Permatex High Tack (80062)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you used this when replacing a transmission pan gasket? Is it best just to use it to keep the gasket from slipping as it is installed, put it on both sides for extra leak protection or avoid altogether?

I have used the Permatex Indian Head on all kinds of gaskets,valve covers, transmission pans, oil pans thermostat gaskets ,rear diff gaskets for over 4 decades now. Good stuff and has never leaked. High tack would work just as well.

Have read general advise to not use RTV where not originally equipped on trans pans, as the "worms" get loose and wreak havoc.

Suppose if you have to do it, do it in moderation.

Can you stuff the bolts through the tight gasket holes so they act like locating dowels until you get it installed?

It depends on the gasket type, material and flanges.

Flat gaskets (cork, rubber, nitrile) that might squeeze out often specify an adhesive gasket compound, generally on one side that is removed and mostly easily cleaned. Contoured gaskets generally shouldn't be gooped up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BJD78
I have used the Permatex Indian Head on all kinds of gaskets,valve covers, transmission pans, oil pans thermostat gaskets ,rear diff gaskets for over 4 decades now. Good stuff and has never leaked. High tack would work just as well.

Isn't Indian Head basically shellac and meant for old school paper type gaskets? Basically it can make a fiber based gasket more leakproof. Nowdays most gaskets would be made of a material that is already leakproof..

It says shellac on the bottle, but it Works on any gasket as far as I know. I have used in on vehicles from to 60's to present without problems. Modern gaskets will often leak when used alone without some sort of gasket sealer. Never used the High tack stuff,but imagine it would be similar and do the same job. Price is always decent on the Indian Head stuff about $3 or $4 is what my last bottle cost from NAPA.

High Tack is a spray that will work on most gasket material EXCEPT rubber/silicone. Like others have said, apply it only to the pan side.

It also makes a great battery terminal protector as it doesn't harden and will even self heal minor scratches like jumper cable connections.

The gasket for my truck is farpak. I'm not sure what that is. I've ordered the filter kit. My car is metal between rubber. Will the high tack at least work to keep the gasket in place for either or both of these if I apply it only to the pan side? Are there possible problems from using it on a rubber gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back