Genuine Toyota filter vs PREMIUM GUARD PG5608

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a comparison of the Genuine Toyota 04152-YZZA1 vs Parts Plus p967 (PREMIUM GUARD PG5608 ) from Rockauto. The cost of the PREMIUM GUARD PG5608 filter is $ 2.25 each. Both are the exact same size and the PREMIUM GUARD PG5608 is 3 grams heavier.

IMG_20190118_165325.jpg

IMG_20190118_165207.jpg

IMG_20190118_165159.jpg

IMG_20190118_165046.jpg

IMG_20190120_202809__01.jpg

IMG_20190120_202416.jpg

Multi-pass 96% efficiency and particles as small as 20 microns. This from PREMIUM GUARD website.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by brianw
Offers up to 96% initial efficiency. This from PREMIUM GUARD website.

At what particle size?

Originally Posted by andyd
I bought 10 Toyota filters for 35$ to my door. I thought I was getting a deal.
grin2.gif

You did. OEM filters you can have one less thing to worry about. Good deal filter that looks just like OEM but cheaper. It may be fine or even better but that thought will always be in the back of your mind that they cheaped out on something to make that price point and it might one day show up over a 10K OCI.

I'll pay the extra $2 every 6 months and not have a second thought.

Originally Posted by brianw
small as 20 microns

Seems to be the PG standard ... not bad.

Is the hole the exact same size on each? The center tube is on the engine I think. The PG medium looks a little thicker. Still, I would take OE, just me.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Is the hole the exact same size on each? The center tube is on the engine I think. ...
That's not a super-critical dimension, because the sealing surface is the end. I've had some cartridges that were needlessly snug on the center tube, and others that were the opposite---which has the advantage of allowing the filter to align itself on the sealing surfaces even if its geometry is a little skewed. Both those examples were US-made, and center-cap type construction.

A more important radial dimension is probably the gap between media and center tube.

Aside from the color of the media, I can't see a difference! And since Toyota doesn't release the efficiency data on their filters it's only speculation. There was the Amsoil test from several years ago that said they were 50% at 20 microns, (not that great) but that was a long while ago so who knows what they are now! I'd say either or would take your engine over 300k miles, though, at OEM intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back