Getting Our Kicks On Route 66

Status
Not open for further replies.
Route 66 has always held a special place in my heart and I try to get out on it as much as I can. It was decommissioned before I really began traveling in the world (1985), but I have been to quite a few of the popular places on it. In the near future, I plan to make the full run from Chicago to L.A. (more than 2000 miles all the way), but not in the Powerstroke--probably a late model Dodge Challenger Shaker. A few photos from our latest run the past weekend (enjoy):

The Big Texan Steakhouse in Amarillo, Texas:

[Linked Image]

Ummm...no, I did not go for the ol' 72 ouncer (though a 125 pound lady ate 3 (yes, 3) of them it in less than 20 minutes:

[Linked Image]

The Cadillac Ranch outside Amarillo, Texas:

[Linked Image]

The midpoint of Route 66 outside the Midpoint Cafe in Adrian, Texas (cafe was closed both times we passed--bad timing):

[Linked Image]

The "ROOT66" Powerstroke at the Shamrock Conoco Tower in Shamrock, Texas. The cafe part was in the movie "Cars" (Ramone's Paint Shop):

[Linked Image]

The Route 66 Diner in Albuquerque, New Mexico (my wife hamming it up):

[Linked Image]

1966 Nash Metropolitan:

Growing up, there were 3 or 4 of these at an old house across town and I always wanted to go buy them from the owner (they all had weeds growing around them and likely did not run), but by the time i was old enough to drive, the house and the cars were gone. This one was not on Route 66, but on 287 in Quanah, Texas. When I saw it, I just had to stop and snap a few pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I live three blocks from Rt 66 in Mitchell, il. Also had steak at the Big Texan.

Last edited:
Did you go through seligman or oatman? Seligman is the town that the movie cars was based on. I got married in oatman. Our nearest city is Victorville California and it's 7th Street is old 66.

CAM00043.jpg

CAM00045.jpg

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
1966 Nash Metropolitan:
That would be 1956.
smile.gif

Here's a 1954 British Pathé newsreel of Metropolitans being built on an Austin assembly line.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
1966 Nash Metropolitan:
That would be 1956.
Yep; big fingers and 66 on my mind got me. The Metropolitan's in the yard so many years ago were likely 1954 models.

Holbrook, Arizona
Joe&Aggie's Cafe, a living, working relic of Route 66. There were Route 66 museums across the street with artifacts, but don't know if they still operate. The cafe sure does. Great food. Nostalgia all over the seating area, most still functional.

The steaks there are pretty good....that 72 ouncer is basically a roast. At some point near Weatherford Oklahoma and then west on I-40, those side roads are the actual original Route 66 roads.

That looks like a great ride, on my bucket list as well. Im always dying to just get a small RV and disappear for a few months, maybe closer to retirement.

Did '66 in 1969. Hit The Big Texan and caught a Bill Anderson concert .
The place I was really looking forward to was Abilene until I arrived and it was a dry town (in 1969 I needed a drink) so I had to go to Imact TX.
Thanks for the pics.
I hope Chris adds his wedding photo of him standing on the dynamite ( so he could see eye-to-eye with the Missus)
56.gif

"It's A Girl My Lord, In A Flatbed(Should have used Flathead) Ford, Slowing Down To Take A Look At Me." I grew up one block off of east US-66 and saw a lot of the "Grapes of Wrath" Okies headed to California from window of an Albuquerque Bus Co bus serving East Central Ave. Wish I had had the prescience to understand what I was seeing five days a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back