'15 6.7 Powerstroke UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
FE................................................................77
CHROMIUM................................................ NICKEL....................................................... ALUMINUM...................................................6
PB................................................................ SILVER....................................................... COPPER.......................................................2
TIN............................................................... TITANIUM.................................................... SILICON........................................................7
BORON.....................................................187
SODIUM..................................................... POTASSIUM................................................2
MOLY........................................................284
PHOS........................................................902
ZINC........................................................1044
CALCIUM................................................1359
BARIUM..................................................... MAGNESIUM...........................................838
ANTIMONY................................................ VANADIUM................................................ VIS@ 100 C...........................................11.0
SOOT....................................................... FUEL%....................................................
OIl and filter were changed at the time of sample, IOLM was at 0% (9,975 mi.)
The oil is John Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30 CK-4
The sample is from 10/08/18
The lab is OILSCAN
The truck is an F350 6.7 Powerstroke diesel, which is my work truck. It tows and hauls heavy daily.

The uptick in FE this sample attributing to a recall/TSB that was preformed during this run on the crankcase vent system as there is no other uptick in any other wear metal.
This is by far my highest ever FE# as since break-in they have run near 20 per 10,000 mi. OCI.

Originally Posted by claluja
Use Enerburn?

Yes I have been using Enerburn for the last year or so. At first I did see a major decrease in regen % at 500 mi., but now I'm not sure if it was attributed to the very cold weather we experienced last year at this time or the Enerburn. I am continuing to use it currently, but not so sure into the future once my current stock is exhausted.

Originally Posted by roadrunner1
Use Enerburn?

Yes I have been using Enerburn for the last year or so. At first I did see a major decrease in regen % at 500 mi., but now I'm not sure if it was attributed to the very cold weather we experienced last year at this time or the Enerburn. I am continuing to use it currently, but not so sure into the future once my current stock is exhausted.

Enerburn is why you have high iron. Pouring iron into your fuel, which makes it's way into the oil.

Originally Posted by roadrunner1
Use Enerburn?

Enerburn is why you have high iron. Pouring iron into your fuel, which makes it's way into the oil.

Really? I've been using the same fuel across my several different diesel engines and haven't seen an increase in FE, this is the first I've heard of this.

I take the wear numbers as a possible oil spec issue.

I couldn't find John Deere oil meeting the FORD WSS-M2C171-F1 oil spec.
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/additionalinfo/dieseloilsWSSM2C171F1.pdf

According to Ford, CK-4 does not give enough wear protection.
https://www.oildepot.ca/solution-ford-concerns-2017-api-ck-4-diesel-motor-oil-specs/

If it was my PS 6.7, I would do the following.
Run a Ford approved oil such as Devlac ESP 0W-40, using a higher weight than was on the UOA.
Change the oil at 20% OLM remaining life, just because I want the safety margin.
Stop using additives.

The Enerburn is a FUEL additive, not an oil additive.

I have the complete history of UOA's from when the truck was new, its always had 10w-30, always run to IOLM 0%, and this isn't the first run of the Deere CK-4, but it is the first uptick in FE.
As I had stated there was a warranty repair done involving the crankcase vent system.

I am going to assume the Deere lube isn't on the Ford list since it isn't officially API certified, no worries from my camp.

Oil is good oil.

Enerburn is the high iron culprit for stock 6.7s. If you want another example, see beercan UOA thread I just bumped. Seen others.

Last edited:
There is a later uoa than the one you bumped that has my first run without enerburn. My fe was still high, I have another uoa coming real soon which should help confirm or deny this theory

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BeerCan
There is a later uoa than the one you bumped that has my first run without enerburn. My fe was still high, I have another uoa coming real soon which should help confirm or deny this theory

Should come down, but slowly since the Enerburn coats engine parts with iron oxide. It's not just a matter of residual iron in the oil.

Edit: just looked up your latest UOA - thanks! Iron dropping nicely, and should drop further on your next one if Enerburn-free.

Good news is that the increased iron wasn't coming from engine wear!

Last edited:
Mechanical parts being removed/reinstalled (nuts&bolts) within the oil system.

I had no idea pertaining the iron oxide within Enerburn, definitely something I will look at next OC,

https://www.enerburninc.com/
reduced wear by 40-50%????
I find that hard to believe ...

I know nothing of this product, but if there is correlation, that's worth investigating.
I'd email them and ask them about the Fe oxides; they may be willing to share info.

Here's the real rub ....
Let's say the Enerburn is the cause of the higher Fe. OK - means the engine isn't wearing adversely.
But this is like the topic of the Cu in Dmax engines when you see some lubes with high amines attack the oil cooler; they spike Cu REALLY high.
So if the product you use spikes a wear metal, even if that wear is colloidal and not detrimental, what happens when the element is so freaking high in the UOA count that is masks other issues?
If the Fe is allowed to be this high, then it's really hard (if not impossible) to see real world upticks in true wear, because the magnitude attributed to the additive is so large that you cannot discern smaller shifts in wear!

I'd ditch the additive, but it's not my truck.

Fyi, Enerburn admits increased iron in the oil can result (but says "don't be alarmed"
confused2.gif
). My view is that it is particularly problematic in engines subject to fuel dilution, such as stock 6.7s which inject fuel on the exhaust stroke during regens. No real way to keep the added iron from the enerburn/ferrocene out of the oil.

https://www.movinout.com/magazine/enerburn-r-user-s-guide

Also, one can read up on enerburn/ferrocene and figure out this will happen.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...on_Four_Stroke_Diesel_Engine_Performance

http://fpc1.com/sci_ferrocene.php

Last edited:
Well next UOA will have Enerburn also as I have 550 gallon bulk tank on site and fuel is already mixed.

I used enerburn in my 6.7 for almost 20k miles. I found that its impact on regens was minimal and for me it was a waste of money. I have been enerburn free now for over 10k miles so if it was impacting the fe in my reports we should see that soon. I have a report coming in about 2 weeks. My regens without enerburn are in the 300-350 mile range around town and I usually make it to 500 auto regen when I do mostly highway diving. For me it was worth the try but in the end I found it was not helping as much as they claimed.

BTW I want to add that I think the fuel I use has more impact on regens than anything else. Sometimes the diesel I get is clear like water and sometimes it is yellowish. i have not put 2 and 2 together yet but my gut tells me it has an impact.

Last edited:
Beercan, almost every stock 6.7 I have seen ends up with about 3 - 5% fuel dilution in a typical oci. Yours doesn't. Any ideas? Are you doing anything different, or do you think it's just because GC has not been performed?

Last edited:
Beercan, almost every stock 6.7 I have seen ends up with about 3 - 5% fuel dilution in a typical oci. Yours doesn't. Any ideas? Are you doing anything different, or do you think it's just because GC has not been performed?

Polaris uses GC so I am not sure. Even the computer on the truck predicts 2% dilution when I get about 7k miles in, so either I am lucky or Polaris is getting it wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back