I think I used the wrong fluid....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I am creating a new thread so as to better decipher whether I should do my extremely laborious transmission fluid replacement all over again or whether I should just wing it and call it good so to speak. So, to start with, I have a suped up 2017 Jetta 1.4TSI that I recently did two separate transmission drain and fill services on and on the second fluid replacement I replaced the filter. What is making me question all of this now is that I just realized that the filter I had to get (which was different from the one I initially ordered) was different and I had to get a replacement Rein filter from Carquest on the same day I did the 2nd service. It did not occur to me that the dramatically different filter design could indicate that my fluid choice may be wrong as well since the pan gasket was identical and now, after 4,000 miles, the car seems to drive perfectly fine in every way even though I think I used the wrong fluid.

After some research, I figured out that the 2017 Jetta is supposedly available with either a 09G or 09G (Gen. 2) transmission with each having different fluids and filters. The original design held a little more fluid (7.4 vs. 6.4qts) and used VW fluid spec. G 055 025 A2 whereas the Gen 2. design transmission uses a Dexron VI-ish fluid specified as G 055 040 A2. As it turns out, I now believe I have the Gen 2. transmission but used Gen 1. fluids. Like I said, the car seems to shift and drive perfectly but the difference in spec. is making me question my inclination to just leave it be so that is why I created this post to see what you guys think. The fluids I used for the (2x) drain and fills with the new filter was Amsoil Signature Series ATF (meets 025 A2 spec) along with a bottle of ATP AT-202 transmission additive (similar to Lubegard Red from what I can tell). If I were to redo the service I would probably use the Amsoil Signature Series Fuel Efficient ATF (meets Dex. VI reqs) and then use Lubegard Platinum to convert it into the 040 A2 fluid. However, my instinct tells me that I might be okay since Amsoil and ATP fluids are so [censored] good anyways that maybe I should just let this one slide... What do you guys think?

smirk2.gif
idk

Yes find out what you have. Otherwise you're just flapping about with no data.

At least you have that Amsoil that's so [censored] good
smirk2.gif

A dealer should give you a build sheet or similar that based on VIN tells you every component in he car. I have gotten it from Ford and Chrysler. I assume VW has a similar function available to the service manager.

Originally Posted by Donald
A dealer should give you a build sheet or similar that based on VIN tells you every component in he car. I have gotten it from Ford and Chrysler. I assume VW has a similar function available to the service manager.

+1

How many miles can a '17 Jetta have that would require a tranny fluid change, twice?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Yes find out what you have. Otherwise you're just flapping about with no data.

At least you have that Amsoil that's so [censored] good
smirk2.gif

Uncalled for and not helpful in the least. Please, aren't you above this?

Amsoil says:

Automatic Transmission Fluid
For Automatic Transmission: 09G....SL015
No recommendations available
Capacities: 6 speed 09G Total Fill 6.4 quarts

I just found it interesting that a brand is more important than a specification, and it does so because it is so [censored] good.

Originally Posted by Kira
FIRST STEP: Learn which transmission you have. You may have the correct fluid in your unit.

"Like"

2nd step, find out what (if any) alterations were made in that transmission in 2017 to require the shift from the 7.4 cSt viscosity fluid to the Dex VI 5.8 cSt fluid. It could just be a factor of longevity between OCI's or the lack of shearing with the Dex VI. If the trans wasn't really altered in any significant way, then the fluid change wasn't a "critical" change...and you're probably fine. A lot of car mfg's are trying to combine their fleets to get one common fluid...and Dex VI is still the latest and greatest thing. It does seem to work fine in many automatic transmissions that previously used a Dex III viscosity.

If you have a new car warranty to maintain that's another issue.

Originally Posted by sloinker
How many miles can a '17 Jetta have that would require a tranny fluid change, twice?
This..is...BITOGGGGGGGGGGGGG!
Good job OP on swapping that trans fluid early, and tuning a new car!

Originally Posted by maxdustington

Find a good fluid and change it early and regularly. That is the key to a long life for automatics. That and a little LG red never hurt anything.

The MK6 Jetta uses the Gen 2 09G which is made by Aisin and specs for essentially ATF W-S (can be found at Toyota dealer for cheap). MK5 Jetta uses Gen 1 with the same transmission but specs T-IV (also found at Toyota dealer for cheap)

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421

Find a good fluid and change it early and regularly. That is the key to a long life for automatics. That and a little LG red never hurt anything.

I don't disagree in theory but I also don't change the transmission fluid and filter every 3000 miles. I also agree on the Lube Gard unless you use an ester fraction fluid.

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421

I don't disagree in theory but I also don't change the transmission fluid and filter every 3000 miles. I also agree on the Lube Gard unless you use an ester fraction fluid.

Nobody changes trans fluid every 3k miles that's insane. But 20k on Dino and 45k on syn isn't excessive if you want your unit to last 300k miles. Always change the filter and clean the magnets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back