Recommend me a 225/50R17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully will be picking up a like-new set of stock Acura TSX 17" wheels this next weekend for the Accord for summer duty. The stock size of a 17" tire on a 2008-2012 Accord is a 225/50R17.

I am looking for a recommendation in this size. To kinda give some insight as to what I like in a tire, I had a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 in 215/60R16 at one point on the car and absolutely loved them. If I had of comparable quality to that -- I would be ecstatic. I value comfort, noise and I guess I'd say sidewall strength -- for instance, I don't really like when you try to lane change or turn and you can feel your sidewall roll. Tread-wear is important, however, it is what it is.

Thanks.

RT43, and buy Camry
lol.gif

"For summer duty" means you have a separate set of winter tires for the winter, right? So it sounds like you don't need winter/snow performance.

In that case, you may wish to consider grand touring summer tires. Since you like Michelin, they do have the Primacy HP in your size. The Primacy 3 is also a good choice.

Pirelli's Cinturato P1 may also satisfy your needs. You may also like the P7

The Vredestein Ultrac Satin also meets your criteria

Continental's max performance summer tires are made in your size. The ContiSportContact 5 is a good choice. If you want something a little cheaper, you can still get the older ContiSportContact 3. Conti's grand touring summer tires are called ContiPremiumContact, but I couldn't find any for sale in your size.

The Falken FK453 and Sumitomo HTR Z III are also max performance summer tires, but they don't cost very much and are made in Japan. There is also the Nexen N'Fera SU1

If you still want an all-season, Michelin does make the CrossClimate+ in your size 225/50-17. If you don't like that tire, Michelin just released something called the Primacy Tour A/S, which you will probably like if you liked your MXV4.

All kidding on a side (AND DO NOT GET RT43, especially not Camry). Get some true summer rubber like Michelin PSS or PS4S if it is available in that size. If not, Primacy HP as already suggested would work.

RT43.
lol.gif

I suggest the Premier A/S, but the treadlife can be lousy. The tires work great, but they just don't last for some people.

Originally Posted by The Critic
RT43.
lol.gif

I suggest the Premier A/S, but the treadlife can be lousy. The tires work great, but they just don't last for some people.

A/S is not summer tire.

Originally Posted by edyvw
RT43.
lol.gif

A/S is not summer tire.

I know, but he mentioned that his previous experience was with the Primacy MXV4 and he enjoyed them. The Primacy MXV4 is not a summer tire.

Originally Posted by edyvw
RT43.
lol.gif

A/S is not summer tire.

I know, but he mentioned that his previous experience was with the Primacy MXV4 and he enjoyed them. The Primacy MXV4 is not a summer tire.

I actually missed that.
Not sure does OP distinguish between A/S and summer tire.

For my 2015 Altima in my sig, the OE tires are Michelin Primacy MXV4 in 215-55-17(currently in winter storage) and I love them for the exact same reason "redhat" loves'em.

If you want a smooth & quiet tire, either get them again(if available in your size) or get the Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season PLUS(if available in your size).

Otherwise, I also recommend the RT43 and have used & recommended them in the past. However they're not as quiet but, the RT43 do other things better than the Michelin or Pirelli especially in the wet.

I personally have experience with all 3 of these tires mentioned and love them all but, for different reasons.

Here are your Accord's current size and what you are considering with one size that I also recommend:

Your Current Tire: 215-60-16...26.16
Recommend Tire:..215-55-17...26.31
Optional Tire:.........225-50-17...25.85

Last edited:
Originally Posted by redhat
….I had a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 in 215/60R16 at one point on the car and absolutely loved them. If I had of comparable quality to that -- I would be ecstatic......
I currently have a set of the V rated 215/50-17 RT 43s on a 3.0L Accord. Before that I had a set of V rated Primacy MXV4s. With 25k+ miles on them, ime the RT 43 compare very favorably to the Primacy in performance for significantly less money. Using your display locale, no experience how they would be in a snowy region.

I too would give consideration to the mentioned P7 Cinturato All Season Plus. Back in the summer, they were particularly well priced at several online tire sites, seem to have gone up since.

I have RT43s on my car right now for "summer" duty in a somewhat similar size (225/55/R18) and I would NOT recommend them for that usage.
My wife and daughter have them on their vehicles for all season duty and I think they are great for that...but they are not really quiet, comfortable, or sporty IMHO.
My priorities for summer use are not the same as the OPer's, but I had a great experience with GY Eagle Sport A/S tires before I bought the RT43s...I like to throw my little SUV around in good weather and those things really gripped even with the heavy, boxy vehicle. The RT43s feel squirmy in comparison and are not much fun for sporty driving. I had summer tires on a similarly sized RAV4 V6 (RAV6) and they were pretty fun, but I could definitely feel the sidewalls collapsing on those a few times and that never happened with the GYs. The Eagles were also good enough in winter conditions to get me through surprise snowstorms when I either hadn't put the winter rubber on or had just taken it off...
I will say that the RT43s are quite good in rain, I have pushed them a couple times in the wet to see what they would do and I had to go pretty hard to get them to slide a little and they recovered very quickly after that. The GYs could be a little more dramatic in the rain, wasn't a great strength for them when pushed.

My wife had MXV4s some time ago and my impression was that were a completely different tire from the RT43...not so great in winter, but smooth and grippy in dry weather. Maybe similar to my GYs but not quite as stiff in hard cornering.

OP, take a look at the Continental TrueContact Tour. I have a set in 225/50R17 on my Ford. My first 15K mile impressions are that they are significantly better than the Pirelli P7 AS Plus tires that they replaced.The Contis are significantly quieter, smoother, instill slightly more confidence in dry cornering, and are worlds better in the rain. The Pirellis handled fine in dry conditions but were thumpy for the first few miles, louder over rough pavement, and were borderline dangerous in the rain. Both tires have very good handling characteristics in light snow and on ice.

On a quality note, I received 3 out of round Pirellis and it took in excess of four months for Pirelli to finally find me a non-defective tire but I am still out about $100 worth of mounting and balancing charges that the warranty didn't pay for. All four Continentals mounted and balanced fine. Hopefully Pirelli has fixed their quality control issues by now (mine were purchased in early 2016) but I am not going to be buying any more tires from them for a bit.

In no particular order.
If you want a uhp all season for handling (on a non sports car)

Michelin pilot sport a/s 3 or conti DWS 06

less sporty than UHP

Cooper CS5 Ultra touring -V rated
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus
Michelin Premier
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus

Plenty more good tires I didnt list..

Besides potentially being harder, do UHPs generate more noise? I am thinking in the summer noise might be my biggest concern. And to answer some questions, yes, I have a dedicated set of tires for the winter (with different wheels). So truthfully I could do a summer only tire.

Besides potentially being harder, do UHPs generate more noise? I am thinking in the summer noise might be my biggest concern. And to answer some questions, yes, I have a dedicated set of tires for the winter (with different wheels). So truthfully I could do a summer only tire.

Summer-only tires will be quieter than all-seasons. One factor is that summer tires don't have sipes and thus have a smoother tread, which cuts down on the noise.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Summer-only tires will be quieter than all-seasons. One factor is that summer tires don't have sipes and thus have a smoother tread, which cuts down on the noise.

Not necessarily. It depends on what category the Summer tire is designed for. Most summer tires trade off NVH and comfort for dry grip, since in the US/Canada market, when we think summer tires, we think Ultra High Performance Summer or higher tires, not Grand Touring summer tires, which is why the market is heavily skewed to UHP, Max & Extreme Performance summer tires.

TireRack's GT Summer offering is the Bridgestone Turanza ER33, which its treadlife rating is only 140.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back