Valvoline Premium Blue Restore

Originally Posted by Impatient
I read through your bench tests, but do you have any report on the usage in the Ranger yet?

I didn't get a UOA on it, which would have been interesting. I got it partly out of fascination with it as well as the fact that the Amsoil SS that I used previously got dark at low mileage, so I thought there may have been some deposits to clean up. The two prior oil change intervals were with M1 0W-20 EP, which made the engine quite noisy and the oil did not darken much. With the Valvoline, the engine was much more quiet and it ran a bit smoother. It did not darken much until around 4K miles and I changed it at 5k miles. I recently learned that other people also noted that Amsoil SS turned quite dark for them too, so I suspect that mine did not turn dark due to deposits and that I had little need of using Valvoline Restore. That's ok since I'd rather that be the case anyhow.

I am currently using this oil in my 2006 Gmc Envoy 5.3. It has 190,000 miles on it and has been eating some oil between OCIs. I talked to a GM mechanic about the prospect of doing ring job on this motor, because the vehicle is in really great condition body and drivetrain wise, except for the oil consumption. After talking to the mechanic, and JAG here, I decided to give this oil a whirl before dropping some major coin on rings, and see if this stuff will remove enough carbon so as not have to do the rings.

So far I have 300 miles on this experiment, from long highway miles, to short trips to the grocery store with the wife. Fram Ultra filter also. I was going to do a filter cut and post at 500 miles just to see how well this oil works on aged carbon buildup.

Originally Posted by Lignums
I am currently using this oil in my 2006 Gmc Envoy 5.3. It has 190,000 miles on it and has been eating some oil between OCIs. I talked to a GM mechanic about the prospect of doing ring job on this motor, because the vehicle is in really great condition body and drivetrain wise, except for the oil consumption. After talking to the mechanic, and JAG here, I decided to give this oil a whirl before dropping some major coin on rings, and see if this stuff will remove enough carbon so as not have to do the rings.

So far I have 300 miles on this experiment, from long highway miles, to short trips to the grocery store with the wife. Fram Ultra filter also. I was going to do a filter cut and post at 500 miles just to see how well this oil works on aged carbon buildup.

keep us posted. please.

If I was in the US where you have much better availibity to such things, I would be seriously tempted to run this oil with a bypass filter full time.

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
Really curious if this is safe to use in a turbo gas engine...

It's an intriguing product, isn't it ?

Ryder sells it online, $71/jug

https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/lp/valvoline-premium-blue-restore

Screenshot_20190119-015216_Samsung Internet.jpg

Worth nothing from the product info:

. Cummins® engine approved. For long-lasting, optimized operating conditions, Cummins recommends use of Valvoline Premium Blue Restore™ Oil and Fleetguard Cummins LF14000NN filter once a year or every 120,000 to 150,000 miles to help prevent carbon buildup from recurring

Do not use with any other oil. Should be used as a full volume fill product and must be run for one entire standard lubricating oil drain interval. Regular oil is then used in subsequent oil fills.

During the installation of Valvoline Premium Blue Restoreâ„¢ Oil, a Cummins Filtration LF 14000NN lubricating oil filter must also be installed or premature lubricating oil filter plugging may result. Lubricating oil filter plugging can result in internal engine damage. Fleetguard LF 14000NN filter's superior efficiency and capacity captures and holds the dissolved carbon without filter plugging.

They're recommending using a high capacity filter. They're expecting a lot of trash to come out.

The filter they reference is a seriously high capacity filter than is also a dual flow filter containing an internal bypass filter.

We used this oil in an ISX engine at work. The shop foreman schooled me a little before I used the truck and said it was very important not to top off with regular oil because it makes the special oil a lot less effective. They sent me down the road with 2 extra gallons but I didn't have to add anything, so it appears like the oil was working.

Hi all. This is my first post. I've been working with Terry Dyson for past five UOAs. We've analyzed Motul 8100, 6100, RLI and now I'm currently running Blue Restore in my 2017 Subaru STI with a Wix XP filter. I'm very anxious to see how my car reacts to this exotic oil. My car is tuned to run on flex fuel and makes 424 hp at the wheel on a Mustang dyno. My initial observations are slightly quieter idle and slightly smoother operation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieSTI
Hi all. This is my first post. I've been working with Terry Dyson for past five UOAs. We've analyzed Motul 8100, 6100, RLI and now I'm currently running Blue Restore in my 2017 Subaru STI with a Wix XP filter. I'm very anxious to see how my car reacts to this exotic oil. My car is tuned to run on flex fuel and makes 424 hp at the wheel on a Mustang dyno. My initial observations are slightly quieter idle and slightly smoother operation.

Thank you please let us know!

Maybe it's worthwhile to change filters half way through the interval.

Apparently, so long as the top off oil is more Restore.

For those who don't have a dual-flow filter available to them, an oversized Fram Ultra, or other very high efficiency filter would be the ticket.

My Rams are already on the LF9028 dual flow, so if I decide to run this oil in them (no reason to suspect I do, however) I'm already set up.

Originally Posted by huntsonora
I wonder how much more effective this would be at cleaning rings than just doing a few Kreen treatments? Thoughts?

Is Kreen a solvant? If so that would be the main difference to Blue Restore, it has no solvents in it. I can't get Terry to reveal anything due to his NDA with Cummins other than what the MSDS reveals. It has 30-50% ester and 10-20% hydrogenated polydecene, a popular polyalphaolefin PAO, synthetic oil basestock.

Last edited:
I wonder how much more effective this would be at cleaning rings than just doing a few Kreen treatments? Thoughts?

Is Kreen a solvant? If so that would be the main difference to Blue Restore, it has no solvents in it. I can't get Terry to reveal anything due to his NDA with Cummins other than what the MSDS reveals. It has 30-50% ester and 10-20% hydrogenated polydecene, a popular polyalphaolefin PAO, synthetic oil basestock.

They make work differently but if the Kreen is equally as effective for a fraction of the cost of might be worth doing first unless there's a reason the Restore would work better

They make work differently but if the Kreen is equally as effective for a fraction of the cost of might be worth doing first unless there's a reason the Restore would work better

Terry couldn't say much other than it was designed to clean with causing damage like solvents. Like other popular oils I've asked him about i.e. Motul 300V, if there's a better solution he would recommend it. Restore is more synthetic than anything on the market that he is aware of. It's expensive. I'm at about $100 for 5 quart fill. I'm doing it to compare to RLI 5w40 HD low ash.

I look forward to seeing your results. I'm looking at $250 or more for my 12 valve cummins so I would like to see some reviews

Back