Best propane fireplace insert?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a decent insert running off of a 250 outdoor propane tank (ventless). It produces decent heat, though the blower is loud, and there is a definite smell from running it that fills my house even after only a few minutes.

I am interested in reducing the smell, increasing efficiency if possible and keeping it usable in the event of a power outage.

(Mostly reducing the smell if even possible)

Thanks for any advice!

Can you describe the smell? Carbon monoxide though odorless, would be a huge concern. Propane has an added odorant as a warning that something is wrong. Smells similar to rotten eggs. I would cease using it immediately, turn off the gas and have it checked by a professional.

Last edited:
Do you have a CO detector? Even tho you cannot smell monoxide poor combustion will have an odor. I would never use an unvented gas heater. Im informed by 35 years in the gas industry.

+1 on the CO detector. I have a propane insert, and it does not create any smells, but I do not use it that often. Whatever you get, I would make sure it has a spark lighter, rather than relying on a match or lighter.

Where are you located ?

It might be nice to have this working properly if you need to use it in a winter emergency.

I have a pair of gas inserts (mine are NG but they are also available jetted for propane) from these guys in my house:

https://www.regency-fire.com/en/default.aspx

Pretty happy with them so far, they are direct vent units with a blower motor. The blower is a bit loud but every gas fireplace / insert I have owned has always been noisy. It is nothing that drowns out normal conversation it is just louder than I would like. In event of a power failure the insert will still light but, of course, the blower won't run, you have to rely strictly on radiant heat at that point. Decent remote control unit, fully adjustable flame height, blower speed, feedback control (on, off and smart) etc. Lots of options for the firebox, glass beads, rocks, logs, surrounds etc. that kind of trinket stuff. There should never be any odour with a correctly installed unit so you should look into that with your existing unit. The only odour from mine were when they were brand new the paint bakes a bit and this is normal and fully discussed in the owner's manual / FAQs. There is no odour at all now. Your signature doesn't say what state you are in so I am not sure if a dealer is nearby.

Thanks for the replies, I do have a newer CO detector. The smell is not rotten eggs like raw gas, it smells more like a burning smell if that makes sense, similar to the dusty burning smell from electronic heaters when turning them on for the first time out of storage.

My CO detector was new last year, and reads double zeros no matter how long I run the insert.

Do inserts usually have "air valves" like grills do to adjust how much air is mixed with the propane? I wonder if there is some adjustment to create a cleaner burn... Currently the logs have solid blue flame for about 2 inches up which then turns to or orange flame for about 5 inches above that if that matters?

Thank you

I'm sure that you know this but make sure the logs are in the correct position and not touching the flame, can cause that smell.

I will guess the burning smell is happening because either the stove is still somewhat new or hasn't been fired up much or it has sat for a while and the dust is being burned off.

Does the manual give you a burn rate per hour? I used to have a Vermont Castings gas stove that was set to burn propane. It would go through a 300 gallon tank in a month. We stopped using it except for power outages and rare occasions.

Originally Posted by gotnogunk
I'm sure that you know this but make sure the logs are in the correct position and not touching the flame, can cause that smell.

I don't think they are, but I'll double check.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I will guess the burning smell is happening because either the stove is still somewhat new or hasn't been fired up much or it has sat for a while and the dust is being burned off.

Does the manual give you a burn rate per hour? I used to have a Vermont Castings gas stove that was set to burn propane. It would go through a 300 gallon tank in a month. We stopped using it except for power outages and rare occasions.

Yikes, I hope it doesn't go through it that fast. We just hit negative 9 in the midwest, so I have been using it in addition to a heat pump since they cant keep up when it gets too cold. Usually I just keep it topped off for power outages, so it may just be dust like you said.

Follow up to my previous post; Most ventless gas heaters use a low oxygen sensor which is basicly a poor pilot flame. As the oxygen level drops the pilot flame weakens and will hopefully become too weak to keep the thermocouple hot enough to generate enough dc voltage to keep the control safety magnet in the open position. So why would anyone want to be in an inviroment such as this. If you read the installation instructions these devises are not allowed in a bedroom or bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back