Baby it’s cold outside!

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK, I was skiing on Wednesday at 0, and some parts of mountin were below that for sure (0 was at parking lot around 10,500ft, lift comes to 12,476ft). It was all good, few runs, beer, few runs, beer.
Toyota takes forever to warm up. VW Tiguan, it does not matter whether it is 95 outside or -40, it warms up within few minutes. Installed block heater in Toyota, as I do not like to idle at all.
Miss my BMW X5 as it had PTC heater.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
OP, be careful with your subject line, "Baby It's Cold Outside". This past Christmas that song was banned by some radio stations in California. :)

Scott

PS Supposed to be in the low '70s this weekend in my area.

28.gif

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Block heater for the win. Unplug, start and go right away.

I have one...but never use it. That is exactly what I do anyways...even not using the block heater.

Supposed to be in the -20's in the next several days. Get in, start her up, put on seatbelt, drive away...and I run 0W-40 in everything I own. The only time anything gets "warm up" time is when I have to clear the windows from snow/ice.

Reminds me of my year in Alaska. -70 dead calm in the winter of 1975/1976. My truck had 2 - 750W engine heaters, an 800W interior warmer, and a 100W battery blanket for plug ins. Never again. Thank God for sunny FL

I woke up to -3 Monday...Vic started with no drama, though cranking was slow enough I plan to get a new battery. Work truck started right up like it was summer...no block heater, 15W-40 oil, 126K on the 6.7 Cummins engine. Liz's diesel Blazer gets the block heater at home-it comes on 3 hours before she leaves for work. At work, it was 12 degrees...she cycled the glow plugs twice (it has a cheap aftermarket controller that short-cycles them) and it fired right up. Engine is a turbocharged mechanical Optimiser 6500, oil is 5W-40. (I think Motorcraft.)

Coldest we really see here in Atlanta is mid teens - going to be down to ~16F (-8C) in next few days. Most I do is wait for the secondary air pump to kick off which typically coincides with the idle dropping down to a little above normal idle, its about 1.5 minutes from start to drive off. I typically pop the auto into neutral as I heard through the MB grapevine (don't know it is true or not) is that the trans circulates more fluid or actually circulates fluid in neutral vs leaving it in park.

Coldest my car has seen during my ownership was Minnesota during Xmas, morning we left it was ~5F (-15C). Started with zero issue, as a matter a fact it started just like it does when its 80F out. Idled for ~5 mins before we hit the road.

Will say the nearing zero temps seems to be where everything just thickens up (diff fluid, trans fluid, wheel bearing grease, etc.) the first mile or so driving after that 5 minute idle felt like we were dragging an anchor which made it just that much easier to be gentle until things starting warming up.

^^^^^

I think you are right.. getting close to 0°F and fluids start to thicken up at that point.

When I lived in almost Canada I never let my car idle for more than a couple minutes and only when it was well below zero. Just drive easy. Warms way faster under load. My dad is still a serial 15-30 minute warmer upper. Auto start shuts off after 15 but he restarts it for another 15 LOL. And use synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back