Full dexos1 (2010), dexos1 Gen 2 (2015), and dexos2 (2009) specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither my Firefox nor my PDF Viewer Plus, can open your XLS? file. I'm hearing that I must download Google app for Desktops first.

Last edited:
Fire tablets open it fine
smile.gif

Very cool. I was expecting to see a timing chain wear test for the new Dexos1 spec. Didn't see one.

Also noted that Dexos2 (decade-old) does not contain an LSPI test.

Last edited:
It's also interesting that the wear requirements for dexos1 and dexos2 are the same, despite one being thin and the other one being thick oil. Yet, many people here opt for a thick dexos2 when thin oil is specified.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Very cool. I was expecting to see a timing chain wear test for the new Dexos1 spec. Didn't see one.

Dex2 is a diesel spec, and AFAIK LSPI is not an issue in diesel engines.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster

https://www.fuelsandlubes.com/fli-article/the-new-gm-dexos2-its-complicated/

I read this as saying that dexos2 would include an LSPI test roughly 2017ish, but it turns out upon careful review (thanks, Brigadier) that SOME grades of dexos2 oils will include the test at some undetermined point in the future...the reasoning for the test is explained near the top, to allow dexos2 to be speced for gas and diesel engines in Europe (at some point).

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
https://www.fuelsandlubes.com/fli-article/the-new-gm-dexos2-its-complicated/

I read this as saying that dexos2 would include an LSPI test roughly 2017ish, but it turns out upon careful review (thanks, Brigadier) that SOME grades of dexos2 oils will include the test at some undetermined point in the future...the reasoning for the test is explained near the top, to allow dexos2 to be speced for gas and diesel engines in Europe (at some point).

Did you even read my post in the other thread?

This old article from 2014 is pure trash! The author confused between dexos2 and dexos1 Gen 2. When he says dexos2, he's referring to dexos1 Gen 2.

dexos1 Gen 2 and LSPI tests as well as the thinner grades mentioned in the article came in 2015 (not in 2017) -- about a year after the article was published. Also, all grades of dexos1 Gen 2 included the LSPI tests, not just the new thin grades.

The information concerning timing chain wear was gathered from reputable sites but apparently, according this, maybe not so much.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gokhan

This old article from 2014 is pure trash! The author confused between dexos2 and dexos1 Gen 2. When he says dexos2, he's referring to dexos1 Gen 2.
dexos1 Gen 2 and LSPI tests as well as the thinner grades mentioned in the article came in 2015 (not in 2017) -- about a year after the article was published. Also, all grades of dexos1 Gen 2 included the LSPI tests, not just the new thin grades.

I did see that post in the other thread and totally disagreed with it.
There are numerous references to diesel and one to biodiesel compatibility in particular that must be referring to dexos2, and the discussion about "old" grades not being tested for LSPI makes zero sense with respect to dexos1 Gen 2.

It appears that you have some impressive googling skills, but your analyses generally seem poor to me and I honestly have to say you act unhinged on here at times.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by Gokhan

I did see that post in the other thread and totally disagreed with it.
There are numerous references to diesel and one to biodiesel compatibility in particular that must be referring to dexos2, and the discussion about "old" grades not being tested for LSPI makes zero sense with respect to dexos1 Gen 2.

It appears that you have some impressive googling skills, but your analyses generally seem poor to me and I honestly have to say you act unhinged on here at times.

Really? I get attacked now? I pointed out to you that there was no LSPI test in dexos2. You ignored that until yesterday while posting the link at every opportunity, only to finally realize that you were wrong.

Yet, you still keep promoting this link, which obviously has a lot of false information.

Why is this so difficult for you to understand? The author simply appears confused between dexos1 Gen 2 and dexos2. I pointed out to you that the article is from circa 2014 - 2015, months before dexos1 Gen 2 was released. He says "new dexos2 specification, due out this year." Was dexos2 Gen 2 released in 2015? In fact, has dexos2 Gen 2 been released at all to this date? Of course, no. He's obviously referring to dexos1 Gen 2, which was released in 2015.

He also mentions six new engine tests. You can clearly see them in the dexos1 Gen 2 specs I posted in my original post here.

He says dexos2 Gen 1 was released in 2010. No, it was released in 2009. dexos1 Gen 1 was released in 2010.

The new xW-20 grades he mentioned were also introduced with dexos1 Gen 2.

Yes, there is some diesel-specific talk. It appears that the speaker (Thomas Hickl) was talking about both dexos1 Gen 2 and dexos2. The distinction between the two seems to have got "lost in translation" when this blog was written. Don't you also think that it's very strange that there is no mention to dexos1 Gen 2 at all in the article, even though it was written shortly before dexos1 Gen 2 was released?

Old viscosity grades remaining for backward compatibility but not requiring LSPI and new tests -- this also makes no sense.

You posted this article once, which would be fine. However, it's dubious to say the least. Why would you keep posting a dubious article over and over and over again and take it as absolute facts? We all know that dexos2 Gen 2 and new ACEA specs will have LSPI tests. Why still refer to this blog post, which is full of falsehoods, misrepresentations, and missing facts? You can learn a lot more by reading the specs I posted in my original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back