The Resurrection of Exide

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.batteriesinternational.c...w-products-and-approaches-for-next-year/

6 December 2018: The new CEO of Exide Technologies, Tim Vargo, has outlined a new approach for the business in North America, where new products using the firm's EFB technology will be launched next year......

"In the Americas, we are simplifying the battery selection process using what we call a ‘Powering and Starting' approach," Vargo said. "This helps guide the purchase in balancing a vehicle's unique battery demands and the consumer lifestyle.

"Our Marathon and Marathon Max products are tailored to the Powering division. These batteries provide optimal power for vehicle infotainment systems, advanced safety equipment, and start/stop functionality. Marathon utilizes EFB technology while Marathon Max is an AGM product.

"For vehicles that require only essential starting power, Exide has developed the Sprinter and Sprinter Max lines. Powering and Starting products will be available in the coming months."

Exide has only just introduced EFB technology to the North American market, launching its Nautilus marine battery in November, which was designed to meet the growing energy need in modern boats, which contain more electrical equipment.

Vargo said the new products would all include Exide's LifeGrid technology — which the company promises offers improved battery performance and enhanced durability — and ErgoLock cover design.

My 5 1/2 year old "carbon enhanced" Exide Edge AGM battery is still going strong. But Exide did stiff me on the $25 rebate when I bought the battery in 2013.

Hasn't Exide already been resurrected twice this century after two corporation bankruptcies? I know its alkaline batteries are dirt cheap compared to Duracell and Energizer. AA 20 pack on sale this week at Rural King for $2.99.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I wouldn't buy an Exide if you paid me. Their Automotive batteries are terrible.

I keep hearing this over and over on this forum, but it's the opposite of what I've seen here in the desert.

My mom's 2012 Jeep Patriot has had an Exide for almost 3 years, no other battery has lasted this long in it, especially the OEM battery, or the AutoZone battery it replaced.

My Sonata has had an Exide non-AGM (OE was an AGM) in it since October 2017, while not a real long time it hasn't had an issue yet.

My aunt's 1970 VW Beetle has had an Exide in it since August 2016, no issues yet.

Just put an Exide in my Jeep a couple weeks ago.

A friend of mine owns a mechanic's shop and for years has used Exide batteries exclusively and is very happy with them. This is also in his 02' BMW 525i.

The last battery I bought was Interstate from Costco. When the NAPA Legend dies I'll get the replacement from Costco as well.

Johnson Controls has been making Interstate batteries, among others, for years. I've always had good luck with JC made batteries.
I wonder who will be making batteries and what the quality will be for all those different brands orphaned by JC now that they sold their battery division.

Last edited:
The last Exide I had was OK. It didn't spread acidic gunk all over itself and surrounding hardware like the JCI ones did.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by StevieC
I wouldn't buy an Exide if you paid me. Their Automotive batteries are terrible.

I keep hearing this over and over on this forum, but it's the opposite of what I've seen here in the desert.

My mom's 2012 Jeep Patriot has had an Exide for almost 3 years, no other battery has lasted this long in it, especially the OEM battery, or the AutoZone battery it replaced.

My Sonata has had an Exide non-AGM (OE was an AGM) in it since October 2017, while not a real long time it hasn't had an issue yet.

My aunt's 1970 VW Beetle has had an Exide in it since August 2016, no issues yet.

A friend of mine owns a mechanic's shop and for years has used Exide batteries exclusively and is very happy with them. This is also in his 02' BMW 525i.

That seems like a limited window of experience. Optima batteries have gotten a lot of hate lately, but the Optima Red Top in my Suburban was made and installed in 2004. So its now 14 years old. The OEM AC Delco in my Saturn lasted 8 years, and the replacement Optima Red Top is now 4 years old. I had a no-name, sold by Autozone battery for my Waverunner that lasted for 7 years, and I only had to replace it because I twisted one of the terminals and broke it.

Originally Posted by fcjeep
Johnson Controls has been making Interstate batteries, among others, for years. I've always had good luck with JC made batteries.
I wonder who will be making batteries and what the quality will be for all those different brands orphaned by JC now that they sold their battery division.

Interstate Batteries could be made by almost anybody. I am not sure if they still use Exide, but they have used both East Penn and JC as suppliers at the same time. The last set of batteries I purchased was 2 group 27 AGM Deka batteries for my boat. I think they are made by East Penn. I was extremely happy with them, although they were expensive ($200 each) compared to group 27 flooded batteries.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Exide batteries. Not only in my vehicles but for starting diesel generator sets as well. I buy sixteen 8D batteries every other year for the last fifteen years. Had no problems. Prior to that, I bought them almost every day when I was a field tech fixing generators.
Honestly, I don't remember ever having an issue with one.

The only automotive battery I ever had a terrible experience with bore the Champion label. It was a spiral wound design sold at Sam's Club last decade. I replaced it with an Interstate after the third failure in a little over 3 years, the Interstate soldiered on for 5+ more years and was still in use when I sold that truck during a polar vortex winter in the Great Lakes area 5 years ago. I expect the battery I'll purchase when the factory battery in my current truck needs replacement will be a Bosch AGM manufactured by Exide. I installed a Bosch AGM in my wife's 2011 Mustang when the factory battery got below 70% capacity but that car got totaled 4 months after that.

Originally Posted by Nick1994

I agree with you 100%. I have had very good longevity out of Exide batteries in my 1991 F-150, which has seen nothing but desert driving for the last 28 years. Same with my wife's 1991 Mustang until we sold in in 2015 when we bought our Jeep.

I would regularly get close to, if not a full 3 Summers out of them. (On average 2 Summers is about all you can hope for, in a under the hood car battery in the desert southwest). While most all of the batteries purchased from Auto Zone, Pep Boy's, and the other chain parts stores would all go south before the Exide models.

Maybe with Exide the reason we have had bad luck with them is they are using multiple plants and one of the plants is substandard compared to the others. I can't explain it for the simple fact that they never seem to last past 3 years. Family, Friends, my dad's shop customers should be enough of a sample size. It's why he started carrying anything other than Exide batteries and it's all we have used since in the family as well.

I actually can't wait for the battery in the Caravan to die so I stuff an Odyssey AGM battery in there.
20.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Every flooded exide it have had leaked acid around the posts. I saw it on my cars,customers cars too.

That was my major complaint..
everytime I see one they have the acid fuzz growing sometimes the cables were blue and corroded. Doesnt matter if its in the tractor, car, whatever.
actually had to replace the battery cables in tractor from that.

Just a heads up... I saw new batteries at my AZ and they were Exide I believe... Flush top cover with openings on the back end of a group 35 and 24f. The latest Exide battery case looked exactly like the one I saw at AutoZone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back