1984 fury 318.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i bought it new. the power was way down from the start. took it back 40-50 times. i spent 100 hour trying to find out what was wrong. some if the plugs was partly black. i finally figured it out. the intake was cracked. a new edelbrock intake / carb fixed it.

Just to be clear- it took 35 years to figure out that you had a cracked intake ? Well, one has to admire your persistence
smile.gif

I had to google it in order to even remember what those look like. The 318 was and is a good engine and good you got it figured out after so many years. I would think you have a lot of miles on it by now.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Was that the weird lean burn junk? That era of mopars had some really sad rear end gears.

They still do! My 300 has a 2.62:1 rear axle! Though it is nice turning ~1500rpm at 60...

Op, pictures for us Mopar freaks please! I love all Mopars lol

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Was that the weird lean burn junk? That era of mopars had some really sad rear end gears.

They still do! My 300 has a 2.62:1 rear axle! Though it is nice turning ~1500rpm at 60...

The optional ratio on the newer Challengers is something like a 3:07. The transmission seems to make up for the gearing on the new ones, though.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

My volarie had 2.2 rear gears!

Had them in the 80's … reliable engines but infamous for valve seal leaks too

Those were sad times for the American automobile.

The trooper who gave me my first ticket drove either a Fury or a Diplomat.

Some funny stuff here if you read closely, like "a stunning 61-second 0-100" time. They say the economy 2.24 gears would give you a V-8 sedan with all the acceleration of a 2.2 liter Reliant.

https://www.allpar.com/squads/diplomat.html

I could see the slow 0-60 but 0-100? Wouldn't that be from low hp? I mean, off the line it'd be a dog but once the motor hit full song it should have been fine. Excepting for the fact that it was probably doing 60+ in first and hitting an aero brick wall...

I always wondered if there was a gain from avoiding overdrive and using direct drive when possible. I suspect the gain was negligible, and OD allowed better final drive setups (strength). In the end it's the overall drive ratio.

Originally Posted by Rhymingmechanic
Those were sad times for the American automobile.

The trooper who gave me my first ticket drove either a Fury or a Diplomat.

Some funny stuff here if you read closely, like "a stunning 61-second 0-100" time. They say the economy 2.24 gears would give you a V-8 sedan with all the acceleration of a 2.2 liter Reliant.

https://www.allpar.com/squads/diplomat.html

Most police models didn't get the super-tall gears. Typical for them was 2.76 or 2.94, usually with limited slip. (Friend's 89 Diplomat had 2.76 Sure-Grip.)

The frustrating thing is that a huge power boost was SO easy...

Originally Posted by supton
I could see the slow 0-60 but 0-100? Wouldn't that be from low hp? I mean, off the line it'd be a dog but once the motor hit full song it should have been fine. Excepting for the fact that it was probably doing 60+ in first and hitting an aero brick wall...

I always wondered if there was a gain from avoiding overdrive and using direct drive when possible. I suspect the gain was negligible, and OD allowed better final drive setups (strength). In the end it's the overall drive ratio.

They didn't have OD transmissions when they designed the Diplomat/Fury. (They were based on the 1976 Volare/Aspen.) They did have low HP...as I recall, after 1979, they topped out (police 4bbl 318) at 170HP, and they were done by 4000RPM. Things improved a bit in 1985, when they got the low-geared (A-999) transmission, but they never got OD. By the time Chrysler started building OD automatic transmissions, the M-bodies were pretty much at the end of the line.

Originally Posted by ted s
how does a cast iron intake crack?

In 1984, wasn't Chrysler hard up? I have to wonder if quality control was but a thought.

If it was cracked from the get-go, then I wonder if it got dropped before installation. Or was just a casting defect.

Florida Highway Patrol had enough of those and started getting them with 360 engines installed. They needed something meaner for chasing criminals.

Thus began FHP's penchant for overpowered patrol cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back