Is Ford moving away from their 'Specialty Orange' (Dexclone) coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I know that Ford has come out with a new coolant which I believe is gold. Are they giving up on their Orange coolant which contains 2-EHA or is the gold only for certain models with the orange still being installed in most Fords?

Yes, they are slowly changing to the new yellow coolant. They have not confirmed if you can convert orange to yellow yet, so it is now a 5th Motorcraft coolant for us to stock.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Yes, they are slowly changing to the new yellow coolant. They have not confirmed if you can convert orange to yellow yet, so it is now a 5th Motorcraft coolant for us to stock.

Did they have any problems with the 'Specialty Orange'?

PS: I remember having that beer at Houston Airport....and I still have that hat.....Hope all is well.

Originally Posted by Donald
Ford orange was good for some years of the PSD. What do the new PSD use?

Prior to 7/9/18, orange. from 7/9/18, yellow.

And no problems directly with the orange, if there were it would be way above my pay grade.

Any my ah Ford dealer flushed out the original gold coolant and refilled it with green coolant on a truck I used to have.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
More importantly, can you just flush it out and put in the traditional cheaper green stuff?

I did that in my F150, just change it every 2-3 years. I at least use good Prestone brand "green stuff'

I asked the original question (OP) because I'm getting close to changing the OE 'Specialty Orange' in my 2014 Focus and eventually in my 2016 Escape. I'll probably do a total flush with distilled water and use PGL or maybe the Pentosin A2 (P-HOAT) that I got on clearance at AZ.
I originally planned on using Dexcool but the fact that Ford is abandoning the Orange coolant is suspicious.....

Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by bdcardinal

It looks like coolant sludge in the Transit heater cores.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/TSB/18-2172.pdf

Ed

[/quote]

It looks like coolant sludge in the Transit heater cores.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/TSB/18-2172.pdf

Ed[/quote]

It's strange that they recommend Prestone coolant in that Motorcraft bulletin.....especially since i"m pretty sure the Prestone Corguard contains 2-EHA...

FWIW, it appears the new Motorcraft Yellow coolant has a substantially longer serviceable life, compared to the orange.

According to Ford, the Orange coolant has a service life of 100,000 miles initially, and then 50,000 miles thereafter, but the new Yellow has an initial service life of 200,000 miles, and then 100,000 miles thereafter.

Also, FWIW - it appears the new yellow is another type of hybrid coolant, kind of like the MC Gold (G-05) was, only a more modern formulation.

Link

From my sleuthing, it looks like Prestone sold Ford on a pHOAT formula - their new Cor-Guard formula which is an 2-EHA product. Ford is advising in a TSB for the Transit with no heat issues to switch over to Cor-Guard. If look hard enough, there's a presentation made at a Prestone sales meeting and a USPTO application that lists Cor-Guard's inhibitor package which is 2-EHA, a phosphate, triazole and certain fatty acids to help protect solder.

Ford's current orange fill is Dex-Cool.

Last edited:
I had my 2018 F150 switched to the new yellow three weeks ago. I did not want the heater core issue, especially if it might not present a problemuntil after warranty. I will likely have my other vehicle (2014 Edge) switched over in a couple years when it is due to change.

….It's strange that they recommend Prestone coolant in that Motorcraft bulletin.....especially since i"m pretty sure the Prestone Corguard contains 2-EHA...
That seems strange to me too. However, since it's appears now they've added P/phosphate (based on PQIA), in my observation seems like for some that gets the new Prestone off the schnide as a Dexclone. All indications are Prestone still uses 2eha as inhibitor. I'll give them this though, looks like they are marketing the [censored] out of it to push sales. At least for Transits with heater core issues, for whatever reason(s) appears they even sold FoMoCo on its use.

Something else I didn't know until just now, Prestone and Holts along with Fram were part of the Rank Grp acquisition from Honeywell. Appears Rank sold both Prestone and Holts in 2016 to an outfit called KIK Custom Products, KIK Corp which started as a bleach company. https://www.kikcorp.com/about-kik/ . That may also explain the newish marketing push for Prestone. Likely also explains why I no longer see the Fram rep that frequents this forum hawking Prestone AF here as he did in the past.

As for the using term PHoat for Prestone CoreGuard now, while it may contain P now, no true Asian Phoat AF uses 2eha as inhibitor. Same as new Prestone jugs advertised for Toyota and Honda both of which use 2eha are not true Asian Phoats. For that reason, I wouldn't use either for Asian applications or anything for that matter.

To the question, no idea if FoMoCo will now convert all current and previous Orange Dex AF to the newer yellow. Looks like currently only the 'truck' applications have made that move, not the PC applications. 'If' FoMoCo/MC pattern follows they won't back spec anything. But what FoMoCo does going forward, until they do it, seems like only speculation at this point. Personally I'm not entirely convinced this not more a heater core, cooling system design issue with the trucks, than an AF issue.

As noted on another thread, I thought Ford had decided on one AF. Instead looks like they have themselves another AF to spec and sell, just what they need.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by Sayjac

Something else I didn't know until just now, Prestone and Holts along with Fram were part of the Rank Grp acquisition from Honeywell. Appears Rank sold both Prestone and Holts in 2016 to an outfit called KIK Custom Products, KIK Corp which started as a bleach company. https://www.kikcorp.com/about-kik/ . That may also explain the newish marketing push for Prestone. Likely also explains why I no longer see the Fram rep that frequents this forum hawking Prestone AF here as he did in the past.

As for the using term PHoat for Prestone CoreGuard now, while it may contain P now, no true Asian Phoat AF uses 2eha as inhibitor. Same as new Prestone jugs advertised for Toyota and Honda both of which use 2eha are not true Asian Phoats. For that reason, I wouldn't use either for Asian applications or anything for that matter.

KIK is a multi-faceted consumer goods company - they make cosmetics for P&G and Unilever(under contract) but bleach is a commodity good, and so is antifreeze.

Prestone/KIK is pushing Cor-Guard with Toyota and Subaru's US operations as service fill, or they'll provide the CCI product on a bulk basis to their plants. Or so they say in a marketing pow-wow. Toyota does have a "loose" definition of a suitable coolant if pink SLLC/Zerex Asian Vehicle/CCI GC Pink isn't available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back