Dissection of a baldwin B164

Found it odd to have a hole on the top of the filter

20190120_115843.jpg

20190120_115835.jpg

20190120_115827.jpg

20190120_115821.jpg

20190120_115817.jpg

20190120_115811.jpg

I have cut them open at work .Those filters were used on the flat head forklift engines..

Originally Posted by Purpfox
Dissection of a baldwin B164

Found it odd to have a hole on the top of the filter

REALLY REALLY WEIRD!!

It's NOT like the media is a such a restriction -

or at they really worried about a 100% media blockage scenario?

Originally Posted by Eddie
The small hole is to allow the filter to prime fast. Ed

Sorry I must have mu dunce cap on tonight (locally) ................ aint gonna serve that purpose at all - from where I sit all its doing is always allowing dirty oil past the filter element...............

As I said I must be dense tonight - that thing sitting on the spring pushing against the filter will never in its life be able to act as a bypass in the way its fitted in the pics - there is always higher pressure on the outside of the filter element and lower pressure on the inside of the element ..............cannot see how its ever going to open/unseat against the spring pressure unless you have reverse flow with oil flowing from the center of the filter to the outside.

Last edited:
There's 2 holes one for the norm that we all see under normal assembled views. Id rather the back hole not be there for a bypass element

There's 2 holes one for the norm that we all see under normal assembled views. Id rather the back hole not be there for a bypass element

I have several Hastings LF334 filters at home - I need to shine a light down there and see if they have a hole in the same location

I use the B-50 version on my trucks. I'll have to cut one open to see if it is the same as the one you cut open.. A direct match from WIX for the B-50 is 51050. Does anyone know why there would be a hole there? I'll look up the Baldwin number and give them a call and see if anyone there can lend some information.

I got a reply from Randy Allen at Parker which is the company that makes Baldwin Filters:

The hole in the bottom end cap is a warm up orifice. Oil would never get warm enough to flow through the filter element without it. By-pass filters are designed to filter the oil over time and only a small percentage of the oil goes through the filter.

Regards,
Randy

That's interesting as the wix version dose not have that hole. As well as having a similar rating. Considering I'm running a .030" restrctor and it has almost a 1/16" orifice. The wix had no issues flowing.

Last edited:
Purpfox

Have you ever cut open a Wix 51050 filter? I'm figuring that it would be made the same way as the filter you cut open. I use either the Wix 50150 or the Baldwin B50, whatever is cheaper.

I cut one open, i just didnt take any pics. I cut every oil filter that crosses my path. The only reason i took pics of the 164 was the odd hole. Otherwise decent build filter.

I cut one open, i just didnt take any pics. I cut every oil filter that crosses my path. The only reason i took pics of the 164 was the odd hole. Otherwise decent build filter.

Sir: what vehicle or piece of equipment was the filter on and hours or miles ran or driven? Thank you for post and good pics
wink.gif

Originally Posted by xtell
I got a reply from Randy Allen ...... Oil would never get warm enough to flow through the filter element without it.

Bovine Scataloney!

This is deducted from ACTUAL research? I am not buying that. maybe if the media was 1 micron absolute, it would make sense.

That's what I was thinking as well. Cheryl Keller at Parker was the one that forwarded my email to Randy. He has "EMAM / PFG" after his name but I do not know what that stands for as far as company lingo goes. I'll email him back and ask him as to if he can further clarify what he said. How I'm understanding it is "unfiltered oil flows through the orifice to fill the filter and eventually heat it up so oil can flow through the filtering medium? ".

Stude,
This was ran as a bypass for my 17 f150 with 2.7L. was ran for one OCI about 8k miles.
removed due to no change in the PC. Oil wasn't getting any dirtier but wasn't improving.
Currently testing a Donaldson 5um = 1000 element.

Stude,
This was ran as a bypass for my 17 f150 with 2.7L. was ran for one OCI about 8k miles.
removed due to no change in the PC. Oil wasn't getting any dirtier but wasn't improving.
Currently testing a Donaldson 5um = 1000 element.

Thank You very much for the info
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back