2012 to 2016 ford focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
i got one as a rental a few weeks ago. i likes it a lot. it was a 2017 titanium hatchback. the gas mileage was excellent i have seen them for sale about $10k for a 2012 to 2014 . model . So what do you guys think of them. are they easy for the home mechcanic to work on? how durable are they? are there any issues to look for ?

Thanks

Originally Posted by MParr
Everything about the Focus is good EXCEPT the DUAL CLUTCH TRANSMISSION.

Best reply on bitog today.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
i got one as a rental a few weeks ago. i likes it a lot. it was a 2017 titanium hatchback. the gas mileage was excellent i have seen them for sale about $10k for a 2012 to 2014 . model . So what do you guys think of them. are they easy for the home mechcanic to work on? how durable are they? are there any issues to look for ?

Thanks

If you get one with a manual, they're fine. Maybe a little worse than the Japanese for reliability, but parts should be cheaper and the car is a considerably better deal used. When it comes to ease of maintenance they're about the same as anything else of that vintage.

Do not, under any circumstance, buy one with the Powershift double clutch transmission. They're abject garbage for which Ford has been successfully sued many times, in multiple countries, and AFAIK they have still not really fixed the problems.

It's actually a real shame, because Ford ruined what was otherwise a nice little car with a junk, gimmicky transmission. It's especially baffling given as Ford spent a huge sum of money developing a new automatic with GM (6T30/6F35) which would have worked just fine, and is used in GM's small cars with good results.

Yep, wife had a 2014 Titanium and that car was excellent in every way except that DCT...she had to trade it in at a loss because she was literally scared that car was going to kill her because the transmission!

ONLY get one with the manual transmission. The Mk3 Focus with a manual is awesome!

DO NOT get one with an automatic! They are horrible and have been recalled over a dozen times and they still can't get it right! In fact, the DCT is a big reason why Ford stopped selling cars here.

There is one version of the 1.0T sedan that has a regular 6-speed automatic, but only the sedan, and only a special model of them. Otherwise, just get a stick.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
ONLY get one with the manual transmission. The Mk3 Focus with a manual is awesome!

DO NOT get one with an automatic! They are horrible and have been recalled over a dozen times and they still can't get it right! In fact, the DCT is a big reason why Ford stopped selling cars here.

There is one version of the 1.0T sedan that has a regular 6-speed automatic, but only the sedan, and only a special model of them. Otherwise, just get a stick.

Agreed

66,000 miles on my 2015 Focus 1.0 EcoBoost hatchback with 6 speed manual. Wonderful car. Handles great, quiet and comfortable. I bought it new and it's been flawless.

50+ MPG is possible is you want to do it.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Yeah, Ford has lost lawsuits in at least two countries over the DCT. If there's any silver lining to it all, the DCT has damaged the reputation of the car to such an extent that you could pick up a manual equipped Focus for a song. Even the ST versions are very cheap compared to their competition.

Last edited:
looking at my local craigslist , finding a manual focus seems pretty hard. out of the 40 or so i saw for sale, there was only one.

That's pretty normal. Practically no one wants (or can drive) an MT anymore. Dealers won't take them on trade , in most cases, so you may have to a bit further to find one. That being said, the 1.0 /MT is a great match.

Originally Posted by NO2
That's pretty normal. Practically no one wants (or can drive) an MT anymore. Dealers won't take them on trade , in most cases, so you may have to a bit further to find one. That being said, the 1.0 /MT is a great match.

I'd argue if you want maximum reliability, a 2.0 with the stick would be your best bet, though, and it's really not that much worse on MPGs than the 3cyl. The 2.0 would be a bit faster, too, and maybe even easier to find. Wasn't the turbo 3 actually an option whereas the 2.0 was standard?

looking at my local craigslist , finding a manual focus seems pretty hard. out of the 40 or so i saw for sale, there was only one.

Exactly!

The stick models are usually base model with no/little options.
Ford didn't make many of them as they know their target market are youth who don't want/can't drive stick.

Easier to simply go with the Japanese/korean competition. Spend a little more and get more refinement with added reliability.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

Exactly!

The stick models are usually base model with no/little options.
Ford didn't make many of them as they know their target market are youth who don't want/can't drive stick.

Easier to simply go with the Japanese/korean competition. Spend a little more and get more refinement with added reliability.

I think the compelling thing about the Focus, though, is that you can get a [censored] of a good deal on one, and they're not that much less reliable than a Honda or Toyota. It's always been that way, really. Even though they were very solid, competetive and fun to drive cars for pretty much their entire existence before the PowerShift, they were always much cheaper than the Japanese on the used market.

+1,000,000

As others have stated don't buy an automatic. You'll do more than kick yourself when it stops working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back