Any bowlers out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am one. I don't play in a league, but try to bowl at least twice a week. Local alley closed down but there is one just inside Ohio line me and the woman go to
smile.gif

Used to belong in 2 leagues. I use to love it even though I wasn't any good. Only carried about a 152 ave. Then I'd knock off a 252 game. IDKY!

I used to be but it was a long time ago. Used to love bowling duckpins where I grew up.

Bowlers are Good People.
I haven't bowled in years (but I am a good person).

Near-by, a Ford Dealership expanded by buying the Bowling Alley next-door.
You never mess with a Bowler, I felt sorry for them.

It's cheap entertainment on a cold day.

$15 buys a pitcher of domestic beer, shoes and 4 rounds for 2 people.

I've been in the same league over 20 years. The kind of league where people roll in with 4-8 bowling balls each night. Still looking for an 800 series. Highest is 798.

Funny thing about bowling alleys in my experience is that they're either closed or jam packed.

A fine, wholesome activity it is.

Would my 8th grade league count?

Bowled last week for the first time in probably 5 years. It was a hilariously poor performance.

Still had a great time.
grin2.gif

So this is one of the interesting aspects of BITOG; occasionally things come up you assume everyone knows about but don't and you find out it is a regional anomaly.

(e.g. Brown bread in a can)

Duck pin bowling is the bowling I grew up on. The balls are smaller and you get three, not two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duckpin_bowling

Candle pin bowling appears to be concentrated in certain areas of the country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlepin_bowling

The place I bowled occasionally in the 70's and 80's, T-Bowl, recently closed.

Never touched the big balls until my mid twenties. We have a quite a well stocked bowling league @ work; i was surprised by the # of people who bowl.

Last edited:
I'd like to get back into it again, I used to enjoy it. Too far to drive on the weekend, too busy during the week.

Played in a junior league as a kid (just kids learning how), had my own bowling ball. Outgrew that and never replaced it. Still bowl with a light ball, prefer it over what I'm "supposed" to use.

I've done candlepin a time or two, but haven't warmed up to it--usually the first toss winds up like a softball pitch.

Used to bowl starting in middle school to college - not in leagues though. Most of the alleys closed up and are either vacant or demolished and apartment buildings got built in it's place. There's only a few left but most of the time it's reserved for leagues but I hear most leagues are moving to the alleys on the military bases freeing them up.

Thanks to all you guys for stories and info. I could a store I saw a show on travel channel about a underground bowling alley in Minnesota or Wisconsin; have to investigate

As a kid I was in a lot of leagues. Did a father and son league too. Just lost interest as an adult.

I've been out of bowling for 39 years, bowling 3 leagues 9pm, I had to get away, hated it, having been a good bowler, never a 700 series though high game of 278. I started this June, bowling 70! My age is 67. I was looking forward to breaking 100! A few months ago my high game was 257 but that was an anomaly. Now I can easily bowl 170+, with many games 180-195. I'm still learning to make my 10 pin spares with this new curving 14# urethane ball, Storm Hy-Road. Many times I throw my first ball at the 10 pin then try to make what's left over.

Most of the alleys during the day bowling is $2.50 game, one alley is $2/game, another $1.50/game, Sunday mornings one alley is $1/game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back