Dodge Caliber with 155k miles is in 2nd place. My parents bought new. Only ever needed basic maintenance, except the rusty cross member warranty extension my dad ignored a few months ago. Missed that one by about a month.

My 2012 Caliber, 95k miles, has been rock solid so far. Bought it used with 75k on it almost 4 years ago.

1998 BMW M3, 199k and just tires, front brakes, and fluid and filter changes changes. Good car, and fun.
1996 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6, 288k. Same as above. Oh, and both had new plugs too. 10k oci for both. Still driving them.

My mom's old 2002 camry 4 cyl.

Did the clutch, struts, and front brakes when I got it at 197k.

Had one coil pack die completely but I had another in the trunk and it dutifully ran on three cylinders to a safe parking spot unlike my evil prius. A couple others died as well but just by throwing codes.

Rust made me get it a new gas tank, filler neck, and tank straps, but that's a durability thing, not reliability. I think I did the little brake lines on the rear axle, too.

Barely burned any oil, didn't drip any fluids.

Drove it to NC for vacation then sold it when I got back home. 1700 miles in a week.

Bought my first '88 528e in 7/96 with 150 K miles . I was able to maintain it myself in my driveway. I put an additional 200K miles on it over 12 yrs. Mostly a stall and crawl commute into Boston. Some 2K mile road trips. Never stranded me .Not once. I was sold. I had 4 more over 22 yrs. Only rust has forced me to to move into Camrys.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Cars we've driven past 200K with only normal maintenance and wear part replacements:

'78 Mercedes 240D

'86 Civic Wagon

'97 Accord coupe

Cars we've driven past 170K with only normal maintenance and wear part replacements:

'95 BMW 318iC

'97 Aerostar

'99 Accord sedan

100K cars that have needed same:

'81 VW Vanagon

'88 Mercedes 230E

'09 Subaru Forester

'12 Accord sedan

Modern cars will typically run for many years and miles while needing little.

Different folks have different ideas of what a wear part is. For some it's stuff like struts or a muffler. For me, it''s just brakes and tires.

My Camry is a tank. The only real issues it's had since I bought it when it had 194k miles in 8/2015 has been a cracked fuel pump housing causing a leak, and the original rubber intake hose dry rotting and breaking from years of heat. Oh, and a cam plug oil seal. All cheap repairs.

My Sonata has 90k miles and I just had my first repair done. The outer driver's side CV boot had a tiny tiny tear and was slinging some grease. That too was a cheap repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back