OEM Cap & Rotor when changing spark plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason why I'm asking if I should use OEM parts when I change my spark plug (and the cap & rotor along with it), is that my local Honda place wants $80 for the cap and rotor; Autozone has a kit with everything for only $53: https://www.autozone.com/ignition/p...r-kit/msd-ignition-rotor/839185_511819_0

I am ok with going OEM, but I'm just wondering if it is worth the extra 30 bucks. FWIW, I"m going to be installing iridium NGK plugs, so I don't plan on changing the plugs anytime soon after this.

Honda's can be finicky about ignition components. That's why I used OEM when I did my Accord's cap & rotor. Spend the extra $30 and be set for the next 202k miles.

Also, don't forget about the plug wires when doing a tune up.

That link you provided looks to be for a performance setup which could have problems with your standard coil and standard wires. I also don't like using after market brands for things like ignition components such as cap/rotar/wires.
I agree with mclasser they can be picky and it's worth the $30 extra.

I've also seen some aftermarket caps suffer from damp conditions where the engine will chuck because it's leaking spark.

Last edited:
Agree do not use ignition parts with aluminum. Brass rules here. I made that mistake when doing tune ups back when I was a young kid and owned a E200 with a 302 engine. That aluminum distributor cap was junk!

I have no idea about OEM or the other part. Sorry.

The Japanese have been using aluminum contacts as OEM but between the OEM Denso parts and aftermarket(from a Japanese company), OEM is made nicer and heavier.

i listened to you guys, and went ahead and bought OEM. I want them before Friday, so I went to the local Honda dealer, and bought them. I was expecting to pay the $30 premium, but I brought the online seller printout with OEM numbers for refeence, and when I asked if there was a pay $100 for parts, get $10 off or something like that (I would have splurged on Honda filters to bring the total up to 100), he said no, but he'd help me out on the price, so he gave me a partial price match. It came out to 73 including tax, which amounts to about $7 more than hondapartsnow site, when shipping was included, so I'm good.

From now on, I'll bring a printout from hondapartsnow if the parts cost more than 50 or so. I've never done price match before--if online is cheaper I have just bought online, but I think I'll remember to take this printout over to my dealer next time I need to go there.

Originally Posted by mclasser
Honda's can be finicky about ignition components. That's why I used OEM when I did my Accord's cap & rotor. Spend the extra $30 and be set for the next 202k miles.

Also, don't forget about the plug wires when doing a tune up.

Yep.

And...I would only use the stock plugs that came with the car. I wouldn't use iridium.
Originally Posted by paulri
i listened to you guys, and went ahead and bought OEM. I want them before Friday, so I went to the local Honda dealer, and bought them. I was expecting to pay the $30 premium, but I brought the online seller printout with OEM numbers for refeence, and when I asked if there was a pay $100 for parts, get $10 off or something like that (I would have splurged on Honda filters to bring the total up to 100), he said no, but he'd help me out on the price, so he gave me a partial price match. It came out to 73 including tax, which amounts to about $7 more than hondapartsnow site, when shipping was included, so I'm good.

From now on, I'll bring a printout from hondapartsnow if the parts cost more than 50 or so. I've never done price match before--if online is cheaper I have just bought online, but I think I'll remember to take this printout over to my dealer next time I need to go there.

Awesome!

After you freshen your ignition's secondary hardware I hope you experience an improvement in performance of biblical proportion.

I secretly replaced cap, rotor, plugs and wires on my sister's 4.0l Jeep (Cherokee) and the difference was dramatic.

If your '98 Civic is automatic I suggest at least one drain & fill using Honda's new DW-1 fluid.

Good call on plugs and parts. As noted, may want to consider wires too. Stick with the NGK Iridium plugs, they'll give you longer service than OE. Plug tech much improved since 1998.

Yeah I went through the OEM vs. iridium question a few weeks ago, and ended up deciding to use antiseize and iridium (still NGK brand though).

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Good call on plugs and parts. As noted, may want to consider wires too. Stick with the NGK Iridium plugs, they'll give you longer service than OE. Plug tech much improved since 1998.

Kira believe it or not that will be my next maintenance item--yah its the 4 speed automatic, I've never done it, but my mechanic did it about 30-40K ago, so it is time. I'll probably start a thread or two then, but you would recommend that Dw-1? OK...

Originally Posted by Kira
After you freshen your ignition's secondary hardware I hope you experience an improvement in performance of biblical proportion.

I secretly replaced cap, rotor, plugs and wires on my sister's 4.0l Jeep (Cherokee) and the difference was dramatic.

If your '98 Civic is automatic I suggest at least one drain & fill using Honda's new DW-1 fluid.

Originally Posted by paulri
Kira believe it or not that will be my next maintenance item--yah its the 4 speed automatic, I've never done it, but my mechanic did it about 30-40K ago, so it is time. I'll probably start a thread or two then, but you would recommend that Dw-1? OK...

Originally Posted by Kira

DW-1 is good. I like the Idemitsu equivalent better.

Back in the '80s I knew a Honda mechanic.
He said when a car came in no-start the first thing they always did was look for aftermarket cap and rotor.
That cured half of them. The other half I guess were fuel pump relays.

Re trannie fluid: I learned here that Honda's new stuff (DW-1) is much improved while the oft maligned old Honda fluid was lacking.
Darn near everyone here says to use Honda Coolant and transmission fluid without question.
The Idemitsu fluids might be excellent or even superior, I do not know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back