747 prepares for Pacific ocean crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any idea who he flies for? I'm guessing that's a 747-200/400 based on the steam gauges and what I'd assume is a flight engineer in the third seat. I know Kalitta Air just retired the last of their 747-200's so my guess would be a 747-400. I wasn't aware that the 400 didn't have a glass cockpit and didn't have GPS integration for the inertial navigation units. Heck even my old P-3 had GPS INU's!

Originally Posted By: Astro14
747-400 has GPS, glass cockpit and NO FE.

This is a -100 or -200.

Thanks Astro! I'm not all that familiar with the 747 series so I wasn't sure which series had what. Wasn't it a 707 or 747 that was shot down kear the Kamchatka peninsula during the Cold War? If I remember correctly the shoot down of that aircraft prompted the civil use of GPS.

I thought I heard the pilot use ANA as the callsign, which is All Nippon Airways, probably All Nippon Cargo. The date is Feb 2012, so they were possibly still flying -200's.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Wasn't it a 707 or 747 that was shot down kear the Kamchatka peninsula during the Cold War? If I remember correctly the shoot down of that aircraft prompted the civil use of GPS.

You may be thinking of Korean Airlines flight 007. It took off from here in Anchorage, and it was a 747.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AlaskaMike
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Wasn't it a 707 or 747 that was shot down kear the Kamchatka peninsula during the Cold War? If I remember correctly the shoot down of that aircraft prompted the civil use of GPS.

You may be thinking of Korean Airlines flight 007. It took off from here in Anchorage, and it was a 747.

That is the exact incident I remember. Thanks!

FWIW, I was the engineer at the former Naval Air Development Center in Warminster, PA, that had Litton develop that integration.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: Blaze
Interesting narration by pilot but at 9:28 planes are diverted around a "cloud".

Is that "cloud" referring to Fukushima ?? I bet it is.
Yes that is what he was referring too.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
747-400 has GPS, glass cockpit and NO FE.

This is a -100 or -200.
Someone mentioned in the YouTube thread it was a 200. Built in 1988 and stored since Sept 2012.

I like how the flight engineer ends up in his undershirt eventually!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Blaze
Interesting narration by pilot but at 9:28 planes are diverted around a "cloud".

Just came from again viewing the video again. The pilot reminds me so much of my sons Scout master. He was a Vietnam era A4 REO. You can't imagine the navigation skills he pounded into the Scouts. I went on every camping trip in the 5 years my son was in Scouts because of the Scoutmaster. The Scout troops navigation skills with a compass topo map were stunning. I would go out into the wilds with these Scouts with complete confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back