Can someone do a UOA on AmazonBasics oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rate of shear? That would be highly application-dependent, if it happened at all.

The other problem is that very few of the UOAs on here can distinguish actual mechanical shear from fuel dilution. Even if they can the viscosity result may still be skewed due to fuel. Are you asking for an automobile application or for a motorcycle gear sump?

I posted a thread on here a few days ago about the Amazonbasics 5W30 synth sharing a dexos1 Gen 2 license # with a great many other oils...this is a pretty strong indicator that these oils have similar base stocks and additives.
MAG1, Warren's house brand, was probably the most notable in that group of oils. EDIT - Supertech 5W30 synth was also in the group!
I'm not sure which grade you are interested in, but you could search for oils that match the Amazonbasics dexos license # for that grade and see if there are any recent UOAs for those.

https://www.gmdexos.com/owner/brands/index.html

BTW, this is assuming you are interested in synthetic oil...conventional would not show up in that list, AFAIK.

Last edited:
Blended by Warren Distribution who also blends for Mag 1, Accel, and Supertech. While I'm sure there are some differences in the blends, I'd be willing to bet it is of similar quality as those before mentioned brands that generally return good UOA's.

Originally Posted by RISUPERCREWMAN
Amazon Basics is the same as Walmart's Supertech Dino oil . Same oil company .

From what I understand, Walmart uses different suppliers in different parts of the country. Then again, doesnt matter, they are all SN oils.:eek:)

Originally Posted by RISUPERCREWMAN
Amazon Basics is the same as Walmart's Supertech Dino oil . Same oil company .

Not entirely a true statement. There is a whole range of oil, including full synthetic.

Note - These oils are rated SN-Plus

I could be wrong, but if it shares a Dexos license it would be exactly the same oil. I don't think there's any wiggle room in that license when they do the approval for spec adjustments, or if there is, very little. Certainly not base oil type or the like.

I have the 0w20 in both vehicles I maintain, and so far the engines are still running normally. I'm assuming they are fine. It's Amazon, they don't need lawsuits with their name on the product failing.

Originally Posted by ThunderOne
Couldn't find any that have been done yet.. I searched.

http://pqiamerica.com/PCMO_Sample_Summary_12_15_2016.html

Two Amazon oils are on here but would like to see rate of shear during use.

I have two full spec sheets from Warren Distributing, they make Amazon Basics, and I believe MACTFORDEDGE on YouTube completed VOA and UOA on his Ford Edge. Warren Dist changed the formulation recently for SN+, but won't share their spec sheets for SN, even though it was only six months ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back