Ford Focus Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about this, the more I believe it's fake news.

There was a fake story a while back about the El Camino coming back.

Fake news.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The more I think about this, the more I believe it's fake news.

There was a fake story a while back about the El Camino coming back.

Fake news.

It's the Ruskies messing with our minds.

I think North Americans want actual trucks, not some watered down pick up on a car chassis. The Subaru Baja and Honda Ridgeline prove that although there might be interest in car-based SUVs, the market isn't as receptive to a car that is missing it's trunk lid.

I'd buy one if they make it with a manual trans. ESPECIALLY if they have ST or RS versions!

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I think North Americans want actual trucks, not some watered down pick up on a car chassis.

No...... retired people often want a small simple "truck"

My grandfather was an avid gardener....
his brand new El Camino was perfect for him.

A bed big enough for gardening stuff, it's lower to the ground so it's easier to load and unload, easier to get in an out of...

Think of all the baby boomers that could use a small truck, but do NOT want a full size truck cost and eating space

Originally Posted by Linctex
I think North Americans want actual trucks, not some watered down pick up on a car chassis.

No...... retired people often want a small simple "truck"

My grandfather was an avid gardener....
his brand new El Camino was perfect for him.

A bed big enough for gardening stuff, it's lower to the ground so it's easier to load and unload, easier to get in an out of...

Think of all the baby boomers that could use a small truck, but do NOT want a full size truck cost and eating space

Exactly. I just saw an ad for a GMC with steps that fold down out of the tailgate! Who needs that? I need something small to haul yard supplies, an occasional chair, things like that.

NASTY SARCASM WARNING: Being it's a 4 door, does that automatically mean it'll get profoundly lousy fuel mileage?

Any 4 door pick-up I've ever known drank gas like Niagara Falls.

NOTE: That similar vehicles are/were built for different markets lends to this not being fake news.
Stories headlined, "Ford no longer to make cars so go jump off a bridge", are sensationalist, fake news.

OMG it won't tow 10k with a family of six inside--it'll never sell. The shame!

When I was in the market I would buy one.. as long as its not $30000

back in 2002 you could get a pretty loaded 4x4 offroad pkg supercab (4 door) ranger with the 4.0L for low 20's

Got a slightly less loaded one with a MT in 2005 (still 4.0L 4x4)for 19000 out the door.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Maybe because the Ranger is now the size of an F150 from a few years ago?

This is my thought. They completely abandoned the Ranger customer base with the new Ranger. It has a completely different market. They need an actual small pickup option that can come basic and affordable.

I don't think a 4 door version of a small truck is going to go over well but if the overall intent is to get back into small pickups, I hope they do it right.

There is no customer base here where the lone Ford dealership has more Super Duty units on the lot than F150's …

I think North Americans want actual trucks, not some watered down pick up on a car chassis. The Subaru Baja and Honda Ridgeline prove that although there might be interest in car-based SUVs, the market isn't as receptive to a car that is missing it's trunk lid.

I'd buy one if they make it with a manual trans. ESPECIALLY if they have ST or RS versions!

I think there is some interest in car-based trucks/SUVs, but some are price prohibitive. The Ridgeline is a great example. I would probably prefer to daily that than any of the other mid sizers. It also gets better fuel economy than most of the midsizers. But it also seems to cost quite a bit more than the others. What 'most' people that have trucks really need is a bed for larger items, or dirty items. I use the bed on my truck pretty often but I don't bash around off road with it. The Ridgeline or a car based truck would have superior on road driving characteristics.

I thought about Ridgeline but "just had to have" a real truck. Plus I was worried about its AWD system as it got older.

But a car based one is probably vastly better for me. The high bed height is turning into a real nuisance as I get older, as are the heavy tires. Just give me decent towing (3,500).

Although I have to admit to liking the cap I have on my truck. The cargo area can be as dirty as it wants to be, or as smelly, and no problems to passengers. But it will stay dry. 4x8 utility trailer for tall items. Recent acquisition was a 6x14 enclosed trailer for when I really need to move stuff. But there's my rub--wind drag on that tends to be a lot for cars. Not sure I'd want vehicle I want to downsize to.

I'm a 2 truck guy - a big truck and a little truck.

For my full-size pickup needs, I have a full size 4x4 V8 pickup.

80+% of the time it's ludicrous overkill, hard riding, hard to park, and thirsty.

Everything up to 5K tow- the ridgeline simply does it better.

Conservatively driven my 4D AWD Ridge gets better mileage than my Lexus Hybrid SUV

UD

Ridge glamis run.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back