Australia now world's largest exporter of Natural Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...er-crown-from-qatar-in-nov-idUSKBN1O907N

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Australia overtook Qatar as the world's largest exporter of liquefied natural gas (LNG) for the first time in November, data from Refinitiv Eikon showed on Monday.

In November, Australia loaded 6.5 million tonnes of LNG for exports while Qatar exported over 6.2 million tonnes, the data showed.
"It may have come later and at higher cost than originally envisaged, but Australia has taken the crown," said Saul Kavonic, energy analyst at Credit Suisse in Sydney.

Australia will further cement its top position as the final new project in the pipeline, Royal Dutch Shell's Prelude, comes online by next year, though Qatar will not stay idle, said Sanford Bernstein analyst Neil Beveridge.

This has lead to the wholesale gas price rising from $4.50 (Pacific Pesos, about equivalent to a Coors bottle cap each) to $10.50, and home gas prices that are equivalent to heating your home with gasoline...and amazingly companies looking at installing IMPORT terminals to dampen wholesale prices.

A guy I worked with some years ago worked on the gas platforms...Rolls Royce Trents, couple to gas compressors had this ex turbine engineer weak at the knees.

Now if they can only shut down some of those coal fired generating plants and burn natural gas.
wink.gif

Actually, thanks for the post. Canada is finally getting organized and Shell Canada is leading a project to get the first LNG export facility going. The spot price for natural gas in Canada is less than $1.50 US. I do remember when Oz had a price like this around 2005. The price has been suppressed since the Marcellus and Utica shales in the US backed up gas into Canada. The Marcellus and Utica, now called Appalachia together, went from 0 to 24 BCF/day in about 10 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Shannow
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...er-crown-from-qatar-in-nov-idUSKBN1O907N

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Australia overtook Qatar as the world's largest exporter of liquefied natural gas (LNG) for the first time in November, data from Refinitiv Eikon showed on Monday.

In November, Australia loaded 6.5 million tonnes of LNG for exports while Qatar exported over 6.2 million tonnes, the data showed.
"It may have come later and at higher cost than originally envisaged, but Australia has taken the crown," said Saul Kavonic, energy analyst at Credit Suisse in Sydney.

Australia will further cement its top position as the final new project in the pipeline, Royal Dutch Shell's Prelude, comes online by next year, though Qatar will not stay idle, said Sanford Bernstein analyst Neil Beveridge.

This has lead to the wholesale gas price rising from $4.50 (Pacific Pesos, about equivalent to a Coors bottle cap each) to $10.50, and home gas prices that are equivalent to heating your home with gasoline...and amazingly companies looking at installing IMPORT terminals to dampen wholesale prices.

A guy I worked with some years ago worked on the gas platforms...Rolls Royce Trents, couple to gas compressors had this ex turbine engineer weak at the knees.

How does Australia increasing LNG exports , cause my home heating gas cost to rise . If anything , I would think the increase in LNG supply would drive down prices ?

Please forgive an old man . I just do not get it . Not trying to start an argument , just need some clarification .

I thought with the hated domestic fracking , natural gas prices have come down , domestically ?

A close, older family member was instrumental in designing the large LNG carrier ships. I was always impressed with their sheer size.

Originally Posted by Cujet
A close, older family member was instrumental in designing the large LNG carrier ships. I was always impressed with their sheer size.

Was in the same shipyard that was building the big Q-Max tankers for Qatar … giant Thermos bottles …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by Cujet

Was in the same shipyard that was building the big Q-Max tankers for Qatar … giant Thermos bottles …

If I remember correctly, they release the evaporate at a slow rate, to keep the pressure reasonable.

About a month ago, we were flying down the Florida coast at night, descending from altitude to land. We saw a giant vertical fireball offshore. Like a torch really. Even from our distance, we could clearly see the yellow flame reflected in the ocean. It seemed to change intensity over time. Then we saw another, at what seemed a minor distance from the first one.

A couple minutes later, ATC asked us if we saw a ship fire. We described it the best we could and that we thought it was some form of controlled burn due to the nature of it stopping and starting.

Our best guess was a LNG ship burning off the boil off gas.

I wonder if there is a cost effective way to feed that gas to the engine & use it . In stead of flaring it ?

Originally Posted by rshaw125
Not natural gas LNG.

you just being contrary?

LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) Methane gas is processed into LNG by cooling it to −161°C, at which point it becomes a liquid. This reduces the volume of the natural gas by a factor of more than 600 times as it goes from its gaseous state to liquid

of course you export it as LNG because its 600x smaller as a liquid.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
How does Australia increasing LNG exports , cause my home heating gas cost to rise . If anything , I would think the increase in LNG supply would drive down prices ?

Please forgive an old man . I just do not get it . Not trying to start an argument , just need some clarification .

I thought with the hated domestic fracking , natural gas prices have come down , domestically ?

Back in 2012, he wholesale gas prices were $3.50/GJ...now they are $10.50 to $12.50....the contracted position of the country is such that the wholesale price has tripled.

Gas and electricity are traded similarly in OZ There's the contracted price and the transport costs (and storage costs for gas)...if you and I have a contract to load your ship for less than the wholesale price, that's between you and I....you pay the spot price, I get the spot price and recompense you the contractual gap.

So the spot price is for the most expensive joule or MW on the map...and every one on the map pays or is paid the spot. So in generation for instance, if you are called on to start a 1MW diesel generator to get the grid through the peak, at $14,000/MWh ($140/KWh) all 12,500MW on the grid at the time are at $14,000.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Now if they can only shut down some of those coal fired generating plants and burn natural gas.
wink.gif

Can't afford to....the peaker GTs have been running on diesel for the last few summers, while they try to stock up gas for domestic heating next winter.

CCGT - heat rate of about 8, $10.50 makes $84/MWh (8.6c/KWh) just to make electricity.

Originally Posted by Rand

Far more economical to move it by pipe as pressurized gas. But obviously it's not like you can transport it across the seas like laying fiber optic lines.

Heck - they're having so many issues in Europe with pipeline access that they're going to LNG even though it's more expensive.

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by rshaw125
Not natural gas LNG.

you just being contrary?

LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) Methane gas is processed into LNG by cooling it to −161°C, at which point it becomes a liquid. This reduces the volume of the natural gas by a factor of more than 600 times as it goes from its gaseous state to liquid

I interpreted Rsaw125's comment as this: Australia is now the worlds largest exporter of LNG which is compressed and cooled natural gas. However, Australia is not the largest exporter of natural gas. Russia is. They do it through a combination of pipelines and LNG. It's all semantics.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I wonder if there is a cost effective way to feed that gas to the engine & use it . In stead of flaring it ?

Not many flare it. Most LNG facilities recompress what evaporates.

But if you do want to burn it, you have to heat it up. You can't just feed the evaporative elements straight to an engine or turbine.

Originally Posted by badtlc
Not many flare it. Most LNG facilities recompress what evaporates.

Recompress? That won't re-liquefy it.

Well, eventually it can - part of getting natural gas to liquid form involves compression as well, to get it to a combination of high pressure and low temperature that results in liquid form.

There is some power recovery involved in the expansion from liquid to gas at facilities where LNG is re-gasified.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nyogtha
Well, eventually it can. But what badtlc is speaking of, it's recovered and put in with the main gas production for treatment and then to market. Whether that later gets liquified or not just depends.

Part of getting natural gas to liquid form involves compression as well, to get it to a combination of high pressure and low temperature that results in liquid form.

No, not without cooling as you note. The phase diagram shows it won't liquefy due to pressure alone unless the temperature is low enough.

LNG transport ships operate at near atmospheric pressure, correct?

Originally Posted by Nyogtha
Eventually it can, just at a higher temperature than practical to work with.

Higher temperature? Methane will not liquefy above the critical point temperature regardless of the pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back