How did we survive before cabin air filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We survived just fine.
wink.gif

Its all in marketing, something else to get your money,,,as soon as your weather striping shrinks what does a cabin air filter do, you got air leakage now..lol

#1 As stated many times here, the Cabin air filter is to protect the AC parts. Its named for the general public's consumption.
Honestly, I don't know why some people get so riled over the "fact" that a CAF doesn't turn your car into a clean room.
Get over yourself and hold back on those "life ain't the way is was so I'm a better judge of society than you" type comments. They're always the same.

#2 As mentioned above, the Jart ban (if there even is one) came about the hard way. Yes, the big, bad insurance industry had something to do with it.
USE WITH ADULT SUPERVISION

Originally Posted by Vaca
I wonder how dirty the ventilation systems in old cars became before cabin air filters.

I remember as a kid changing the heater core on an old AMC Hornet, but don't remember there being any leaves or nasty dust and grime in it like we see here in some of these "nasty cabin filter" posts here.

Maybe the old, pre-cabin-filter cars were designed to keep that stuff out, or maybe it just built up inside the air handler somewhere?

I suspect that as always there's a combination of factors at play which makes it impossible to answer these types of questions. For example many cabin air filters contain activated charcoal which filter some smells and some VOCs. The climate control systems are more complex with the introduction of motorized dampers so remaining relativity dust/dirt free insures long operational life. Then there's the size and efficiency of the compressor & evaporator, which is somewhat dictated by the type of refrigerant and mpg targets. The filters keep evap coils operating at the intended efficiency.

Last edited:
They definitely help protect the system, just like the HVAC filter in your house. Some seem to be more prone to catching crud than others... I have noticed some cabin air filters get dirty quickly and others stay clean twice as long. I believe older cars had a screen where the outside air is drawn in through the cowl but an actual cabin air filter is more effective and also works when the system is in recirculate. As others have stated, they probably don't catch the real harmful stuff for health... but they do catch some stuff you'd rather not breathe in if you can help it.

Over the years I have found leaves, mouse nests, and even a dead mouse on the dirty side of cabin air filters. All things that are better off not in the evaporator or heater cores, or other duct work. This is especially true when you consider just how much work it is to get to these parts in a modern car.

Prices can be kind of ridiculous though, especially through the dealer. Better deals can be found online as long as they fit properly. Last time I bought them at the dealer they were $25 which is a bit much, so I'm trying one I bought online for $6. It isn't a critical part like an engine air filter.

nascarnation

You made it to 70 years old because you "Gotta Be Tough" to live in Cleveland. You drank the the water sucked out of Lake Erie (mixed with contaminants from the mills and paint manufacturers) which bonded with your internal organs making them resilient to the ravages of disease and injury. I thought you were aware of this already.

nuff said,

xtell

cabin filter works great. No issues with seasonal allergies. BTW, I only buy Mann FreciousOne which seam better than regular charcoal version

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by nascarnation
The real question is....having grown up in the 1950s downwind of the Cleveland steel mills and refineries...and swam in Lake Erie all summer long as a child...how did I make it to 70 yrs old?

You probably drank from a garden hose, too.

Back in the 50-70's we had well water which was the best tasting and coldest in the neighborhood, all the kids in the neighborhood would come to our place to drink water out of the hose in the front yard, but all that went downhill when BECKMANS an electronic mfgr contaminated the water, they ended up paying for all the people with contaminated wells to be hooked up to city water, we could only use the well water for gardening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back