how to keep your vehicle battery...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Char Baby
This is from Scotty Kilmer.

Thank you for the advance warning..... I cant.
I just can't.

This Forum hates Scotty. You will not get good, actually down-to-earth answer when you mention Scotty. I mean, he has fixed more cars than your normal BITOG pensioner poster.

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
This Forum hates Scotty. You will not get good, actually down-to-earth answer when you mention Scotty. I mean, he has fixed more cars than your normal BITOG pensioner poster.

Yeah, but he says such wacky stuff.
Maybe it's not actually wacky, maybe it's Scotty's delivery that's wacky?!?

And the fact that everything around him in his videos is a pig sty.

If he doesn't realize that that reflects on him, then what else is he ignorant of?!?

A bigger footprint battery is almost always a good idea if there is space. But in many cars it's not possible. The car manufacturers jam a lot under the hood these days.

Scotty lost me when he put a Compression Union on a brake line. Haven't watched a video of his since.

Maybe he does know tons more than me about cars. So does my mechanic. Anyway, in the few videos I did watch, his primary audience seems to be the clueless. Plus he's annoying.

^^^^^^^^^

Overall true Donald.

One thing to check on though... An example would be my car... Previous generation called for a group 24f battery. Then my generation calls for a smaller group 35... And yet the group 24f still fits. And I have heard the Honda's call for a 51r but yet a group 35 actually fits as well. Check bci numbers and sizes could show where one could get a bigger battery in a vehicle.

Last edited:
I find Scotty a great waste of time. He doesn't think like I do, but he doesn't think like a total moron, so it's a nice perspective.

...as long as the battery itself can last. Also, listen to the reason for using a Larger battery than what the vehicle came with. This is from Scotty Kilmer. Scotty is sounding a bit tipsy these days but he still has good advise...for most things!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpag_Rf3aBE

Giving all the Scotty bashing a rest, (it really gets old), and getting back on track. I don't know what your driving situation is, but I found if you incorporate a Battery Tender, if you have a vehicle that sits for any length of time, will greatly add to it's life. I never have a car sit for more than a couple of days, so I don't incorporate them on my vehicles. But when I lived in Lake Havasu, and had a garage full of motorcycles, ATV's, and jet ski's, I always had all of them hooked up to Battery Tenders. I rarely bought a battery.

Now I have a 12 volt lead acid car battery I bought new from Wal-Mart, that is used only to operate a clay target thrower. Most of the time it sits on a wooden plank on my garage floor, hooked up to a Battery Tender. It is several years old, and it's always at 100% when I do use it. Stick with the actual Battery Tender brand. They have very good quality electronics, and rarely burn out or fail. And they're not expensive. They make several different models for just about any application you can imagine. From small one battery models. To large multiple units that can keep several batteries maintained to 100% charge, without ever overcharging them. Having a battery in a constant state of discharge from sitting, then recharging it will lower the capacity over time, and greatly shorten it's service life.

I have maintainers on two seperate vehicles/items and I use a third for when I am letting my DD sit for several days. Such as this long weekend where we had so much snow(I've been in the house for 84 hrs), we were asked to stay off the roads. I did go out to snowblow/shovel 3X just in case of emergencies. We cooked up a storm...lots to eat.

I swear by Tenders/maintainers. One battey(Firebird) is 14 yrs old. And as long as I keep the acid level up, who know how long it'll last. The other is(backup sump pump) 5 yrs old and same goes for it. I've never used a maintainer on a DD for any super length of time(only as mentioned above) so, I only get the normal 5-7 yrs out of them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4
And the fact that everything around him in his videos is a pig sty. If he doesn't realize that that reflects on him, then what else is he ignorant of?!?

John M. Browning's original workbench. Do you think he realized how that, "reflected on him"? Does it make you wonder, "what else he was ignorant of"?

John M. Browning Original Workbench.jpg

I have maintainers on two seperate vehicles/items and I use a third for when I am letting my DD sit for several days. Such as this long weekend where we had so much snow(I've been in the house for 84 hrs), we were asked to stay off the roads. I did go out to snowblow/shovel 3X just in case of emergencies. We cooked up a storm...lots to eat.

I swear by Tenders/maintainers. One battey(Firebird) is 14 yrs old. And as long as I keep the acid level up, who know how long it'll last. The other is(backup sump pump) 5 yrs old and same goes for it. I've never used a maintainer on a DD for any super length of time(only as mentioned above) so, I only get the normal 5-7 yrs out of them.

Interesting that you got that many years out of a battery. I was just posting about how I only got 4 years, 3 years of that (car was in storage) on a battery tender continuously as it was designed to do. The 4 year old battery tested out as a fail. Lost 200CCA and was under what was required to start the car.

But I agree. besides the arguments against Scotty (guy seems to take the oddest solutions and thinks he engineered everything automotive).. Having a larger battery capacity.. What is so wrong with that? Besides the "more CCA, the thinner the plates" argument..

I think by having them even slightly discharge from sitting, then get recharged by the vehicles charging system, will sulfate the plates over time, and decrease the life of a battery substantially.

Originally Posted by billt460

I think by having them even slightly discharge from sitting, then get recharged by the vehicles charging system, will sulfate the plates over time, and decrease the life of a battery substantially.

Agreed. Lead acid batteries self-discharge at some rate as high as 1% per day. Add a quiescent draw on an installed battery, and it can drop faster.

At 0% state of charge, in reality, there is some ability to do work, which is why people have slowly cranked their cars over, and had power door locks work at 11.x V.

It's not a terribly exact science, and tenders tend to get it about right. Some on here talk about many otc chargers not charging batteries fully. I also talk about alternators not charging batteries fully/optimally. All the case, but how much it matters is the bigger question.

The degrading side reactions are based upon Arrhenius (temperature affects the rate of reaction) and Tafel (voltage affects the rate of reaction), as well as actual use (materials effects). So yes, being below true 100% SOC induces some sulfation, but existing at all does, and existing at lower SOC does as well. How much really matters? These aren't mission critical applications. Vendors usually design the batteries with somewhat more capacity than nameplate to allow for some capacity loss and impedance growth.

In well kept *charge and climate" conditions, like data centers, batteries can last 15 years. Batteries kept well in automotive use have been known to last 10. A tender or good enough unit like that, which for safety sake can not drive too much currrent in at float, is a good thing if you trust the electronics and controls..float voltage is tempersture dependent, so temperature compensation is important, especially if in a harder climate. Some chargers have a manual setting, but I like the battery minder 2012 series due to the thermistor that can be remotely attached. I understand that the battery tender metal box units also have compensation, but it's in the box (near electronics heat sources), and not actively identified the way the LED is set up on the 2012. I have and use both brands.

On this Firebird FORMULA that I purchased brand new, I was originally going through batteries faithfully, every 5 yrs. I'd give'em a charge after the winter due to being dead after winter storage. And after not holding a charge for more than one more startup, they'd finally die completely after the 5th yr.

In 2005, I bought this current...brand new standard EverSTART DT/dual terminal(~$50 then) from Walmart(not the MAXX). And at that time, I also bought a brand new Schumacher Maintainer(~$30 then) and connected it to the right away. I have had this battey since and it still starts the V8 everytime. I also check the acid level annually or twice even.

And because I don't drive this FORMULA every single day in the summer, I do plug it in when I pull the car into the garage due to, not knowing exactly when I will be diving her again. Last summer 2018, I had the battery load tested at AAP and it was fine however, I don't remember the reading to discuss here. I did keep the ticker tape readout in the glovebox but, the car is covered up for now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by twoheeldrive
He's usually pretty well crocked... which makes him entertaining.
lol.gif
Either that or Scotty's got some form of dyskinesia going on these days. Fwiw, I occasionally put a maintainer on my batteries. Less occasionally, if needed add some distilled water. That's it.

I brought a battery in from my boat, put it on a battery maintainer to help it last longer. Dog chewed the corner of the case and now it needs replacement. So I can say that bringing a battery in to put on a battery maintainer does not always help the battery last longer.

Originally Posted by Donald
I brought a battery in from my boat, put it on a battery maintainer to help it last longer. Dog chewed the corner of the case and now it needs replacement. So I can say that bringing a battery in to put on a battery maintainer does not always help the battery last longer.

Was it the battery needing replacement? Or the dog?? Seriously, solar battery mainta8ners and a desulphating battery maintainer both allow batteries to last a LOT longer-keep them charged, watered, and free of sulfation buildup, it's possible to get 10 years+ out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back