5W30 Synthetic Oils With HTHS of 3.5 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What non - high mileage 5W30 synthetic oils meet HTHS of at least 3.5 ? ... Thanks in advance as HTHS spec. is hard to find for Pennzoil , M1 , Quaker State , Castrol , etc.

iirc Red Line & maybe German Castrol if they still make them! It maybe called something else like euro edge a3/b3?!

Not HM and at least 3.5 ? Why not just go M1 0W40 at 3.6 … good stuff with credentials …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Not HM and at least 3.5 ? Why not just go M1 0W40 at 3.6 … good stuff with credentials …

Fair cop...that's probably the universal go anywhere in anything oil.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
What non - high mileage 5W30 synthetic oils meet HTHS of at least 3.5 ? ... Thanks in advance as HTHS spec. is hard to find for Pennzoil , M1 , Quaker State , Castrol , etc.

No ILSAC oil will have HTHS >= 3.5 cP because it can't meet the fuel-economy performance otherwise.

As others said, you'll need a Euro oil or an xW-40.

Look for a VW 502 spec oil in 5W30. You could also look for a ACEA A3 5W30. The VW 502 spec allows for a mid-saps and a full-saps to meet the spec. If you want to avoid mid-saps, don't get something that states BMW LL04 on the bottle. Full-saps will be the A3 variety.

Any oil viscosity in the VW 502 spec oil will have a minimum HTHS of 3.5, however, there really isn't much room wiggle room in the 5W30 varieties meeting the VW spec as it is nearly a 40W.
Such thick 5W30's are between 3.5-3.6 realistically.

And while the majors make such oils, they are harder to obtain and more expensive.

That being said, in my GTI, I'm running Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 which is one of a few oils meeting the A5 spec.

Originally Posted by wemay
Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30

Yep, as well as Mobil 1 5w30 ESP Formula (and the new 5w30 ESP, they dropped the Formula from the name) Also, Valvoline makes an MST 5w30 which is dexos2 and has an HTHS over 3.5.

Castrol also has at least one (if not 2 or 3) versions of 5w30 that are A3/B3 but not yet available in North America (to the best of my knowledge) but hopefully they'll offer them soon.

I think these higher HTHS 5w30s are a great choice for a lot of harder driven cars that might have originally gone with a 5w40 or a 0w40. You get an oil with almost the same HTHS but with a lot less VII.

Right now the best deal going has to be Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 though, it's the only one you'll find at Walmart in a 5 quart jug and it's often under $23, and even here in Canada it's often on sale at Canadian Tire for $32 for 5L. None of the other choices are even close to this price. (that being said, I don't mind paying extra for the original M1 5w30 ESP Formula as I think on paper it's by far the best oil in this category)

Delvac 1 ESP 5W30} 3.6 HTHS, 241C Flash Point, 12.0 cst@100C, API SN. As good as it gets (on paper) for a 5W30 motor oil. Consequently, it will be my next go to small engine oil for my Honda
EU6500is generator which recommends a 30 weight oil. Overkill? Yes. Kind of like killing a fly with a sledgehammer.

or if you consider a 10W30} Shaeffer #709 Supreme, or Amsoil Metric MCT 10W30. Both have a 3.5 HTHS.

Why hung up on 5w30, manu's are using 0w40 like 5w30's building them right on the the edge of what a 30 weight is, when in use it is a 5w30 for all intense purposes. PUP 0w40 is just a little high but that GtL will shear to 5w30 in no time and has a GREAT additive package, m1 built right on the edge of the 12.5 cSt threshold. Redline is the easy answer and goes above your 3.5, but another option is 5w40 Motul, I know you are thinking [censored], but 5w40 Motul cSt is 12.7, so .2 away from being a 30 weight.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies - my 2.4L Hyundai GDI engine can't use a 0W40 under warrantee , so need to stay with a 30W oil on the thicker side for max boundary layer protection for *potential rod bearing issues .

*To date since 2012 issues began , Hyundai has replaced 168,000 2.4L GDI engines crippled by the evil knock and subsequent rod bearing failures . Hyundai believes they have incrementally addressed the issue each year since and 2.4L GDI engines after 2015 "should" be ok - but I'm not taking any chances if I can help it (while Hyundai will replace any blown engine with rod bearing failure under warrantee - it will be just my luck I'll be in a remote area when it happens thus as thick a 5W30 synthetic oil I can find for preventative measures rod bearing failures plus no more than a 5K OCI .)

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Thanks for the replies - my 2.4L Hyundai GDI engine can't use a 0W40 under warrantee , so need to stay with a 30W oil on the thicker side for max boundary layer protection for *potential rod bearing issues .

*To date since 2012 issues began , Hyundai has replaced 168,000 2.4L GDI engines crippled by the evil knock and subsequent rod bearing failures . Hyundai believes they have incrementally addressed the issue each year since and 2.4L GDI engines after 2015 "should" be ok - but I'm not taking any chances if I can help it (while Hyundai will replace any blown engine with rod bearing failure under warrantee - it will be just my luck I'll be in a remote area when it happens thus as thick a 5W30 synthetic oil I can find for preventative measures rod bearing failures plus no more than a 5K OCI .)

Most of the Hyundai/Kia engine failures (connecting rod bearings) are concentrated in MY 2011-2014. In MY 2015. a redesigned oil pump/balance shaft assembly was introduced. Let's hope that takes care of the problem.

Originally Posted by Patman
wemay said:
Yep, as well as Mobil 1 5w30 ESP Formula (and the new 5w30 ESP, they dropped the Formula from the name) Also, Valvoline makes an MST 5w30 which is dexos2 and has an HTHS over 3.5.

Is the Valvoline MST dexos2 a new thing? I have a jug of MST 5W30, maybe a year old, that says "dexos approved generation 2" (sort of ambiguous) on the front, on the back it says "dexos 1" approved.

Last edited:
There are many.

Pennzoil
Motul
Liqui moly
Castrol
Mobil 1
Valvoline
Ravenol
Total

Look for ACEA A3, B3, B4, or C3.

Cheapest, and I'd argue one of the best (GTL based + Manufacturer approvals), is PP Euro L.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back