Which 5W40 do you like best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
Redline Euro 5w40, NOACK of 6%, HTHS 4.3 and calcium under 2000ppm.

The Euro 5w40 has a NOACK of 11%.
https://www.redlineoil.com/professional-series-5w40-motor-oil

The regular (higher ZDDP) 5w40 is 6%
https://www.redlineoil.com/5w40t-motor-oil

The Euro is approved one. They had to develop separate 5W40 oil to get approvals, and they did, a truly mediocre one. Nothing stopped Redline to get approval for their regular 5W40 if they could. Which means that regular 5W40 does not meet and exceed requirements.
But, as long as there is sheep, there will be wool.

With increasing Euro emissions standards, it affects what goes into the additive package.

That's why Redline claims on the higher ZDDP version it still meets the 505.00-1997 and 505.01-1999 revisions, not the current revision that meets Euro 6 emissions requirements.

Redline knows the regular one will fail the current VW standard due to its additive package with its higher zddp and probably Sulphated ash, so they didn't bother to get that one "approved".

I agree with all that, but Redline also claims it meets and exceeds MB229.5, LL01, ACEA etc.
There is nothing to be bothered. You send oil to company, pay some $5,000, you get approval. They do bother, A LOT, I have to say, to convince buyers how their oils meet and exceed requirements, which they do not.

The Euro 5w40 has a NOACK of 11%.
https://www.redlineoil.com/professional-series-5w40-motor-oil

The regular (higher ZDDP) 5w40 is 6%
https://www.redlineoil.com/5w40-motor-oil

https://www.redlineoil.com/euro-series-5w40-motor-oil

Seems to be 6%

It is not, there is Euro series and Euro Professional.

The Euro Series is obviously what I meant.

[Linked Image]

Back when I owned a '06 VW Jetta Tdi, 505.01 was kinda an elusive oil and if you did find some it was a little pricey. Now Supertech (Wally World) offers it for around $6.00/qt.

Originally Posted by sohccammer427
Back when I owned a '06 VW Jetta Tdi, 505.01 was kinda an elusive oil and if you did find some it was a little pricey. Now Supertech (Wally World) offers it for around $6.00/qt.

Well first off, that oil has none of the actual VW certifications it is listing. All of them are "recommended only" as are the MB ones.

But second, where do you see 505 01? That's somewhat of an odd spec as you know.

Snagged some PetroCan Synth 5W40 a while back. Looks like it's "recommended" for A3/B4, 502.00/505.00, LL01, MB 229.5, A40 and SN.

It's a 'rare' product, not a big mover and hardly marketed. I don't think PetroCan chemists would bluff on 'meeting' those specs and definitely don't think they'd pull it out of their butt or sell a shoddy product. Haven't used it yet but as far as liking it, yeah I guess I like it! lol

Originally Posted by PeterPolyol
Snagged some PetroCan Synth 5W40 a while back.

Funny you mention this as I have used PC lubricants in the past and I looked at their website just earlier today and for the life of me I couldn't find a 5W40 offering.
21.gif

And cannot get ANY approval.

Then it must be junk, right?

Almost forgot this one. By the way, all the oils shown ( is it 100%? )
" meet or exceed the specifications" of listed specs. For instance, this product is recommended by Exxon Mobil through their Canadian subsidiary, Imperial Oil, to meet Volkswagen spec 503.01 but as far as I know is not on the official list of Volkswagen approved 503.01 motor oils. ( unless someone has an updated list)

If anyone wants to spend their time looking for oils that have actual licences from the manufacturer, knock yourself out. I would go with any of the oils listed here.
laugh.gif

8ABBFB83-8550-4275-9C7D-8C0FBEEBF9D2.jpeg

B224B44D-D325-4288-8DF5-2FA4DDB03A89.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mainia

And cannot get ANY approval.

Then it must be junk, right?

Junk is not. Is it worth that money? No. Are there better oils? Yes.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Almost forgot this one. By the way, all the oils shown ( is it 100%? )
" meet or exceed the specifications" For instance, this product is recommended by Exxon Mobil through their Canadian subsidiary, Imperial Oil, to meet Volkswagen spec 503.01 but as far as I know is not on the official list of Volkswagen approved 503.01 motor oils. ( unless someone has an updated list)

If anyone wants to spend their time looking for oils that have actual licences from the manufacturer, knock yourself out. I would go with any of the oils listed here.
laugh.gif

VW 503.01 is discontinued specification. Oil companies cannot get approval for that specification anymore. However, some more serious manufacturers still put that their oil meets those requirements for people who own cars that call for that particular specification.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by sohccammer427

Well first off, that oil has none of the actual VW certifications it is listing. All of them are "recommended only" as are the MB ones.

But second, where do you see 505 01? That's somewhat of an odd spec as you know.

I stand corrected. I saw 501.01 and 505.00 and my brain must have came up with 505.01. Glad i'm on to 507.00 now.

besides all certifications costing $$$ any spec that exceeds what is in said certifications will not meet said spec, you need to be in that "window" to get an approval. take our beloved ZDDP, its being reduced regularly + surely most users would like more not less. Redline's newer less costly line of oils are similar to what Amsoil did, blend a good but but NOT as good as your top oil + charge less. Phillips now owns Redline + they are prolly looking to expand into other markets. face it Redline's Ester based oils are superior, prolly more than most users need + at its cost is a small market. in reality we REALLY don't know any more than what the specs say, look at the higher priced Amsoil today, no comments on base oils as in the past so just blended good enough to meet a spec! my interest in 5-40 lies with girlfriends 13 malibu 2.5 DI which has progressively been using more oil. the last change i used liqui-moly 5-40 + have not needed to top up for 2,xxx miles where as brand name 10-30's were almost a qt on a thou + dont mention the spec 5-20 i tried when new it took a qt on a thou + was getting worse. i believe besides the temperatures in your area as well as your consumption should govern your oil choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
besides all certifications costing $$$ any spec that exceeds what is in said certifications will not meet said spec, you need to be in that "window" to get an approval. take our beloved ZDDP, its being reduced regularly + surely most users would like more not less. Redline's newer less costly line of oils are similar to what Amsoil did, blend a good but but NOT as good as your top oil + charge less. Phillips now owns Redline + they are prolly looking to expand into other markets. face it Redline's Ester based oils are superior, prolly more than most users need + at its cost is a small market. in reality we REALLY don't know any more than what the specs say, look at the higher priced Amsoil today, no comments on base oils as in the past so just blended good enough to meet a spec! my interest in 5-40 lies with girlfriends 13 malibu 2.5 DI which has progressively been using more oil. the last change i used liqui-moly 5-40 + have not needed to top up for 2,xxx miles where as brand name 10-30's were almost a qt on a thou + dont mention the spec 5-20 i tried when new it took a qt on a thou + was getting worse. i believe besides the temperatures in your area as well as your consumption should govern your oil choice.

This is the biggest LIE that redline actually and their fan base pushed.
Approval for VW 504.00/507.00 costed 3,200 euros for one oil I was part of testing procedure.
Are you saying Redline does not have/does not want to pay 3,200 euros?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 21Rouge
Thanks Snagglefoot for the Canada only oil suggestion.

At first glance or two Pennzoil Platinum EURO 5W40 looks quite good.

PP EURO (with PurePlus technology)

I think this is same as what we call Shell Helix Ultra in Europe - when I last used it, was the cheapest 5w40 oil that had big German manufacturer approvals (rather than just meets).

Originally Posted by NGRhodes
Originally Posted by 21Rouge
Thanks Snagglefoot for the Canada only oil suggestion.

At first glance or two Pennzoil Platinum EURO 5W40 looks quite good.

PP EURO (with PurePlus technology)

I think this is same as what we call Shell Helix Ultra in Europe - when I last used it, was the cheapest 5w40 oil that had big German manufacturer approvals (rather than just meets).

Ye sit is, it is same oil.
If you read back label of Pennzoil it says: SOPUS (Shell Oil Products United States).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back