2020 GMC SIERRA HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by 02SE
The grill has to be large, to adequately cool the engines for the power they make, and the loads they are rated to tow. It's the same for Ford and RAM.

A Bugatti Chiron needs to eject over 3,000hp worth of heat and manages to do it while not looking like a brick wall. Little bit of an extreme comparison yes, but through aerodynamics you can achieve a lot. It is easier to take a massive radiator, mount it perpendicular to the road, and call it a day though.

I guess I could mention how much power the cars I'm contracted to oversee, make. They have NO cooling system. Like the street car Chiron, they can't pull 30k+ lbs up a steep mountain grade in 100°+ F heat for miles on end, either.

The grill has to be large, to adequately cool the engines for the power they make, and the loads they are rated to tow. It's the same for Ford and RAM.

A Bugatti Chiron needs to eject over 3,000hp worth of heat and manages to do it while not looking like a brick wall. Little bit of an extreme comparison yes, but through aerodynamics you can achieve a lot. It is easier to take a massive radiator, mount it perpendicular to the road, and call it a day though.

I guess I could mention how much power the cars I'm contracted to oversee, make. They have NO cooling system. Like the street car Chiron, they can't pull 30k+ lbs up a steep mountain grade in 100°+ F heat for miles on end, either.

Car with no cooling system? How???? I'm genuinely curious, assuming it's not a trade secret or top secret thing lol

Last edited:
They only run at full power for a bit over 3.5 seconds. Then they are rebuilt.

A pic from the pit of one of the teams I worked on a few years back.

del_worsham_injector.jpg

Last edited:
They only run at full power for a bit over 3.5 seconds. Then they are rebuilt.

A pic from the pit of one of the teams I worked on a few years back.

I'm jealous, I totally forgot those have no cooling. I can't wait to start taking my boys to some events!

Mount a set of longhorns on the hood and put a ring through that upper opening and it will look like a bull running down the freeway.

Originally Posted by 4WD
And close to 340 in 1000

The frustrating thing is they could go significantly quicker and faster, if it weren't for the regulations that are intended to and do slow them down. Of course the problem is enough room to slow them down at some venues.

Aeronautical engineering proved that through the use of sealed ducting, a duct's opening can be 1/4 of the area of the heat exchanger and still force more air through that heat exchanger than if not ducted at all.

Problem is, you have to have room for this ducting. Without stretching the nose, there's no way to get it in there. These trucks do not need to be longer. Better to put up with them as they are.

Look at almost any other type of truck throwing down more than 400hp and almost 1000 ft/lbs of torque and the grilles and radiators of these LD trucks look miniscule.

Anyone who drives an LD truck that hauls heavy loads in hot weather can tell you that seeing 230°F+ going up a grade is not unusual. GM has been the worst offender, exceeding 215°F on level ground with heavy loads.

The radiators and grilles really can't be too big. That's just the radiator.

Then we come to the intercooler. It's going to be shoved with 30+ psi. Thats a huge thermal load. Transmission cooler? When TC is unlocked, Converter Outlet Temps of 260-350°F can be expected.

Big job to do, and too many times it has to be done with only 30-40MPH of organic airflow. Sometimes less.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp

Aeronautical engineering proved that through the use of sealed ducting, a duct's opening can be 1/4 of the area of the heat exchanger and still force more air through that heat exchanger than if not ducted at all.

Problem is, you have to have room for this ducting. Without stretching the nose, there's no way to get it in there. These trucks do not need to be longer. Better to put up with them as they are.

Look at almost any other type of truck throwing down more than 400hp and almost 1000 ft/lbs of torque and the grilles and radiators of these LD trucks look miniscule.

Anyone who drives an LD truck that hauls heavy loads in hot weather can tell you that seeing 230°F+ going up a grade is not unusual. GM has been the worst offender, exceeding 215°F on level ground with heavy loads.

Then we come to the intercooler. It's going to be shoved with 30+ psi. Thats a huge thermal load. Transmission cooler? When TC is unlocked, Converter Outlet Temps of 260-350°F can be expected.

Big job to do, and too many times it has to be done with only 30-40MPH of organic airflow. Sometimes less.

Very good post. Towing and high speed driving, though may generate the same amount of heat, are not the same in terms of engineering solutions for thermal management.

Originally Posted by HangFire

Maybe, but it doesn't have to be that in-your-face Ugly.

But like JHZR2 said, I guess that is what sells now.

It's better looking than the Chevy, IMO.

[Linked Image]

Apparently their inspiration was a 1985 Ford cabover:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp

Thank you for explaining this! Makes more sense about the huge grilles now

No problem. Also, in GM's defense, their radiator is actually made larger than the grille opening, extending behind the headlights. Those things are tough to keep cool. Results of a sort of unstoppable Force hauling a sort of unmovable object.

BTW, that Ford COE is so ugly even it's own mother must have abandoned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back