Any analysis on the Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you may be aware, just last year, GM changed their recommendation for Corvette & Camaro engine oil to the relatively new Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2 Not to be confused with the European formula, see image below. This Mobil1 OW40 Dexos 2 oil (Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40) is also the recommended oil for all C7 Corvettes prior to 2019.

This oil has been claimed to have many benefits including exceptional fast oil flow at startup along with low temperature pump-ability and exceptional viscosity/performance characteristics at high-temperature and high-RPM operating conditions. But how is it holding up over time? Can anyone point me to oil analysis from Camaro or Corvette guys?

Thanks in advance!

[Linked Image]

I don't think OP was asking for opinions. Why would anyone care about opinions?

Is it even available yet?

Originally Posted by BobsArmory
Originally Posted by PPWarrior
You are in anti-Mobil forums-- don't expect unbiased opinions here.

Fake news
I'm with you-this is a SOPUS shill or a bot trolling here, there's been no overt XOM bias that I've seen.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Looks Ok to me, though there is no comparison.
However, I am still baffled by the fact that this oil has HTHS of 3.53, while previous version of Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 had 3.58.

That confused me too, and the 5w30 ESP Formula has better specs overall compared to the 0w40 ESP Formula (0.6% SA compared to 0.8%, a higher flashpoint, and we've also heard that the 5w30s NOACK could be as low as 5.6%)

I still have 3 oil changes worth of 5w30 ESP Formula in my stash and Canadian Tire still has this oil on clearance (but people still haven't been buying it, I keep checking the stock online at all the stores near me) I will keep travelling to different stores to stock up.

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by edyvw

Looks Ok to me, though there is no comparison.
However, I am still baffled by the fact that this oil has HTHS of 3.53, while previous version of Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 had 3.58.

That confused me too, and the 5w30 ESP Formula has better specs overall compared to the 0w40 ESP Formula (0.6% SA compared to 0.8%, a higher flashpoint, and we've also heard that the 5w30s NOACK could be as low as 5.6%)

I still have 3 oil changes worth of 5w30 ESP Formula in my stash and Canadian Tire still has this oil on clearance (but people still haven't been buying it, I keep checking the stock online at all the stores near me) I will keep travelling to different stores to stock up.

But Mobil1 "watered" down new ESP 5W30 too. I seriously do not understand why? It is not like going from 3.58cp to 3.5 in new ESP 5W30 will have any impact on mpg. So, I really do not get it unless this GTL is really not on par with previous VISOM base.

I wouldn't assume it's watered down just by product data sheet numbers.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Agree ...
Likely GM asked for this HTHS ...

Right, and there have been several GM engineers, some from Corvette Racing, that have said how much they have tested Mobil 1 on track and street.

Originally Posted by fnbrowning

Gosh, only one UOA found, and it's back in October. I'm hoping to see more analysis when the Spring oil changes start for the performance car enthusiasts.
Thanks for posting, Patman.

Not too many people on the Corvette Forum do UOAs but I'll be sure to pass along any that I do see posted on there. This oil has been very difficult for a lot of people to find, a lot of dealers didn't get it in stock for a while, and some were even mistakenly offering people the European Car Formula 0w40 by mistake!!

So between the 0w40 esp and the 5w30 esp wouldn't the 0w40 flow better in the cold vs the 5w30. I don't have a Corvette but I do have a 18 Silverado with the 6.2 l that is very similar to the Corvette motor. I do tow frequently with my truck in the winter to upstate NY and it gets pretty cold. Last trip up low temps were between -10 and -20 f. Which of the two oils would suit me better? Both have good hths for the towing, but I wasn't sure how cold it would have to get for the 0w40 to flow better then the 5w30 . You'd think the 0w40 probably has more vi improves and my not be quite as good as the 5w30 in general? Thanks

Last edited:
In the extreme cold the 0w40 would flow better than the 5w30 but in more moderate temps (even in the winter) they'll both flow pretty much the same. I think it would need to get down well below 0F before you'd see the advantage of a 0w over a 5w oil.

I know this isn't scientific by any means, but I have been running 0w20 in my Honda for many years but this year I'm running 5w20 and even the other day when it was -20C outside, the engine fired up just as easily as it always did with 0w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back