Mobil 1 5W30 C7 Z06

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is a 2016 Corvette Z06 with a manual transmission. The used oil was M1 5W30, the new oil is M1 ESP 0W40.

I have never trusted the oil life gadget in the Corvette. It told me to change the oil after 3,000 +/- miles. I drove it for an additional 4,000 miles.

Next change will be after I drive this oil for at least 10,000 miles.

The first oil report
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Much better numbers than I had on samples with my 2008 Z06 with the LS7, maybe yours is wearing better, maybe I drove mine more abusive than you do. I'll find some reports to compare notes. My OLM recommend a much longer OCI than 3k, more like the intervals you're actually running.

Originally Posted by PLRX
The car is a 2016 Corvette Z06 with a manual transmission. The used oil was M1 5W30, the new oil is M1 ESP 0W40.

I have never trusted the oil life gadget in the Corvette. It told me to change the oil after 3,000 +/- miles. I drove it for an additional 4,000 miles.

That's probably because you were approaching the one year mark, and the OLM on the C7 Corvettes also uses a time factor, so if you don't drive it at all for 6 months of the year it'll still cause the OLM to go down by 50%. It will always hit the 0% mark at or before the one year mark, it'll never let you go as long as one year. The C6 and C5 Corvettes did not have this time factor built into the OLM (which is how I was able to do 2 year intervals on my old C6 and still not hit 0% on the OLM)

Looking forward to seeing your report with 0w40 ESP. I think it's a much better choice in the long run compared to the regular M1 5w30.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Much better numbers than I had on samples with my 2008 Z06 with the LS7, maybe yours is wearing better, maybe I drove mine more abusive than you do. I'll find some reports to compare notes. My OLM recommend a much longer OCI than 3k, more like the intervals you're actually running.

That crazy long stroke in the 7.0 probably ups the wear metals, and the higher redline.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3

That crazy long stroke in the 7.0 probably ups the wear metals, and the higher redline.

I always thought that the LS7s were 'square' bore/stroke-wise, albeit yes, that would still be a significantly longer stroke than the 'over-square' setup all of the lesser displacement LS/LT engines would use.
21.gif

"We now encourage all owners to change their oil at 500 miles to remove possible contaminants created during the engine break-in process. And, as always, we encourage the use of Mobil 1 synthetic oil - which is a factory fill for all Z06 models, and Stingray Z51 models - and encourage owners to follow the engine break-in process detailed in the owner's manual," stated Monte Doran, spokesman for Chevrolet. -- https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...orvette-z06-owners-change-oil-500-miles/

That was for 2015 models I think. Does Chevy still recommend that?
Switching to the new dexos2 0w40 oil should help reduce valve deposits going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back