Interstate Battery Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needed a new battery for my 04 Volvo wagon. Called ahead to local Interstate seller to ask them to set aside an Interstate MTP 49/H8. Went over there the next day to do the swap, and the seller recommended that I go with the MT 49/H8 instead. He showed me that the mid-range MT actually has better cranking-specs than the high-end MTP (MT: 900 CCA, 1000 CA, 150 RC, 80 Ah vs. MTP: 730 CCA, 910 CA, 175 RC, 100 Ah). He said the MTP does come with a six-month longer warranty, but this is offset by the smaller price for the MT.

My question, is there some other appreciable difference between the batteries that I'm missing? I live in Vermont, where the higher the CCA the better. So I'm inclined to give my wallet a break and get the MT over the MTP.

Last edited:
I was shopping for a 47/H5 yesterday for my '99 S70, and I found the same thing with a different brand. (I forget which) The higher end model had smaller CCA. Ultimately, I bought a Durastart from Runnings for $109. Manufactured by Exide. Probably not the best battery, but that's still 20% the value of the car it's in.
crazy2.gif

I'm not a chemist, but my guess is that whatever changes they make to improve longevity may also reduce the ability to dump electrons as quickly? So the electrodes and electrolytes are more stable might necessarily mean that you don't get the same CCA.

On the other hand, it could just be marketing. All warranties are based upon a known product's life expectancy. There is a bell curve for the number of failures over time, and the warranty is always set to expire well before the peak of the curve. With the added revenue on the pricier model, they may be able to move that expiration date out 6 months and still come out ahead.

In terms of CCA, the more the better. Especially for when the vehicle's battery ages. Maybe someone else can comment on the differences between the MTP / MT's if there is anything that would be applicable to your applications but I don't see any.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by olivess
Needed a new battery for my 04 Volvo wagon. Called ahead to local Interstate seller to ask them to set aside an Interstate MTP 49/H8. Went over there the next day to do the swap, and the seller recommended that I go with the MT 49/H8 instead. He showed me that the mid-range MT actually has better cranking-specs than the high-end MTP (MT: 900 CCA, 1000 CA, 150 RC, 80 Ah vs. MTP: 730 CCA, 910 CA, 175 RC, 100 Ah). He said the MTP does come with a six-month longer warranty, but this is offset by the smaller price for the MT.

My question, is there some other appreciable difference between the batteries that I'm missing? I live in Vermont, where the higher the CCA the better. So I'm inclined to give my wallet a break and get the MT over the MTP.

More CCA in same group size is not always a good idea as the plates are thinner and weaker to get more CCA in same footprint. A bigger battery that still fits is a good idea however. Best to aim to the same CCA that came in the car from the factory. Or slightly larger.

I would look at Deka batteries which means NAPA and CarQuest. Ask who made a specific battery. Deka may not make all models. There may be others who sell Deka/East Penn.

I just replaced the Panasonic battery in my Subaru Forester with a NAPA AGM for $180 plus tax. Made by Deka.

Interstate is made by JCI and they are good batteries, but the consensus is Deka is better (and made in USA).

In my humble opinion I would go with the 100 ah battery. It has a longer warranty for a reason and 730 CCA should be sufficient. I usually have a few old batteries I keep around for my trolling motor. There are three of them on my work bench right now taking a trickle charge. Over the years I have found the bigger the batter, the heavier the battery and the more Reserve minutes the battery has, the longer it lasts.

My understanding is the discrepancy/difference is due to ruggedness/reliability in the plate design.

The "higher" battery (MTP) is going to last longer and be more reliable because of thicker plates, less prone to cracking or wearing electrolytic dissolution. It will last longer/resist failure because of that, but will have fewer, thinner plates and thus fewer cranking amps because of reduced total plate surface area.

The MT will nominally outperform it, but have an average shorter service life because of thinner plates. It's all the same physics and you can't change laws - choose rugged or choose high performance, but not both in the same package given total volume.

That said, I had an Interstate MT Group 93 battery (almost identical to the 49 in size/performance) in a car in Vermont for several years. It started fine down to -25F for four years (car was always outside/ or unheated garage). I moved to Seattle and it lasted five more years. Pretty impressive, I thought.

CCA isn't the end all be all unless there's a sufficient warranty to back it up. I'd look at Ah rating before CCA. As long as you're at Volvo specs, you're fine.

In CA, all we have are high-CCA batteries and from my experience with the old Kirkland batteries at Costco(all were 640CCA group 35 batteries), I was able to get 4-6 years of service from them. One of those has been replaced with a group 24F with 700CA. If that battery makes above the 3.5 year free replacement cycle, I'll be happy.

Like Donald mentioned, there's typically an inverse relationship between CCA and RC. Higher capacity of 100Ah vs 80Ah likely means the plates are of thicker lead, maybe with less plates. Higher CCA usually means more/thinner plates. The additional surface area is what get you more current capability. Typically a battery with thicker plate can handle deep discharges better than a thinner plate, so if you leave your lights on overnight a few times, the high CCA battery may be more damaged than the one with lower CCA.

Everything is a trade-off.

welcome2.gif

These cars are really easy on batteries.

I had the OE battery for 10-11 years in each of mine. I replaced them on age alone

The battery sits in the floor under the cargo area, away from engine heat, or even the worst of the Vermont cold, I used to live in Stowe, by the way, and leads a pretty easy life. Your car will have either a 140 or 160 Amp alternator, which is plenty of juice to keep it charged even if you short trip.

Your choice of an H8 is bigger than the OE H6. But because the cars were sold with Diesel engines in other markets, the hold down and battery tray will fit an H8.

Just make certain to hook up the vent when you get your battery installed. Either one will be fine. I would go with the cheaper, personally...

welcome2.gif

Last edited:
I've never seen a battery last any long or shorter period of time when it has had thicker (less CCA) or thinner plates (more CCA). I have seen batteries last longer in terms of being able to start the vehicle with more CCA's because it looses it's potential over time.

Batteries IMO are either 3,5,7,10 year depending on a number of factors. It would be hard to say that the thicker versus thinner plates made a difference at all.

Theoretically thicker plates would make sense but I'm not sure that really translates well because all the other factors contributing to it's life / demise as well.

Last edited:
Please also consider the vendor has the one he wants to sell you in stock, vs the one you think you want to buy.

I go cheap on my batteries-- consider them a wear item. I live in suburbia, always near a jump start.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Please also consider the vendor has the one he wants to sell you in stock, vs the one you think you want to buy.

I go cheap on my batteries-- consider them a wear item. I live in suburbia, always near a jump start.

I usually go cheap also. But this time I went for a Deka made AGM. We will see how long it lasts.

One consideration for me is the Subaru has on 2 or 3 ocassions come up with a dead battery in the morning for unknown reasons. I think leaving the key in the ignition in OFF position might have been part of the issue.

Originally Posted by eljefino

Always check mfg date.

Originally Posted by edwardh1
who makes interstate?

They've always bought from Johnson Controls as long as I can remember. Probably their biggest customer now that Sears is struggling. But someone mentioned they now buy from Exide too.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I've never seen a battery last any long or shorter period of time when it has had thicker (less CCA) or thinner plates (more CCA). I have seen batteries last longer in terms of being able to start the vehicle with more CCA's because it looses it's potential over time.

Batteries IMO are either 3,5,7,10 year depending on a number of factors. It would be hard to say that the thicker versus thinner plates made a difference at all.

Theoretically thicker plates would make sense but I'm not sure that really translates well because all the other factors contributing to it's life / demise as well.

I thought the biggest issue is loss of water.

Still - I thought that thinner plates are more likely to fail over thousands of recharge cycles - especially if it's a hot climate. It's the lead and lead dioxide turning into lead sulfate, where charging reverses this. I thought that thicker plates generally mean a higher average number of cycles before failure.

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
In my humble opinion I would go with the 100 ah battery. Over the years I have found the bigger the better, the heavier the battery and the more Reserve minutes the battery has, the longer it lasts.

I can echo this.

I don't care about "maximum CCA" ............ near as much as I care about what kind of amp/hours that baby is capable of putting out.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
In my humble opinion I would go with the 100 ah battery. Over the years I have found the bigger the better, the heavier the battery and the more Reserve minutes the battery has, the longer it lasts.

I can echo this.

I don't care about "maximum CCA" ............ near as much as I care about what kind of amp/hours that baby is capable of putting out.

^^^^^

True I believe as well.

One thing of note given this thin plate discussion... The AGM made by Northstar claims it actually used thin plates..... It is likely not thick or thin plates that ultimately matters.... It is the purity of the lead used, the design of the battery internals, and the ability to maintain the battery nearest one hundred percent state of charge..

A group 24f Northstar weighs 56 pounds with "thin" plates... A group 24f JC battery weighs 44 pounds... That JC battery has 750 CCA and 120 minutes of reserve capacity... I'd bet dollars to donuts the Northstar with thin plates will easily outlast the JC gold battery given both are maintained the exact same way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by edwardh1
who makes interstate?

They've always bought from Johnson Controls as long as I can remember. Probably their biggest customer now that Sears is struggling. But someone mentioned they now buy from Exide too.

Interstate has long term agreements with JCI. Not like Walmart who will change suppliers to save $0.01.

I am unsure if some Interstate batteries are made by Exide, Seems unlikely however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back