Gas trimmers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys! I want to buy a gas trimmer but I don't know which one. My yard is big, around 30ft*36ft and I want to get a trimmer because I don't like lawnmowers. simple as that. So, I was doing my research and on the weedeater hero site I saw Hitachi CG23ECPSL. I am not sure if you are familiar with that trimmer, but I was wondering if you know anything about the brand. Are they good, how durable and how strong? Thanks!

30x36 is 1080 sq ft. Despite your preferences. I would look into an electric mower. Quiet and easy to start. No fuel issues

Buy a Stihl,.Husky or other high quality units from an ope shop. I have a 325 Husky that weed wacked 3 acres for fire safety as well as 2 rentals and my 2400 sq ft lawn. The weed wacker is 19 years old and runs good. What ever you choose buy quality once and cry once.

Originally Posted by CT8
Buy a Stihl,.Husky or other high quality units from an ope shop. I have a 325 Husky that weed wacked 3 acres for fire safety as well as 2 rentals and my 2400 sq ft lawn. The weed wacker is 19 years old and runs good. What ever you choose buy quality once and cry once.

+1 on the Husky from an ope shop.

Originally Posted by weeksjake
Hi guys! I want to buy a gas trimmer but I don't know which one. My yard is big, around 30ft*36ft and I want to get a trimmer because I don't like lawnmowers. simple as that. So, I was doing my research and on the weedeater hero site I saw Hitachi CG23ECPSL. I am not sure if you are familiar with that trimmer, but I was wondering if you know anything about the brand. Are they good, how durable and how strong? Thanks!

Look at some of the quality cordless trimmers. I have a Milwaukee M18 and its great. Not an under powered trimmer at all.

If I can go from gas to cordless I am happy to. So I have cordless trimmer and hedge triimmer. Lawn mower is still gas.

STIHL or Echo if you can deal with the maintenance. I would only consider cordless if I had other tools to use the huge battery that comes with those high demand, ICE-replacing tools. Half the cost of the M18 Trimmer kit is the battery.

If you get a pro grade gas and can wrench, I have a feeling you will avoid 90% of the problems normies have with them.

The string in weedwackers does not cut cleanly, leaving brown frayed edges and promoting diseases.. Better to use a cordless blade type mower with sharp blade. That is a small yard by Midwest standards. You can mulch. Or get a push type reel mower

Rod

I bought an ECHO SRM-225 around 2000 used at parents 3 acre property. Used it 15 years. There was a 100 ft by 30ft embankment I needed to trim and it did just fine. It was light and with straight shaft easy to balance and use for hours.

Originally Posted by weeksjake
My yard is big, around 30ft*36ft

crackmeup2.gif

What's your aversion to mowers?

I'd say a cordless electric mower would be perfect.

I would say a used cheap B&S push mower for around 45 bucks. Plenty of youtube videos on how to fix the minor things you may have. IMO Stihl and Echo are the best for your money if you just want a weedwhacker, though. I've had my Stihl since 2003 and it went into the shop for a on/off switch issue under warranty.

Originally Posted by andyd
30x36 is 1080 sq ft. Despite your preferences. I would look into an electric mower. Quiet and easy to start. No fuel issues

I agree, or even a manual push mower. It's tough to make a lawn look nice with just a string trimmer.

Originally Posted by Linctex
I agree, or even a manual push mower. It's tough to make a lawn look nice with just a string trimmer.

It is, but you should see what a lot of the Thai grounds people do with those trimmers, it is downright amazing.

Your grass will never look great if the whole thing is cut with a weed whacker.

How about a cordless lawn mower. Perfect for a small lawn. Only maint it to sharpen the blade.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by CT8

+1 on the Husky from an ope shop.

+2 on the Husky.. starts like dream on the 1 acre cottage property... I have a Stihl at home on a city lot.. and its finiky,,,you have to handle it with white gloves to keep it going.. maybe needs a slight adjustment..
my 2c
J

Forget the idea of "mowing" your small lawn with a string trimmer. You won't like the results or the effort it will take to try and "mow" with it. Just purchase a small plug-in (corded) electric push lawnmower. A cheap 13" to 15" can be purchased for $100 or so, plus the cost of a cord.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Is there some confusion here? The OP is looking for a weed eater, not a lawn mower.
smile.gif

He wants to mow a very small lawn with a week whacker. Better to get a small mower. Maybe a push reel mower (no engine/motor).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back