Vintage bypass canister converted to toilet paper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my grandfather's 1956 Buick running again a few years ago and he originally had a LuberFiner model 200s bypass filtration system installed. Unfortunately these units are very obsolete, but I have been considering running an old AC Delco or Fram bypass system from the era. Filters are readily available but the stacked disc media are all but obsolete as well. As far as I know, the replacement filters are just standard filter media and nominal micron rating is sketchy information at best (one source says 10 nominal and another says 32). Has anyone converted a system like this to accept a role of toilet paper? I know Frantz used to make conversions for these canisters as well, but they're pretty hard to find compared to their normal Frantz filter counterparts.

Suggestions are also welcome. I have a large 5 micron nominal spin on bypass filter, but I'd rather keep it period correct.

Watch eBay for a Frantz conversion. I purchased one there a few years ago and have seen some since then.

Originally Posted by CT8
What will the benefit be ?

Remove water and fuel vapor from crankcase would be the biggest. Reduce sludge build up, keep the oil cleaner. I live in Washington, with high humidity. I've done all the research so I know there isn't a huge benefit if my OCI is consistent. Just trying to keep the bypass legacy going.

I remember seeing condensation on the dipstick of a Chevrolet six cylinder that had an original factory bypass oil filter 60 years ago in the dry Denver area. In a high humidity area like Washington, it would be a huge problem.

There's a Frantz including the old style canister presently on eBay....way over priced but available.

This thread simply begs for pictures! Great idea to do the update if you can. It will keep the servicing consistent, will provide extra filtration to an engine from a time when the "normal" dirt and gunk level was something we'd call a disaster today. Additionally, it will provide you some measure of satisfaction and enjoyment. That's an important benefit that's so often overlooked on this site. Let's all face it -- a 56 Buick is long past the "practical transportation" phase of its life.

Hello Forum People, I have several Harvard bypass oil filter mounts and the spin on filter cartridges available. These are or were the better form of the famous Frantz Oil Filters. They were easier to service and pretty much dummy proof like a stock oil filter spins on and off. However, these have much longer service interval options depending on vehicle and of course the oil that's being used. I am new to bob is the oil guy and glad I found it. My dad was a distributor for Frantz, Harvard, Filtron, Braygo, Omega, and other pioneers in the oil and clean oil industry. Please let your friends know about this stash of vintage TP bypass spin on filter cartridges, mounts, and brass fittings etc.

I bought a cheap 8N tractor oil cannister complete with the original lines for $22 shipped. It uses the c3p style cartidge.
After I found out they are abandoning the stacked plate bypass filters, (that's really bad of them), I too am wondering if I can stuff in a tissue roll and come up with a way to make it function properly. The design pushes oil up the center and oil flow trickles down through the tissue and is collected on the bottom. I think I can make something to work. And will post some pics.
My idea is to create a sealed with a grommet central tube, so put in the roll, push tube down center pipe, center tube will have an outer lip to grab edge of roll and the top bolt spring will push down on grommeted center tube to seal the filter paper roll. The bottom of the can is cone shaped, so should properly squeeze the roll tight there.

As its made now, oil can come in from the bottom fitting, pass up the center tube to the exit hole before the cover bolt, so it will be reverse of the original oil flow. I think the one I am getting has a plug drain, that can be adapted to collect the oil to return to the sump.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back