What is the point of this Subaru battery sleeve?

I changed the battery yesterday and the old battery had this sleeve around it. Not a heater. Not a lot of foam to insulate, more like foam weather stripping around the top edge. It sloped down in front so one could see the battery acid level in the translucent case of Panasonic battery.

Here is one on eBay. I put it back on with new battery. Not sure how much value it is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/09-13-Subaru-Forester-XT-Battery-Cover-Sleeve-Guard-Blanket-Insulator/173156008020?fits=Make%3ASubaru&hash=item2850e70054:g:eek:fUAAOSwQqNcP-IW

It is an insulator, but not a very good one, but a cheap one. If you short trip your car the heat soak going into the battery isn't as bad. Not every driver or situation, but enough to help the warranty numbers. My saturn s-series had one that was kind of like wetsuit foam rubber.

They were fairly common. This one is a 2000-2007 Ford Taurus design.

5D88DCF0-52E8-40CE-BFC8-1825CDF2AC7E.jpeg

My 89 LeBaron 2.2T had one. It had standoffs on the inside to maintain about 1/4" air gap. Coincidence or not, it had the only battery I've ever gotten 10 years out of: an Advance Autocraft Silver. Of course they are not the same battery today.

Bought our 2010 Forester a couple of years back. I replaced battery just a few weeks ago with a Battery from Sams club.I tossed the black battery insulator in the trash. It was nasty looking and not tight enough to actually provide any insulation value. I have a battery heating pad underneath it that I can plug in during sub zero temps as needed.

Originally Posted by HangFire
An explanation: http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/battery-insulator-put-it-back-after-replacing-battery/

I think the insulation level has to be a compromise of short term cooling after startup and during the initial deep charge phase, and shielding after engine shutoff.

Originally Posted by BJD78
Bought our 2010 Forester a couple of years back. I replaced battery just a few weeks ago with a Battery from Sams club.I tossed the black battery insulator in the trash. It was nasty looking and not tight enough to actually provide any insulation value. I have a battery heating pad underneath it that I can plug in during sub zero temps as needed.

Shielding from heat is not just about insulation value. If it's a heat shield, it should fit loosely.

Manufacturers treat batteries weird. I've even seen a number of vehicles that had ram air ducts running front the front of the car to the battery. Some isolate the battery entirely from the engine bay in a cowl area (Germans mostly).

In my friend's '12 Dodge Avenger the battery is in the bottom of the engine bay. The front, left wheel needs to be removed and the wheel well liner loosened to access it. I wonder how many places would install a new battery in it for free? And he's due for a new one soon! Although it sounds like he's waiting for it to fail.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
In my friend's '12 Dodge Avenger the battery is in the bottom of the engine bay. The front, left wheel needs to be removed and the wheel well liner loosened to access it. I wonder how many places would install a new battery in it for free? And he's due for a new one soon! Although it sounds like he's waiting for it to fail.

My Journey was like that.

In the Caravan it has a wool feeling blanket that fits loosely around it. Not sure why it's needed because there is ample air flow around the battery.
21.gif

Seen a lot of vw and skoda cars that have a battery bag sort of thermal box on them. Not sure if its to prevent the battery getting too cold or too hot or both.

The one on my 2010 Forester is just cheap plastic with bubble wrap in between the layers, it does not fit firmly enough to provide any insulation value one way or another. You could wrap battery tight with just bubble wrap and duct tape and it would work better. I get rid of the things and my batteries last 5 to 7 years max whether they have a battery sleeve on or not. The one thing that does work in a cold Nebraska winter is a battery warmer wrap that is plugged into an electrical outlet .Uses about 60 watts and keeps battery warm.I have one but never use it unless temps are below -10. Usually once or twice per winter.

Originally Posted by Donald
Some of the battery insulation products on Amazon are a flexible insulation material that you wrap around the battery and tape it closed. So no air gap.

Do they actually make a difference?

Originally Posted by slybunda
Originally Posted by Donald
Some of the battery insulation products on Amazon are a flexible insulation material that you wrap around the battery and tape it closed. So no air gap.

Do they actually make a difference?

I am not sure. That would take a lot of work to determine. At this point I am not sure what the main goal is of the Subaru supplied sleeve? Is it to help with the heat for several minutes after shutdown?

You could just cut some bubble wrap to size the battery sides ,and tape it around the battery and it would do the same thing and be cheaper cheaper, probably less than $2.00. Or you could go without insulation and the battery will last just as long and work just as well.

Whenever I change a battery in a Subaru or other car with those things I always put it back on the new battery. A lot of people don't judging by how many core return batteries come in with those things still around them...

I have a friend who's retired now but when he was younger, had a store called the Battery Terminal. He sold everything from wristwatch batteries to 8D's. He charged four dollars to swap a car battery. Usually, it was a five minute operation but in the case of VW's or Volvos or some others, he would get burned.
Anyway, he used to always throw those sleeves away and complain that they were the most ridiculous thing he had ever seen. Once, I drove up in my wife's car, bought a battery and went outside to swap it out. I took the sleeve off the old battery and put it on the new one. He went nuts. I said the factory doesn't do ANYTHING for free and without a bunch of R&D. It's gotta be good for SOMETHING. If it had been a tattered, dirty mess, I probably would have tossed it but it was in good shape so it went back on the car.

My Suburban does not have one and the battery is up against the firewall on the passenger side. Plenty far away from the passenger side exhaust so I guess it didn't need it.

changing battery and found the sleeve on the old battery. it must be there for a reason like said above factory would not put it on if they didnt have to and save the monies.

Back