Milwaukee 2861 1/2" Mid-Torque Impact Wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thread will be about cordless vs air tools................... everyone cares about that.

What are you afraid of?

I don't care one way or the other I have and use both, Those threads and there have been many of them have been beaten to death,
You cant be serious, afraid of something in a thread? Start a thread if you feel the need to why keep talking about it.

Originally Posted by user52165
The thread will be about cordless vs air tools................... everyone cares about that.

What are you afraid of?

I think I'd trust a pro's (Trav's) input and experience as much as anyone. As a shade tree my compressor sits idle most of the time, but I can certainly appreciate that there are some things that air can do better.

So to get back on topic...

OP, this is rated at 600? I have the same (looking) machine that I bought some years back that's rated for 220. Quite a spec increase! It's pretty good for unseized lugs and minor things.

Curious why you bought this vs a 1/2" drive stubby. Is this really more convenient than the full size 1000ft-lb guns? I was thinking of selling mine like this and replacing with 3/8" stubby.

The shops that I've gone to around here use air tools for the most part. In fact the guy that does the NY State Inspections on my vehicles only uses air tools, as does the truck spring shop that did the tire installation and alignment on my E-150. Battery powered impacts and ratchets have their place, but I don't see them replacing air tools any time soon.

I really like the smaller cordless impacts, when I bought the 1/2" Makita it was a choice between the made in Japan uber powerful 9lb tool or the small 1/2" 5lb tool (inc 5A battery), it is the same size as the 1/4 and 3/8", very light and powerful enough. I went with the small one and don't regret it.
For the big stuff I have powerful air guns up to 1" drive, the 1/2" has more power, weighs 4lb less and 2" smaller than the big cordless.

The problem with big guns cordless or air is using them under the hood, its almost impossible with today's cramped engine bays, the small gun gets in so many places the big one wont go, basically relegating them to under the car work.
For body panels, interior bolts, hinges and so on the small one really shines, no air hose getting dragged into the interior to get seat belt and seat bolts. Other tools are mains electric like angle grinders, big drills and sheet metal shears.

One type of tool is not better than another for all jobs, they all have their place in the box.

Air compressor cost a lot of money to operate. Compressing air is expensive and for a business it may be cheaper to recharge batteries. I have not looked into the math of this but just a thought

Originally Posted by spk2000
Air compressor cost a lot of money to operate. Compressing air is expensive and for a business it may be cheaper to recharge batteries. I have not looked into the math of this but just a thought

Batteries aren't cheap, and can only be recharged a certain amount of time before they're totally useless. That has to be factored into the equation too. Battery powered tools are great, I own a few. Like air tools they have a place in the tool box, and maybe one day they'll replace them, but not now.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by spk2000

Batteries aren't cheap, and can only be recharged a certain amount of time before they're totally useless. That has to be factored into the equation too. Battery powered tools are great, I own a few. Like air tools they have a place in the tool box, and maybe one day they'll replace them, but not now.

+1.

Battery round trip efficiency is around 85%. So the question is how efficient is compressing and decompressing air to do work.

FWIW I used to use hand tools exclusively and was too stubborn to make my life easier with power tools. I have arthritis in my hands now so I got a Dewalt 20V Max hex driver (because it was the one that was made in the USA) and use it all the time. I would like to get a cordless impact like the OP's too but for now I'll continue with my 1/2" Milwaukee corded impact.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Silverado12
FWIW I used to use hand tools exclusively and was too stubborn to make my life easier with power tools. I have arthritis in my hands now so I got a Dewalt 20V Max hex driver (because it was the one that was made in the USA) and use it all the time. I would like to get a cordless impact like the OP's too but for now I'll continue with my 1/2" Milwaukee corded impact.

I was like you. Arthritis in the hands was a game changer for me. I have air as well as battery powered tools, they help a lot. My only regret is I didn't see the light a few decades ago and bought the air tools sooner.

1/2" Impact

Since I already have the batteries and charger I'll probably get this one (except w/o included battery & charger). I've heard your Milwaukee is a little better, though for removing tough nuts and bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back