THIS close to getting a VDB today at TPA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always looking for ways to make easy money, and as some know the airlines are a GREAT source of it, if you're a flexible traveler.

My TPA-JFK flight today was oversold by as many as 10 I was told, so I jumped up to the podium to volunteer. Bid $600 and a lounge pass to take the 6:30 direct to MSP vs. the noon TPA-JFK-MSP, so hardly a big deal and it got me in only 2 hours later than scheduled.

As it happened, they figured it out. But boy would that cash and free booze have been sweet!

Originally Posted by Imp4
So nothing actually happened?!?

Unfortunately, no. Very boring and uneventful flights.

Nothing like the Frontier flight I took on the way down where the Tito's was flowing like water, gratis. That's an entirely different story!

SIL made $650 today on the PHL-RIC AM flight.

Alas, I made my PHL-ALB flight after being delayed due to fuel tank pressurization issues.

I would have liked to make a $650 voucher...

I remember the first time I voluntarily bumped myself in exchange for a first class seat, albeit on a 40 minute flight. Boy was it great!

Originally Posted by 14Accent
I'm always looking for ways to make easy money, and as some know the airlines are a GREAT source of it, if you're a flexible traveler.

My TPA-JFK flight today was oversold by as many as 10 I was told, so I jumped up to the podium to volunteer. Bid $600 and a lounge pass to take the 6:30 direct to MSP vs. the noon TPA-JFK-MSP, so hardly a big deal and it got me in only 2 hours later than scheduled.

As it happened, they figured it out. But boy would that cash and free booze have been sweet!

Typically its a travel voucher not cash. I have volunteered years ago and they took my ticket to hold, and after everyone had boarded and they determined they did not need need me after all, they assigned me a new and very crappy seat and when I boarded the plane, all the overhead storage was taken. I got nothing for volunteering.

The only thing I have now from all my business flying is an American Airlines Gold card for life.

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by 14Accent

Typically its a travel voucher not cash. I have volunteered years ago and they took my ticket to hold, and after everyone had boarded and they determined they did not need need me after all, they assigned me a new and very crappy seat and when I boarded the plane, all the overhead storage was taken. I got nothing for volunteering.

The only thing I have now from all my business flying is an American Airlines Gold card for life.

I made sure my seat was held, and specifically asked for the money on a Visa gift card. Not that I couldn't use the voucher, but cash is king. I picked my seat well in advance and wanted to make sure I didn't lose it. I was being helped by a Delta Red Coat, and they're known for paying attention to these kinds of details. All in all it worked out fine, my flight into JFK was 10 minutes early and we departed from the exact same gate we arrived into. Same aircraft, just a different crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back