Vibration feeling after new tires installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On 12/31 I purchased Continental True Contact Tour 91H tires for my 2017 Elantra SE. They were great until I got onto the interstate. It felt like the wheels were bouncing over 60 mph, but I felt no vibration in the steering wheel. It is hard to explain. I hear a sound that was not there before getting the tires. A busy sound. My first highway trip over 70 it seemed like it got better at higher speeds and was smoother. I just wrote to Continental and will call shop the that installed them tomorrow. Knowledge is power and I thank you in advance for helping me.

Do you feel a vibration in the seats/floor? If so, it could be out-of-balance rear tires. May also be out-of-round tires thumping along down the highway.

Hopefully, the shop is able to sort everything out for you
smile.gif

Originally Posted by rsylvstr
Agreed. Rebalance.
I return to most shops half of the time for that.

Sad people are so sloppy.

Timing is everything. It was new years eve and the shop was busy. I saved $70 that was expiring the next day. Was not ideal conditions for the installer.

Originally Posted by mclasser
Do you feel a vibration in the seats/floor? If so, it could be out-of-balance rear tires. May also be out-of-round tires thumping along down the highway.

Hopefully, the shop is able to sort everything out for you
smile.gif

I just feels like the whole car is vibrating. Thumping is a better way to describe it. Like something is going up and down.

Pull every wheel weight off both sides of each wheel before the rebalance. That way they HAVE to rebalance.

A friend had a set of some other Contintental model... forget exactly which one... they were kind of square. He never got that resolved and eventually just replaced them on his own dime. He wasn't going to give Conti another chance. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him the RT43's he just bought were made by Continental. They have worked out great, though. It just goes to show, one company can have winners, and losers.

Originally Posted by Bluestream
Did you have the rotors off? I have seen liberal application of anti-seize between the hub and the rotor cause this.

No. Car is at 16k. I was doing all my rotations. Brakes look new and had no vibration with OEM NPriz AH8 tires. Problem only started with new tires.

I will see how the shop deals with it. I remember getting Goodyear TripleTreds that had much worse vibration. All they did was re-balance them 3 times with no change. One of the owners called me and had them put on Michelins. Problem solved. This is the same shop.

These tires come with a 60 day customer satisfaction trial. I will see how it goes after I get car into the tire shop, hopefully tomorrow.

Monkeyman, I feel your pain. I go and get tires put on and usually have this issue. I just plain old don't think the installers care or are paid enough to do a good job.

Only... ONLY time I had great success with new tires is when I bought brand new Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires and had them mounted/balanced by the dealer. Brought loose rims and tires. Perhaps Michelin had better QC at that time and the dealer didn't mind that day.

Re balance for sure and if the car still stinks on the highway, try another store. If it is then corrected, I'd head into shop #1 with my invoice and get them to pay it.

redhat, I have a feeling it is the tires, not the shop or installer. On the Continental website there are reports of a similar issue. I would like to stay with the shop next to my house. It is a local family owned chain with 40 shops. I used one of their other shops and it was not as good. I know if they can't fix it I can get different Continental tires with customer satisfaction trial. I also know customer service goes to the original owner's of Dobbs which I found very responsive in the past.

Originally Posted by dbias
My money is on the tires being out of round.

This. I've seen it quite a few times with new tires, from all brands. While I like buying tires online, it can become a huge pain when this happens.

Originally Posted by dbias
My money is on the tires being out of round.

Well I think you lost your money. Took it in this morning for re-balancing. All weights were 1/2 ounce out. Seems to have smoothed things out in a good way. Moral of the story is to go in morning before they are busy instead of at the end of the day on a Holiday.

I've experienced poor balancing jobs before. Not fun.

Glad to hear you're riding smooth again
cheers3.gif

Balancing tires is an art. I once has problem with a GY and a new set of Wrangler tires. 2x they tried to balance and they shook at 60 mph. When I went back to complain the owner decided to balance the tires and they came out perfect. The run of the mill tire tech was just sloppy, could care less if he done it right.

Originally Posted by mclasser
I've experienced poor balancing jobs before. Not fun.

Glad to hear you're riding smooth again
cheers3.gif

One reason I rotated my tires for a while. Just rotated with no balancing. Smooth ride. Go to shop and you are at the mercy of who is working that day.

Thanks to everyone. It is nice to have a smooth riding car again.

Get a road force balance.

I brought in a car for a bad vibration, thought it was balance issue. They balanced it and sent me on my way only for me to loop right back as the vibration was still there.

Standing in front of the car spinning the wheel by hand you easily saw the tire had gotten damaged and no balancing would fix it. A road force balance would have thrown that issue up right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back