Fluidfilm - Persistent cough after use

Status
Not open for further replies.
The MSDS for aerosol Fluidfilm does not say much, but should I be concerned about a persistent cough after I used the spray version? It's a tickling type of cough like from a cold, but I'm not sick.

Since it is lanolin based, I'm concerned I got some of the lanolin into my lungs or something.

I have breathed in the vapor from Fluid Film many times while using it and never had a problem. I don't think there is anything in it that is toxic that would cause any problems, maybe I am wrong?

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
You did not use a respirator ? Or a simple dust mask ?

I regret not doing so.

lanolin allergy? not too uncommon. maybe try an antihistamine..of course this is medical advice from a finance guy. hope you feel better

Last edited:
From my own experience I doubt you did yourself any damage but lungs generally don't like anything atomized other than moisture that occurs naturally in the air or medications designed for inhalers, If it doesn't clear go to the doctor.
Coughing is normal when the lungs are trying to rid themselves of that stuff, Consider yourself lucky it was fluid film and not something heavy in dangerous solvents.

Just irrititation. You'll cough it out. Lesson learned! Get ya a couple of those 3M 6000 series facmask respirators off Amazon / eBay. Like $18 and peplacement filters are$ 5-8/ set. Cheap works and above all comfortable so you'll actually seat it. Makes those paper masks look like the trash they really are. The less of any of dusty hobby crap that you inhale the better🤗

Originally Posted by Trav
From my own experience I doubt you did yourself any damage but lungs generally don't like anything atomized other than moisture that occurs naturally in the air or medications designed for inhalers, If it doesn't clear go to the doctor.
Coughing is normal when the lungs are trying to rid themselves of that stuff, Consider yourself lucky it was fluid film and not something heavy in dangerous solvents.

Good advice here. If it doesn't go away see a doctor. Going forward wear proper equipment, even for stuff touted as non-toxic.

Give it a few days if it does not go away you have to see a doctor. You might have asthma or allergic to the stuff.

When I clean or sweep my garage a have to wear a full face respirator because the dust, even in small amounts, drives my chest crazy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by Trav

Good advice here. If it doesn't go away see a doctor. Going forward wear proper equipment, even for stuff touted as non-toxic.

No one here more qualified to comment than a painter!

Absolutely wear some form of protection appropriate for the product being applied. Luckily lanolin is pretty mild and you will likely stop coughing after you work it out. Good luck!

Absolutely wear the proper PPE! Inhalation of oil and solvent mists can be extremely dangerous and further complicated by the unknown effects of additives.

I've used the stuff myself in confined breathing areas and have had a minor cough afterward but short duration. (I have really bad lungs though). I should have used a mask.
I would see if it clears up in a couple days and if not visit your doctor to be on the safe side. It is fairly safe stuff though from the SDS.

Last edited:
Yeah I've made the mistake of using it once without a mask...ended up with a cough for a few days. I'd keep an eye on it and head to the doctor if it doesn't stop, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Like others have said, at least it was Fluid Film and not something else like 3M. 3M body cavity rust prevention has cancer warnings on the can, I used it right before winter and I'll never use it again. The smell of the stuff lingered in my truck for two weeks. I breathed that crap in for weeks...who knows? Probably still am. But the can said if ventilated it was "safe". The stuff smells like cancer gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back