Can low mileage equate to an extended timeframe for OCI's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading a thread on here about extending oil change intervals to longer than yearly for vehicles that are not driven much. Only real difference between that thread and this is they were talking about gasoline vehicles and I am wondering about my diesel.

I have not paid attention to my actual mileage, but there is no way I put more than 1000 miles a year on my '05 5.9 CTD for the last 3 consecutive years. I have been changing my oil, oil filter and fuel filters yearly. And that thread I read got me wondering if I could extend that to maybe 2 years.

I'm sure right off the bat, someone will say to run an oil analysis to find out. Fair enough. If I go that route what information would I need to make sure said analysis picks up? Will the cheap $9 and change analysis from Rock Auto do the trick?

My engine oil and filters currently only run me $50 per oil change and I have enough on hand for 2 more changes. I'm running Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 and my filters utilize synthetic media. I don't need to pinch pennies, but if I can save myself some money, why not? I just don't want to get into the diminishing returns of wasting money on a spendy UOA and then end up changing the oil anyway.

Where I live you can occasionally see negative temps in the winter and 100+ in the summer. I've been servicing it during the summer.

Thoughts?

Change it every 2-3 years . I went 2 years with virtually no driving, then 25kmi to Mongolia and back, then had a great UOA.

Last edited:
Yearly. There is a reason why vehicle algorithms run down to zero even if the car is not started in one year. Oil is cheap engines are expensive and so are leaky seals and gaskets as well as valve guides etc.

Perhaps try a two year run on that Delvac 1 5w40 and send off for a UOA. That high quality oil will probably yield stellar performance even at two years. Having said that, It somewhat goes against my personal yearly OCI pattern. I know I could push my oil farther but like the peace of mind of having fresh fluid in there. Good luck with you decision.

Me, I would change yearly. In the end, do what makes you feel comfortable.

Exactly. I would recommend if the OP is head strong about the method to use Lubegard Biotech or substitute out a qt for Redline oil.Those esters will produce a better film and its polar properties. Now on to another question..How do you plan to keep the fuel from falling apart?Hopefully you run something like Archoil 6200 or Redline Diesel additive?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are reaching operational temps most often … get it tested at a year …
Delvac 1 has enough TBN where you will likely have plenty left …

I love buying used vehicles from older guys, who cannot drive themselves, but still take care of their beloved girl. I just got a 2004 MGM from a man who would change oil every 6 months by the book, regardless of the very low mileage his 88-year old Grace would run.
I have to report the car feels brand, brand new with the 63k miles on it. I also have 2 Land Cruisers with the very similar number of miles bought used. The one that was maintained by the book is also demonstrably friskier. So, those old guys with OCD have a point.

None of the previous owners ever heard of UOA or pour points.

I second what M37 says, 2-3 years at minimum, heck maybe go longer. The oil will not go bad in that time frame. More importantly I would look at a diesel additive to ensure no algae growth seeing as you will have an extremely low fuel turnover.

I had emailed Cummins a year or so ago about oil condemnation limits on the ISB6.7. They gave fuel, soot, wear metals, TBN but "surprisingly" no time limit.

Your oil and fuel filters will not rot either. My diesel supplement calls for 6 month/500hr/24,000km oil changes but the OLM just ticks off mileage. My GM OLM goes off who knows what but it is not time limited. I change the oil in the 20-24,000km range and have yet to see the OLM chime me.

Over 10 years and 57.5k mi since my last oil change. Oil definitely does not "go bad" from merely sitting.

Originally Posted by pitzel
Over 10 years and 57.5k mi since my last oil change. Oil definitely does not "go bad" from merely sitting.

From where would you suggest I have a UOA done? If I go for longer than yearly OCI's, I'd like to make sure I'm having the right things tested.

Originally Posted by HighbrowHillbill
I was reading a thread on here about extending oil change intervals to longer than yearly for vehicles that are not driven much. Only real difference between that thread and this is they were talking about gasoline vehicles and I am wondering about my diesel.

I have not paid attention to my actual mileage, but there is no way I put more than 1000 miles a year on my '05 5.9 CTD for the last 3 consecutive years. I have been changing my oil, oil filter and fuel filters yearly. And that thread I read got me wondering if I could extend that to maybe 2 years.

I'm sure right off the bat, someone will say to run an oil analysis to find out. Fair enough. If I go that route what information would I need to make sure said analysis picks up? Will the cheap $9 and change analysis from Rock Auto do the trick?

My engine oil and filters currently only run me $50 per oil change and I have enough on hand for 2 more changes. I'm running Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 and my filters utilize synthetic media. I don't need to pinch pennies, but if I can save myself some money, why not? I just don't want to get into the diminishing returns of wasting money on a spendy UOA and then end up changing the oil anyway.

Where I live you can occasionally see negative temps in the winter and 100+ in the summer. I've been servicing it during the summer.

Thoughts?

Can anyone answer this question? Is WIX Oil Analysis Kit 24077 going to tell me all I need to know? 24077

I have routinely run multi-year OCIs on many low-use vehicles. I also do UOAs on those units.
Never has there been any concern for the longer OCIs.
Presuming your engine is in good shape (good air filter, no significant internal fuel or coolant leaks, etc) then the oil has ZERO idea how old it is.
3 years is a no brainer. 5 years is doable, but you'd want UOAs.
Make sure to get it warm and not just all super short trips.

I've done this on cars, trucks, diesel tractors, generators, etc. Never has any UOA revealed any issue whatsoever. And don't fret the filters either; they are all OK for 3 years minimum. Probably 5 years, but that would be about it for a cellulose unit; syn media perhaps longer? I recently changed my fuel filter (cellulose) on my Kubota after 7 years; perfectly fine and solid. My Kubie sees it's OCIs only on the hour meter; it's pays no attention to the calendar.

Your 05 Cummins will be just fine if you run three of four years on an OCI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back