Bag-in-a-box motor oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tire shop I worked with recently made the switch from the regular bulk 5w20, 5w30, and 15w40 oil containers to the Shell Ecobox oil dispensing system, with positive results. Having said that, I was wondering how practical, energy-efficient, and manageable bag-in-a-box engine oils have become, regardless of brand? Especially when working in a small shop.

Since its lighter, hopefully the shops will shake the box or the first 2 fills will be all additives
grin2.gif

What is the noack,kv100 & hths of additives? I forgot
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
A) I wonder if their bulk tank was closing in on replacement time? They sprout holes in the bottom, just like home heating oil tanks, no?

B) Having several oil types available is one positive result. Though I'd still be distrusting of any grease monkey grabbing the correct oil for my modern car.

The local WM now sells Havoline's 6 quarts of oil in a box. The label says it uses 70% less plastic.
However, if I still shop around, I can get some entry-level oils for a cheaper price per quart.

Originally Posted by ChemLabNL
What are the positive results?

Better oil variety, uses less space, and no leaky bulk oil pumps to mess with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kruse
The local WM now sells Havoline's 6 quarts of oil in a box. The label says it uses 70% less plastic.
However, if I still shop around, I can get some entry-level oils for a cheaper price per quart.

I have yet to see Boxed oil in either of my Walmart's.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

I've seen the Havoline. It's not in all the Walmart stores.

In my opinion, the savings on plastic is negated if you have to buy a plastic jug to recycle the used oil. Also you have to buy a pitcher or something to measure with if your vehicle holds less than the six quarts.

Originally Posted by PimTac

In my opinion, the savings on plastic is negated if you have to buy a plastic jug to recycle the used oil. Also you have to buy a pitcher or something to measure with if your vehicle holds less than the six quarts.

How is it negated? It's better to buy one bottle rather then buying a bottle each change.

Originally Posted by dave1251

How is it negated? It's better to buy one bottle rather then buying a bottle each change.

I'm stuck in the idea that my used oil goes back into the 5 qt jug the new oil came in. With the bag in the box setup, the used oil has to go into something. If I had one of those oil pans that holds the oil that would be an option. I don't though.

I'm not knocking the concept.

Originally Posted by jtr990

Got it..,.And I hope that you are more profitable as well.

Originally Posted by jtr990

Got it..,.And I hope that you are more profitable as well.

We'll try. Considering January was a very slow month when last December's credit card bill come rolling in. In addition to the positives, there is one negative. With the Ecobox Gravity System, even though the supplied pitchers allow oil to be poured directly into the filler hole without funnels, you need steady hands and nerves of steel to hold the pitcher and adjust the tap to pour it smoothly without causing a mess. That's why we didn't ditch the usual 5-liter flask and funnel when we set it up.

Last edited:
dave1251 said:
PimTac said:
JohnnyJohnson said:
Kruse said:
I'm stuck in the idea that my used oil goes back into the 5 qt jug the new oil came in. With the bag in the box setup, the used oil has to go into something. If I had one of those oil pans that holds the oil that would be an option. I don't though.

I'm not knocking the concept.

I dump my used oil in old rainx 1 gallon windshield washer fluid bottles I have laying around

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back