Unusual Jury summons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Huie83
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Donald
Be thankful its not federal jury duty. And even worse is federal grand jury duty.

Even County grand jury is a headache. But it was a good experience learning and observing the justice system.

Ugh... I just got my Federal jury duty summons yesterday. 10 weeks of on call... gross.

Here's a question. I'm a single dad who has my son 50-75% of the time. if I actually got called in that would severely impact not only my work schedule and ability to earn money but my ability to pay for child care as well as my ex's schedule etc. She can't get from her work to his daycare in time to pick him up before they close, so I do even on her days to have him. If I got selected we'd be up a creek with no one to pick him up. Should I bother trying to write an exemption letter or has anyone had experiences with exemptions when it involves a child?

In your case, I would write a request for exemption. Clearly explain the complicating situation and see what happens. I know our county's policy is pretty liberal, but the only federal experiences we had in the family was my sister, and she complied with the summons.

Be thankful its not federal jury duty. And even worse is federal grand jury duty.

Even County grand jury is a headache. But it was a good experience learning and observing the justice system.

Ugh... I just got my Federal jury duty summons yesterday. 10 weeks of on call... gross.

Here's a question. I'm a single dad who has my son 50-75% of the time. if I actually got called in that would severely impact not only my work schedule and ability to earn money but my ability to pay for child care as well as my ex's schedule etc. She can't get from her work to his daycare in time to pick him up before they close, so I do even on her days to have him. If I got selected we'd be up a creek with no one to pick him up. Should I bother trying to write an exemption letter or has anyone had experiences with exemptions when it involves a child?

Explain this to the clerk. When I went a 19 year old was able to be excused because her being a Pizza Hut manager would impact her restaurant to the point it would be a determent. No kidding a Pizza Hut manager was too important to the community.

Probably more likely: it would impact her, in the sense that she could lose her franchise. No different than an OTR trucker or commissioned salesman getting excused for hardship.

If you can't get off the hook of going it for selection, then go in and say all kinds of loony things that would make you look biased and want to convict the person automatically without even knowing what it was about. They won't touch you with a 10 ft pole.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
If you can't get off the hook of going it for selection, then go in and say all kinds of loony things that would make you look biased and want to convict the person automatically without even knowing what it was about. They won't touch you with a 10 ft pole.

Very true. Especially in today's off the chart, politically correct world. You don't even have to go that far. Just wear a MAGA hat when you show up, and they'll most likely run you out the door at gunpoint.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
I was never chosen for Jury Duty, although I was required to report (twice).
I don't mind fulfilling my civic duty, but when they threaten you with ARREST (on such short notice).

That is when I gave up on any and all of it. Several years back when I was working nights I received a summons for jury duty. (In the mail). I called the number and explained to the person on the other end I worked nights, and could not make it. He immediately got belligerent with me, and threatened me with arrest if I did not comply. I hung up on him, and tossed the notice, along with every one I received after it. I don't mind doing my civic duty either. But I'm not going to put up with some arrogant individual who refuses to even discuss the matter in a civil tone, and right away start making threats.

That was at least 10 years, and close to a half a dozen notices ago. If I received one today, I would have no problem going in whenever they needed me, since I've been retired for over 4 years. But it appears they've given up on me. I have talked to several other retired people, and they all said the same thing. When they were working they received notices left and right. As soon as they retired the notices all stopped. I guess they only want people who cannot attend without enduring some type of expense or hardship. That way they can create issues easier.

I got a notice to show up for Federal Grand Jury... judge gave everyone who wanted an opportunity to say why they should be dismissed. Apparently me working 4pm-4am 5 days a week and being the sole income for a family of 4 is not considered grounds for a dismissal. Thankfully I didn't get picked... only took 5 hours to find that out. Next time I'll wear a MAGA hat and my Twins of Evil tour shirt lol

I'd write the letter like others have said. If you still have to go in for selection, reiterate all that to the judge when they ask if anyone has a good reason to be dismissed. Hopefully your judge is a bit easier on you, ours made it very clear he rarely granted dismissals. He only dismissed about 5 people out of our group of roughly 75... One was a breast feeding mother, the others had some pretty significant medical issues.

Last edited:
BEWARE there is a scam where the thugs threaten arrest over missed jury duty appearances. They will demand payment in i-tunes cards, or other gift cards. They will even do some google research to learn names of the magistrates in your county and say jusdge so and so has issued a bench warrant, etc. This is usually done by voice call however.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
BEWARE there is a scam where the thugs threaten arrest over missed jury duty appearances. They will demand payment in i-tunes cards, or other gift cards.

If anyone purchases someone an I-Tune Card, thinking it will legally get them off jury duty, they deserve to be scammed. Is there ANY common sense left in this world? I wonder if these are the same people who buy those silver and gold trimmed, "Concealed Carry" badges?

That's not a scam. People who buy those CCW badges get exactly what they expect. They're just idiots for wanting one.

Dunno about most states, but here we get a nice official card with our faces and info on it. I think those CCW badges are for the "badge flasher" tough guys.

No, I am not in any way talking about legitimate officers. Strictly the ones who aren't and like to give the impression they are with erroneous badges.

Here in TX our LTC uses the same photograph on file from the state DL or ID directory and issues a card that looks much like a state DL or ID. Extremely similar layout to photo, name,address, dates, etc placement with a different title. I had no idea there were "CCW Badges" for sale out there, but on reflection, guess I'm not surprised.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I'm not saying it is right, but unless it was sent certified mail, they cannot prove you received it.

"Like"

Exactly what I was thinking. I try and be a very honest person but this might be a case where my response is, "uhhh, I didn't get any text".

Several years back when I was working nights I received a summons for jury duty. (In the mail). I called the number and explained to the person on the other end I worked nights, and could not make it.

Why does working nights mean you "could not" make it ? Sounds more like you don't want to make it.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Several years back when I was working nights I received a summons for jury duty. (In the mail). I called the number and explained to the person on the other end I worked nights, and could not make it.

Why does working nights mean you "could not" make it ? Sounds more like you don't want to make it.

I'm going to guess he needed to sleep after working 12 hours, but I guess he could probably get by on 2-3 hours sleep and report for duty. Or spend half of jury duty asleep. I'm actually not sure if you get in trouble for falling asleep during a trial if you're on the jury. I remember hearing about some appeal where they claimed they didn't get a fair trial because some people on the jury were asleep. Don't remember the outcome though.

Very true. Especially in today's off the chart, politically correct world. You don't even have to go that far. Just wear a MAGA hat when you show up, and they'll most likely run you out the door at gunpoint.

If I have to show up, I will seriously consider bringing something to read: Mein Kampf.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

If I have to show up, I will seriously consider bringing something to read: Mein Kampf.

Interesting choice. I'm told it's a pretty dry read though. The section on how he was going to attack Russia might be good though. Too bad Stalin didn't read his book like Patton read Rommel's book.

Maybe the Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx? I'm told it's not really that bad, just the implementation was bad and then you have the issue of corruption.

Funny story about Americans reading Rommel. I was watching a documentary about The Battle of 73 Easting. Armor guy was talking about an Iraqi prisoner loaded into his APC who expressed confusion they had a large portrait of The Desert Fox himself taped to the inside of their door.

He asked, "Why would you have a picture of an old American adversary inside of your tank?"

Armor guy says, "We learned a lot of lessons from Rommel, and if you had you wouldn't be handcuffed in the back of my tank!"

I rarely burst out laughing during a war doc, but that was a real zinger right there.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I have no intention of actually reading it...but I figure it will probably get me out of jury duty.

I doubt even that will get you out as they probably won't even see what you're reading. My guess is that if you show up with a Nazi shirt on and a bald head, maybe that would get you out.

But I've been of a few juries before, the overriding thing that struck me was the desire to finish quickly and arrive at a quick verdict. You're not supposed to talk about the case before it's all done so the only thing people would talk about was what they had going on afterwards. I commented about it to a lawyer once and he said that's a common theme also. Many have probably been convicted quickly so that the jurists could go home to dinner early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back