Save 1/4 on gas!! Guaranteed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Install this magical heater between the carb and manifold ....

"Converts low test gas to high test"
🤣🤣🤣

95C98ABF-2383-42F9-96A4-4F4131DB667D.png

Now, recuperation does indeed have the potential to save gas... but this is taking electricity that would be otherwise useful work.

Recuperation also doesn't work so well during cold start, which this advertises.

Wonder where I can get one of these? Alas, its probably 6v...

Too bad I don't own a Studebaker, Overland, Reo, Willy's-Knight, Kissel, Flint, Mitchell, Chandler..........

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gman2304
Too bad I don't own a Studebaker, Overland, Reo, Willy's-Knight, Kissel, Flint, Mitchell, Chandler..........

I was thinking the same thing - -
This is from 1927, I wonder how much longer they were around.
I have never even heard of a couple of them.

Rickenbacker Six ... ?

I'm probably approaching this from an uninformed and simplistic point of view, but isn't it usually a bad thing to heat your fuel?
I've read about the cooling properties of alcohol fuels being critical in top fuel and funny car dragsters (even though they have much less energy content than gas) and also remember the Israelis making a super high speed variant of the F4 Phantom for chasing MiG25s using some advanced cooling technique in the jet engines (durability was not a concern in that application).A MiG25 once streaked over Israel from Syria to Egypt (I think) at incredible speed and there was an immediate rush to develop some way to intercept such a flight...I believe the MiG had actually suffered considerable damage from the speed when it landed, though.

In the days where carburetors were imprecise devices, compression ratios were very low and engine temperature management was non existent, heating the fuel droplets may have helped.

I mentioned this before, but Ford's inline six with integral intake manifold and single barrel carb, did a fairly good job with regard to fuel distribution on our dyno tests. One reason might have been that the intake manifold carb mounting point was directly over, and integral with 2 enlarged exhaust ports. The fuel would come out of the carb and hit a finned hot spot.

This device attempts to do much the same thing.

My aunt/uncle use to use a carburetor heater on their vehicles in the really cold temperatures out in Manitoba. Looked something like this.
I recalled seeing something similar in my dad's shop and I remember asking him what it was for when I was younger.

[Linked Image]

Another design...

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I'm probably approaching this from an uninformed and simplistic point of view, but isn't it usually a bad thing to heat your fuel?
I've read about the cooling properties of alcohol fuels being critical in top fuel and funny car dragsters (even though they have much less energy content than gas) and also remember the Israelis making a super high speed variant of the F4 Phantom for chasing MiG25s using some advanced cooling technique in the jet engines (durability was not a concern in that application).A MiG25 once streaked over Israel from Syria to Egypt (I think) at incredible speed and there was an immediate rush to develop some way to intercept such a flight...I believe the MiG had actually suffered considerable damage from the speed when it landed, though.
It might make a difference on a 100 year old primitive carb. The argument I have heard is that the hotter the air/fuel the less energy that is consumed to get it to that temperature, so it makes the engine more efficient. Air is more complex because of greater oxygen density in colder air than warmer. You can also get vapor lock through fuel lines getting hotter than the boiling point of whatever fuel you are using, but that only happened when carbed vehicles only needed single digit fuel pressures.

This thing wants to form a better, more uniform intake charge. A liquid fuel needs to mix in perfectly with a gas within a short time. Very tough to do and do consistently.
Heating the liquid fuel(gas) causes it to evaporate at a greater rate, improving your charge by theoretically mixing air to fuel more evenly.

Originally Posted by Cujet
In the days where carburetors were imprecise devices, compression ratios were very low and engine temperature management was non existent, heating the fuel droplets may have helped.

I mentioned this before, but Ford's inline six with integral intake manifold and single barrel carb, did a fairly good job with regard to fuel distribution on our dyno tests. One reason might have been that the intake manifold carb mounting point was directly over, and integral with 2 enlarged exhaust ports. The fuel would come out of the carb and hit a finned hot spot.

The "smaller" series of inline 6, like the 170 cu in and 200 cu in engines in Falcons, Mustangs, and Fairmonts/Granadas?

Originally Posted by StevieC
My aunt/uncle use to use a carburetor heater on their vehicles in the really cold temperatures out in Manitoba. Looked something like this.
I recalled seeing something similar in my dad's shop and I remember asking him what it was for when I was younger.

Another design...

I remember seeing these on carb'd GM corporate V6's .... 2.8 and the like?

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Cujet

The "smaller" series of inline 6, like the 170 cu in and 200 cu in engines in Falcons, Mustangs, and Fairmonts/Granadas?

Yes, the smaller inline 6. The bigger ones (240-300) usually run better with heat added to the intake manifold in carburetor applications. The heat keeps the fuel droplets in suspension longer, as it is a long ways from the carb to the ends of the engine.

EFI big six engines with a injector at each cylinder run better.

It works...sort of...

Back in the '90s, I had an HZ Holden Wagon, with 253 V-8...it was 15-18 MPG max (Oz MPG too, not US)..

I started playing with it
* Lower hose thermostat to control coolant INLET temperatures (the trial that I had made up ended up on Gary Allan's Jeep - it works)
* The thermostatic inlet air controller on the air cleaner was bridged, so that at idle it was ALL hot air (WOT it was ducted cold).
* I routed the PCV through a coil wrapped around the Right hand exhaust manifold, and back to the carb...wrapped the coil in ceramic blanket to heat the PCV to the max...the PCV port on the Q-Jet aimed straight at the idle mixture ports, so my intent was to heat the idle/off idle/transition and cruise.
* Added EGR extension tubes to point exhaust gasses at the same point, from the opposite side of the throttle butterfly.
* drilled the EGR valve to introduce EGR at idle...functioned as a normal egr otherwise (tried full EGR at idle, and was too unstable, surving manifold vacuum.
* restricted on of the dual exhausts (full dual exhaust), to force more heat under the heated plenum.
* Ran full vacuum advance at Idle.
* as a result of the above, I ran out of bottom stop on the idle speed setting, and had to control idle speed with idle mxture...it would run way way lean.
* as a result could stick fuse wire in the primary jets to lean them out.
* and richened up the secondary metering rods.

HOT HOT HOT...but at W.O.T. all the vacuum stuff had no vacuum, so it was cold air, minimal EGR (remember the valve was drilled), and back to mechanical advance.

It didn't ping at all.

And it got 30MPG on the open highway.

But was an absolute DOG to start and keep running for the first 3/4 mile or so.

Did similar on a couple of simple pushrod 4s and 6s with similar results.

Why ????

Because I was a fan of Smokey's hot vapour cycle (well anything Smokey)
https://www.legendarycollectorcars....-and-hear-it-run-in-our-exclusive-video/

And was in constant conversation with Australian engine engineer John Bennet. Some of his articles here
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DLcYX0Pp9zuv_u88Yxn4fUw9Mcgpg66l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back