2007 Camry V6 feedback......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought this car, I've had great luck with Toyota's in the past. Anything I should look out for as far as weak links on these cars ? thanks

AFAIK the weak link may be the I4 oil consumption?

Aside from that, really as with many cars in my sig, the weak link is appliance boringness and reliability.

Bought yourself a solid and dependable ride

The first years of the V6 2GR-FE engine had a weak link in that pressurized oil hose to the OCVs was kinked tightly and rubber. Some blew off and destroyed engines. There was a recall for it and a metal one installed; you want to make sure that was performed.

For 2007 MY's that had the recall done early, the replacement part also failed. So there was a 2nd recall. So you REALLY want to make sure the OCV lines (the VVTi actuators) are good.

Last edited:
As mentioned, check for all recalls. Also, wasn't this one of the Toyota's involved in the unintended acceleration issue?
Again, check for recall on this as well. I believe(if this is the case) that Toyota replaced the accelerator pedal unit.

The 2GR-FE is a 3.5L engine. The earliest reported model to use it was the Avalon in 2004 models.

OP, it's a great and reliable motor. Those few issues that it has, has been expressed above. I find that if I use thin 30 weight oils in the hot months (>90F), I hear light piston slap. People have said you cant stop it by changing weights, and they are probably right. That said, I believe you can alleviate the wear caused by it by using a thick 30 weight oil (ACEA A3/B4,) or a thin 40 weight.

Originally Posted by Kira
When was the 2GR-FE brought to market? Would a 2003 Toyota (3.0l) have this engine?

2003 3.0 v6 Camrys had the 1MZ-FE.

1MZ-FE was used in the Camry 1993-2006 per Wikipedia.

They're decent cars, but the early ones can have some strange issues. These are common items that I've seen:

1- Struts leak all the time, especially the rears
2- Low Pressure Return Line for the P/S system
3- Passenger side inner cv boot gets cracked due to the close proximity to the exhaust system
4- Timing Cover leaks
5- Water Pumps leak

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Originally Posted by Kira
When was the 2GR-FE brought to market? Would a 2003 Toyota (3.0l) have this engine?
No. That is a !MZ-FE 182 cu. in.

Just in regards to the Camry V6s. In this generation Camry('02-'06), Toyota offered both, the 3.0L & 3.3L V6 in 2004, '05, '06 only.

In the 2007 Camry redesign, Toyota went straight to the 3.5L V6 and has stayed with this displacement ever since even though it gets refreshed frequently. And now for 2018 the V6 has been redesigned while keeping with the same 3.5L displacement.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
The first years of the V6 2GR-FE engine had a weak link in that pressurized oil hose to the OCVs was kinked tightly and rubber. Some blew off and destroyed engines. There was a recall for it and a metal one installed; you want to make sure that was performed.

For 2007 MY's that had the recall done early, the replacement part also failed. So there was a 2nd recall. So you REALLY want to make sure the OCV lines (the VVTi actuators) are good.

You want to make sure that oil line I replaced with the steel line and not rubber.

Check this link for details.
https://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

We have a 2007 Avalon, which we got new. It has the same engine, but maybe different transmission. Essentially, it's the same car, the Avalon being simply a well-dressed, stretched Camry. Ours has the older five-speed, which we're perfectly happy with. In those years, they were switching to the six-speed, IIRC. To date, my wife has only managed to put on 70k miles. Other than it being a bit thirsty, we have no real complaints, though we're getting some first hints. My wife now reports that occasionally, the AC just doesn't work, but usually it does. Strange. As for the basics, the engine behaves flawlessly, and when you look in the filler, all you see is clean bare metal. For the last few years, I just change the oil once per year with another fill of M1-EP.

Oh yeah, then there's that dastardly cartridge type oil filter on the bottom of the engine. Compared to a spin-on, it's a total pain and mess-maker. That said, the positives of the rest of the car far outweigh this one blemish. Good luck, though, if you do your own oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back