M1 0w40 extended oci??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda confused. I thought it was an extended use oil but on another post someone said it's not and then I googled and have gotten mixed messages?
I put it in my car intending to extend. Some people said it's only about a 5k mile oil.
If it's not good for an extended oci is it good for the 10k manual calls for? I do feel like my car likes it. Seems quiet and smooth. I used Dino until about 40k for 5k ocis. Manual says 5k conversational and 10k synthetic.

What vehicle, what service? This oil can run a long OCI 15-20k miles in the right application.
It can also need drained in 5k in anTGDI application.
One cannot recomend an OCI without knowing the horsepower, fuel mileage, induction method, fuel management system and sump capacity.

I currently run 10k OCI on a twin turbo ecoboost, debating on extending it to 12k miles.

There's not a single TDGI engine on this planet that Mobil 0W40 couldn't handle 5k OCIs under normal driving condition.

Mobil 1 0w40 easily a 7-10k OCI oil in just about any vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
What vehicle, what service? This oil can run a long OCI 15-20k miles in the right application.
One cannot recomend an OCI without knowing the horsepower, fuel mileage, induction method, fuel management system and sump capacity.

Just a Toyota 1.5

Year, sump mpg? Not real familiar unless you give year and make of vehicle.
Originally Posted by Pinoak
Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr

Just a Toyota 1.5

Originally Posted by zorobabel
If your drives are short, you might want to stick to conversational oil.
It talks to you? How does that work?

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by zorobabel
If your drives are short, you might want to stick to conversational oil.
It talks to you? How does that work?

I couldn't help myself, the OP gets it; he's complaining the Castrol is giving him the silent treatment
smile.gif

Pinoak has said in previous posts he puts on a LOT of highway miles.

I say run that schmit for 20,000 highway miles in your 1.5 Toy!!!

Pinoak

I think you should do a solid 10,000 miles if mixed driving,
or 15,000 highway miles - then do a UOA on it

No more than 5k on any oil, 3k in conventional. Your engine is small displacement,therefore is going under heavier revving, and more friction.

Friction = heat
heat/time= oil entropy

I'd be willing to bet the oil temperature design for his engine doesn't exceed that of any other water cooled gasoline auto engine. It may run at 3,000rpms on the highway, or something, but there are worse applications running much higher Hp for example. M1 0W40 carries a lot of good specs, including MB 229.5, where the maintenance minder is set to 10,000 mi. OCI even in their 2.0T applications.

Originally Posted by KevD47
I'd be willing to bet the oil temperature design for his engine doesn't exceed that of any other water cooled gasoline auto engine. It may run at 3,000rpms on the highway, or something, but there are worse applications running much higher Hp for example. M1 0W40 carries a lot of good specs, including MB 229.5, where the maintenance minder is set to 10,000 mi. OCI even in their 2.0T applications.

But the Mercs also have rather large sumps. Some people make blind recommendations about oils: that's a 5k, 10k oil etc., without considering sump capacity and driving conditions.

M1 0w-40 has long life ratings. 1 year or 10,000 miles on a sound non fuel diluting engine would be easy

Originally Posted by CT8
M1 0w-40 has long life ratings. 1 year or 10,000 miles on a sound non fuel diluting engine would should be easy

Fixed it for you. Without a UOA you cannot be sure; Pinoak I'd do a UOA at 5k and leave the oil in pending results.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Pinoak has said in previous posts he puts on a LOT of highway miles.

I say run that schmit for 20,000 highway miles in your 1.5 Toy!!!

Yes I drive a heck of a lot. Thanks

Curious, what car do you have? I don't recall any 1.5L toyota motor recommending a 10K OCI; Perhaps the Yaris iA, but that is a mazda motor IIRC.

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
No more than 5k on any oil, 3k in conventional. Your engine is small displacement,therefore is going under heavier revving, and more friction.

Friction = heat
heat/time= oil entropy

Serious??? Really??? What year is it?

Conventionals (synthetic blends) 5-10k easily!!!!
Full synthetic 10-20k

Welcome to the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back